White Sox pick Adrian Nieto in Rule 5 draft

dayan024

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This has become something Hahn has done far differently than Williams. During Williams' tenure, I can really only remember the Sox taking Jason Grilli with a Rule 5 pick. Hahn attempted to settle the utilitiy infielder role with a Rule 5 pick last year with Angel Sanchez last year, and now they are at least attempting to add to the catcher's competition this year with Nieto. At such minimal cost, there's no point in at least attempting to bring someone in every year unless your 25 man roster is virtually set already. I like this quite a bit.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 08:10 AM)
This has become something Hahn has done far differently than Williams. During Williams' tenure, I can really only remember the Sox taking Jason Grilli with a Rule 5 pick. Hahn attempted to settle the utilitiy infielder role with a Rule 5 pick last year with Angel Sanchez last year, and now they are at least attempting to add to the catcher's competition this year with Nieto. At such minimal cost, there's no point in at least attempting to bring someone in every year unless your 25 man roster is virtually set already. I like this quite a bit.

In all fairness, it is really hard trying to hide a position player on your roster when you are in win mode. Hahn selected the guy last year and he wasn't the typical rule 5 guy as he was a veteran with some experience.

There is nothing to lose here. Hopefully he shows enough to stick, or enough to keep and then they could work something out with the Nationals.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 09:19 AM)
Yeah. Would he have been eligible for the AAA draft? Would have made sense there. Here, not so much. Oh well.

Baseball America had him listed as a "Player who can help now" so there's a chance he wouldn't be.

EDIT: You said eligible, I read it as available.....Further more I'm not even sure how the draft works so ya, I guess just take my comment for what it is lol.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 08:29 AM)
Bruce Levine ‏@MLBBruceLevine 56s

Wh Sox take second catcher , Omar Narbaze from Tampa .

Talk about a guy with virtually no power. He does have a good eye though. His arm is where he makes his living though, great percentage of CS.

Edited by SoxAce