Jesus Montero?

hi8is

The Mariners are letting teams know that Jesus Montero and Justin Smoak are available in trade talks, according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today (via Twitter). The report comes on the heels of the Mariners striking deals to add Corey Hart and Logan Morrison to their lineup.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 03:19 AM)
The Mariners are letting teams know that Jesus Montero and Justin Smoak are available in trade talks, according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today (via Twitter). The report comes on the heels of the Mariners striking deals to add Corey Hart and Logan Morrison to their lineup.

Not a catcher, dont need another DH.

I know he was a highly touted prospect but he's never put it together thus far in the bigs. From what I recall, he's a somewhat questionable defender, strikes out a lot, has a low walk rate, but has the potential to be a cost controlled heavy slugging catcher - especially if paired at the cell.

Not overly excited about this prospect but it's worth some discussion.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 04:19 AM)

Pass! He stinks

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 10:10 AM)
Ackley, Smoak, and Montero for Beckham, Viceido and Flowers. Busts for busts. Done deal

Ick. Beckham's better than Ackley, Viciedo is better than Smoak. Montero is better than Flowers and probably has the highest ceiling of them all, but I don't want any of those guys.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 10:27 AM)
It wasn't that long ago that Montero was a huge prize. What a bust, and he can't catch.

The Mariners are the prime example of why trading Chris Sale is so crazy. Over the past decade, they've had Olivo, Reed, Morse, Ackley, Smoak, Montero, and a ton of others come up and bust.

Just pay Dunn's salary and send him to the Mariners in the deal for Smoak. The Sox are stuck paying him $15M anyway no matter what & I think the odds are pretty small even a fairly productive Dunn brings back anything greater at the deadline than what we got out of Thornton.

Dunn + Lindstrom + cash for Smoak + prospect.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 11:44 AM)
Funny how they traded Asdrubal Cabrera & Shin Soo Choo for bench players, dumped Morse but then traded back for him, traded Jones in the Bedard deal. Traded Fister too for Casper Wells. They've had like 5 or 6 good guys & they traded/dumped them all.

Its not like Cabrera and Choo were under the radar either. Their minor leage stats (specifically Choo) were staggering. What incredibly dumb short-sighted trades.

Edited by Jillian Michaels' Abs

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 11:42 AM)
Just pay Dunn's salary and send him to the Mariners in the deal for Smoak. The Sox are stuck paying him $15M anyway no matter what & I think the odds are pretty small even a fairly productive Dunn brings back anything greater at the deadline than what we got out of Thornton.

Dunn + Lindstrom + cash for Smoak + prospect.

Being that Smoak is form my hometown, I've read up on him quite a bit. Word is Seattle isn't read to give up on him just yet.

QUOTE (Jillian Michaels' Abs @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 11:47 AM)
Being that Smoak is form my hometown, I've read up on him quite a bit. Word is Seattle isn't read to give up on him just yet.

What did they get Morrison for then? I think they're just dumb. Morrison is the unique combination of suckage + team distraction, and it looks like they've just used him to block Smoak right after Smoak took a step forward (albeit a small step given his potential).

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 11:52 AM)
What did they get Morrison for then? I think they're just dumb. Morrison is the unique combination of suckage + team distraction, and it looks like they've just used him to block Smoak right after Smoak took a step forward (albeit a small step given his potential).

Yea, its a head-scratcher for sure. They are essentially the same player. Morrison's power was ruined by the new Marlins park, but was also hurt a lot.

Out of the draft, Smoak was talked up as a John Olerud type hitter with hopes of him developing power and also as a gold glove quality first baseman, and he's been pretty average defensively and pretty poor offensively. There's been talk of him abandoning switch-hitting to hit lefthanded only. He is essentially all they have to show for the Cliff Lee trade (which you should add to your "List of Awful Mariners Trades" btw :)

Edited by Jillian Michaels' Abs