White Sox pick Adrian Nieto in Rule 5 draft

dayan024

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
I've said before, though it sounds odd, I think Phegley has better potential as a hitter than Flowers does.

Keep in mind that you can't look at Phegley's numbers in the minors at face value. Look at his jumps, how little development time he actually had at any given level. He didn't have a full, healthy season until 2012, at which point he was in AAA with very little development time at other levels in terms of games played. Then in 2013 (and even late 2012 really), once he had a year to adjust to level, he exploded.

Flowers value offensively appears likely to only be his power. The walks he put up in the minors have vanished. He could lose 25 pounds and not come close to hitting his weight.

But, he has shown he is a decent back up which has value. No one really knows how well Phegley can hit, not even considering how he would be able to hit if he were a guy not playing regularly.

Sporatic ABs don't seem to matter to Flowers. If I were the GM, if I am acquiring a legit starting catcher, Flowers is the guy I keep. If it is another part time guy, Phegley is the guy I would keep around if someone had to go.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 03:08 PM)
Flowers value offensively appears likely to only be his power. The walks he put up in the minors have vanished. He could lose 25 pounds and not come close to hitting his weight.

But, he has shown he is a decent back up which has value. No one really knows how well Phegley can hit, not even considering how he would be able to hit if he were a guy not playing regularly.

Sporatic ABs don't seem to matter to Flowers. If I were the GM, if I am acquiring a legit starting catcher, Flowers is the guy I keep. If it is another part time guy, Phegley is the guy I would keep around if someone had to go.

God damn you've been on a roll lately.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 03:02 PM)
I've said before, though it sounds odd, I think Phegley has better potential as a hitter than Flowers does.

Keep in mind that you can't look at Phegley's numbers in the minors at face value. Look at his jumps, how little development time he actually had at any given level. He didn't have a full, healthy season until 2012, at which point he was in AAA with very little development time at other levels in terms of games played. Then in 2013 (and even late 2012 really), once he had a year to adjust to level, he exploded.

The leaps & lost time are valid arguments. I'm just not sure Phegley is anyone we want to bank on by any means. Hahn probably likes him more than anyone here & Hahn's still seemingly doing everything in his power to put other guys next to him as well as in front of him.

With Phegley having options though, if you get a real starting catcher and use Nieto/Flowers/Other as a backup, you can give Phegley PA in AAA, monitor his approach, and if someone else thinks he's ready to be a starting big league catcher then you should be able to get something out of him, maybe not a ton, but maybe an MLB reliever or something.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 01:44 PM)
Agreed, if they can't find a proven catcher in think Phegley needs to start, if he sucks through June then make a move

You said it. As the roster sits, maybe guys like Beckham and Ramirez raise their values and be used to get a good catcher. Reed could be a hot seller at the deadline too and could sell high.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 02:39 PM)
The leaps & lost time are valid arguments. I'm just not sure Phegley is anyone we want to bank on by any means. Hahn probably likes him more than anyone here & Hahn's still seemingly doing everything in his power to put other guys next to him as well as in front of him.

With Phegley having options though, if you get a real starting catcher and use Nieto/Flowers/Other as a backup, you can give Phegley PA in AAA, monitor his approach, and if someone else thinks he's ready to be a starting big league catcher then you should be able to get something out of him, maybe not a ton, but maybe an MLB reliever or something.

I agree, I'd rather have someone better, and Phegley in AAA is not the end of the world. But, if they can't acquire legit starter, I'd rather give Phegley a try than Flowers.

Best approach if they don't get someone, to me, is to give Phlowers and Nieto equal time in ST to see what you have, and go from there. My inclination is to go Phegley as a starter with Nieto backing up if he shows he can handle that. But really, I wouldn't have picked up Nieto in the Rule V to begin with, I'd rather have done a prospect-for-prospect trade for him. He could have been had for a relatively marginal guy, and then you can put him in the minors to further develop.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 02:54 PM)
I agree, I'd rather have someone better, and Phegley in AAA is not the end of the world. But, if they can't acquire legit starter, I'd rather give Phegley a try than Flowers.

