An adoption awareness month request

iamshack

Seems like adoption occurs just infrequently enough (or seems to, based on our assumptions of blood relations by appearance) that we just assume families are blood related. I have a sibling that was given up for adoption before mum was ready. They ended up getting in touch. Things are complicated, but good lord are they the same exact person.

My parents were foster parents for a few kids during my childhood years, and we eventually adopted my sister who had been with us since she was 1.

However I think that this person is making half that stuff up in there for the sake of the story. It just doesn't sound right.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 06:40 AM)
My parents were foster parents for a few kids during my childhood years, and we eventually adopted my sister who had been with us since she was 1.

However I think that this person is making half that stuff up in there for the sake of the story. It just doesn't sound right.

In the interest of full disclosure, the author is an acquaintance of mine...I can't vouch for whether the events in the article actually occurred, but I will say that she has faced these sorts of ignorant comments before.

I remember when I first met her, hearing about her background and her story...it actually IS really interesting and almost hard to believe. And if you actually saw her in person (she is, well, very stunning in many ways), I think you could imagine people saying these things to her, especially on a cruise. But then you meet her and she's this really bright writer, educated at Northwestern, lived all over the country applying her trade, and has moved up quickly within her industry.

I see no reason at all to think this woman is making up anything in that article. There's not any outlandish or fantastical claims. I just read this buzzfeed piece on what's called "microaggressions" (awkward academic-speak word) and some of the examples are pretty similar to what she describes.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/hnigatu/racial-mic...n-a-daily-basis

specifically, this one (I assume she's either adopted or biracial):

enhanced-buzz-18925-1386285847-35.jpg

I have an adopted uncle, but you wouldn't know it looking at him.

Edited by StrangeSox

Microaggressions. just another way to say you are racist/sexist/ageist/etc. whether you are or not. You all must hang out with some pretty rude people. If I saw a white couple with a black or asian kid, I wouldn't think twice about it, much less ask them if they are a spouse or kidnapping victim. Unless they were struggling to get away or something, of course. Not saying people aren't out there and can do it, just that is seemed embellished to me. Perhaps not, as the timeframe for those events to have happened could have been a large span. Either way, there should be no stigma for adoption. And apparently some people need to learn to be quiet.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 10:48 AM)
Microaggressions. just another way to say you are racist/sexist/ageist/etc. whether you are or not. You all must hang out with some pretty rude people. If I saw a white couple with a black or asian kid, I wouldn't think twice about it, much less ask them if they are a spouse or kidnapping victim. Unless they were struggling to get away or something, of course. Not saying people aren't out there and can do it, just that is seemed embellished to me. Perhaps not, as the timeframe for those events to have happened could have been a large span. Either way, there should be no stigma for adoption. And apparently some people need to learn to be quiet.

This just happened recently, and could easily apply to a black couple who adopted a white child.