White Sox pick Adrian Nieto in Rule 5 draft

dayan024

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 08:32 AM)
This is the minor league portion, I think AAA

With the Nieto selection, two of Flowers, Gimenez, and Phegley have to start in AAA, so why another AAA catcher? This is turning into a big middle finger to all our current catchers

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 08:34 AM)
With the Nieto selection, two of Flowers, Gimenez, and Phegley have to start in AAA, so why another AAA catcher? This is turning into a big middle finger to all our current catchers

lol. This is baseball and they all three sucked last year. They can deal with it.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 08:33 AM)
I'm the biggest critic of our catching position and even I think that's a big longshot.

My thinking is, if this guy is anywhere close to Flowers or Phegley during spring training, the Sox might decide to go with a him and the better of Flowers/Phegley only because it adds flexibility.

I, however, will admit I don't know a lot about this guy. I just know that as it stands now, our catching position sucks.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 08:35 AM)
lol. This is baseball and they all three sucked last year. They can deal with it.

I don't feel sorry for them, it's professional sports and they didn't get it done. But still surprising we are replacing via the Rule V draft.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 08:34 AM)

They gave a big middle finger to the White Sox major league team last year too. Stockpile young talent as much as possible.

Also, in the minor league portion, you are rarely ever going to see those guys returned to their original teams. The cost is even less prohibitive in those. I want to say it's like $25K to draft someone in the AAA with a $12.5K return and like $10K or $20K in the AA with a $5-10K return. Plus it's the minors, so it's far easier to stash someone.

This is like playing the daily lottery. You throw in a dollar, so what, you probably are going to lose. But if your number comes up, it's more than worth it. The odds are stacked against any of these guys actually helping the White Sox. Just go back over the rule 5 in recent years and it filled with names you will only hear when your searching for a better rate on your homeowners insurance. But, there is always a chance it works out.

1) Omar Narvaez: Another graduate from the Rays Venezuelan baseball academy, Narvaez showed serious hitting skills in the VSL in his two years there. In 2009 he went .315/.390/.394 and in 2010 he was .308/.420/.371. It is very hard to predict how players coming from the VSL will perform when they come stateside. There are few pro scouting reports available on players and the league is comprised of teenagers. The one thing that stands out about Narvaez immediately though, is the fact that in his three minor league seasons he has never struck out more than he's walked. That is impressive at any level, and is certainly indicative of a good batting eye and an ability to make consistent contact. He has shown little power to this point, but his on base skills more than make up for that and he is still growing into his body. Narvaez also possesses good catch and throw skills, having thrown out basestealers at an above 50 percent clip for three straight seasons. Narvaez is a very intriguing player, and there is a lot to like from what he has shown so far in the organization.

Sounds rather intriguing.

Moran went fifth. Would have preferred him to add to our collection of dismal LH arms instead of adding to our collection of dismal catchers.

Mateo from the Cubs was the 8th player selected. Little surprising there. He seemed to be the top of everyone's list. Two position players drafted compared to seven pitchers. I imagine the position players are both longshots.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 08:46 AM)
Moran went fifth. Would have preferred him to add to our collection of dismal LH arms instead of adding to our collection of dismal catchers.

Mateo from the Cubs was the 8th player selected. Little surprising there. He seemed to be the top of everyone's list. Two position players drafted compared to seven pitchers. I imagine the position players are both longshots.

Everyone drafted in the Rule 5 portion is a longshot

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 08:49 AM)
I don't like this. Seemed like they tried to fill a need rather than taking the most talented player. I would rather seen a pitcher that could actually be stashed while Cooper works with him. This catcher has like a 5% chance of making the roster.

Apparently you are unfamiliar that Tyler Flowers is currently our starting catcher.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 08:49 AM)
True, though pitchers still have a lot better chance at sticking than position players, hence why there are always so many drafted.

It's definitely easier to stash them, but to actually realize results and see success is incredibly rare. These are guys that are so far away from the majors that their original teams decided they weren't even among their organization's 40 best players. In some cases, teams legitimately have up to 45-50 players that can play in the majors, but most do not.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 03:51 PM)
Apparently you are uminisculeiar that Tyler Flowers is currently our starting catcher.

As I have proven over the years, my hate for Flowers has no limits. But I'll say this guy has very miniscule chance at taking his job. I think the 5 percent was generous, barring injury.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 09:46 AM)

LOVE THE SIG

We'll probably pick one up in a trade and bring in a few more on ST invites. Plus maybe we get a Snodgress or someone to show up the rest in ST ala Booner in 06. Probably not happening.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 08:49 AM)
I don't like this. Seemed like they tried to fill a need rather than taking the most talented player. I would rather seen a pitcher that could actually be stashed while Cooper works with him. This catcher has like a 5% chance of making the roster.

Then they release him. This organization has enough success with no-name arms that I have absolutely no problem with them trying to bring in arms in other channels. They feel this guy is talented enough, which is why they took him 2nd overall. Even if it was A ball, they felt he was strong enough at the plate and defensively that he's worth a shot as at least a back up player.