Best approach if they don't get someone, to me, is to give Phlowers and Nieto equal time in ST to see what you have, and go from there. My inclination is to go Phegley as a starter with Nieto backing up if he shows he can handle that. But really, I wouldn't have picked up Nieto in the Rule V to begin with, I'd rather have done a prospect-for-prospect trade for him. He could have been had for a relatively marginal guy, and then you can put him in the minors to further develop.

Had they planned for this and done it during the season or come mid October, I agree, that would have been the right course of action. Unfortunately, all the resources the Sox had were likely busy trying to find worthy prospects for the veterans on the roster. Come October and November, they're come up with plans for what to do with the MLB team and guys they want to target. I don't know that they had enough time prior to the deadline to protect players to make that sort of move, at which point Nieto is subject to to the Rule 5 anyways, and some other team may have grabbed him. It could also be that they didn't see or even know about this guy until they got the list of Rule 5 eligible players and then saw some things that they really liked in his game, enough to give at least give him a shot in the spring.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 11:48 AM)
Still not done with Thompson. He's inconsistent, but can't give up on a guy who could easily put be a 20/20 player with plus defense in CF.

au contraire (sp?). Unfortunately, he is very consistent. He had been a consistent .237 hitter through five, count 'em, five minor league seasons. Five minor league seasons in some places would constitute a career. And, in some places, he would be considered a prospect.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 09:52 AM)
au contraire (sp?). Unfortunately, he is very consistent. He had been a consistent .237 hitter through five, count 'em, five minor league seasons. Five minor league seasons in some places would constitute a career. And, in some places, he would be considered a prospect.

He can also draw a walk, hit for power, steal a base, and flash some leather. Baseball is not all about batting average.

(though I am glad you included the .198 average he had in his first go around in professional baseball as an incredibly raw player)

There's just so little downside to picking anyone in the Rule V draft. If he sucks, he just eat some cash and send him packing. Since we have the worst catchers in the Majors, it makes sense to take flyers on guys like this when it costs next to nothing.

Also, I would be shocked if this actually stopped Hahn from continuing to shop for a better C. Again, worst case is they pay the fee to return Nieto.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 11:54 AM)
Can't give up on him only because he doesn't get you anything. If another team wants to give me a much lower ceiling but higher floor usable MLB-ready position player for any of our K machine OFers apart from Hawkins, I make that deal yesterday.

Agreed. However, I bet that by mid-2014 season, you will add Hawkins to that artificial list.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 12:02 PM)
The way catcher is, you could play Flowers, hope for an early season hot streak(Oliver '14 projections are kind)...and actually get something for him. A little something at least. The minor league numbers being what they are, you can surely sell someone on a potential light switch flip having happened.

That is, if you are fine with 2014 being experimental jazz

"Experimental Jazz". Love that metaphor.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 10:56 AM)
Which is easier to find than video of any other Sox players taking a walk.

LOL. Plus, he stays in the batter's box during the entire AB, without the need for walking around the plate ten times.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 12:22 PM)
"I Can See It Now" category: If the Sox keep him and he does really well, there are going to be a lot of "Yo, Adrian" signs and comments next year.

Jose Abreu = Joseeeeee Jose Jose Jose JOOSEEE Joooooooseeeeee JOOOOOOOseeeee JOsSEEEE JoseeEE Joseee JOOOOOOOseeeee Joseeee Joooooseeee

Brooks Boyer's brain = best idea ever

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 02:08 PM)
Flowers value offensively appears likely to only be his power. The walks he put up in the minors have vanished. He could lose 25 pounds and not come close to hitting his weight. But, he has shown he is a decent back up which has value. No one really knows how well Phegley can hit, not even considering how he would be able to hit if he were a guy not playing regularly. Sporatic ABs don't seem to matter to Flowers. If I were the GM, if I am acquiring a legit starting catcher, Flowers is the guy I keep. If it is another part time guy, Phegley is the guy I would keep around if someone had to go.

Never thought about it that way, but I agree. Flowers could always run into a few pitches, but you can't trust him everyday. Phegley still may have some chance of being an everyday guy.