Sox trade Addison Reed to Diamondbacks for 3b Matt Davidson

dayan024

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:42 PM)
Bernie Pleskoff ‏@BerniePleskoff 16m

Matt Davidson should fit very well at U S Cellular Field. Power will play there. Reed has pitched in hitter-friendly parks like Chase Field.

I think the power would play anywhere, but that's not the issue we ought to focus on. Strikeouts and defense will make or break him, it looks like.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 01:15 PM)
His fastball wasn't nearly as fast as was advertised, as he seemed to be in the 92-94 range as opposed to 94-96mph range like we were told he was at in the minors.

That was by design, same as Sale. Reed is much better at 93 vs 96. This organization doesn't give a s*** about velocity.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 08:44 PM)
That was by design, same as Sale. Reed is much better at 93 vs 96. This organization doesn't give a s*** about velocity.

Problem is his results weren't very good for a top reliever. 4.17 career ERA is solid, but definitely does scream out to me as future stud closer.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:45 PM)
Problem is his results weren't very good for a top reliever. 4.17 career ERA is solid, but definitely does scream out to me as future stud closer.

Worth stressing that he does have the stuff to be significantly better than those numbers. They've clearly been impacted at least by him tiring out, esp. at the end of 2012 during his rookie season. He was definitely learning how to be a better pitcher in 2013 and that could be seen quite readily if you watched him.

(That said, this is still a fair deal, I just want to make sure Addy isn't downplayed too much).

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 12:22 PM)
I am keeping score. Hahn is doing a outstanding job IMO...........I am stoked to watch these guys develop. Sox future looking real bright.

I like this trade a lot better than the Eaton trade. Like the aggressiveness - yes, the K's are a concern.

Like most here, I'll evaluate RH based on the effectiveness of the players we've acquired. But, I like this one on paper.

Seeing this, I'm going to be an optimist and believe there's a plan in place for a C that just hasn't happened yet.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 01:39 PM)
Aka. Is he Josh Fields

Yes, though I hope the talent level is higher (son of a b**** lacked the physical ability to hit a fastball). I'm willing to trade Addison Reed to make that gamble though. A great year from Addison will be equivalent in value to an average 3B

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 01:39 PM)
Addison reed ‏@Areed43 10m

Cant thank the #whitesox enough for everything that they did for me..2 years of my life that i will never forget

I liked Addison wish him nothing but the best in Arizona.........good guy.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 01:48 PM)
Worth stressing that he does have the stuff to be significantly better than those numbers. They've clearly been impacted at least by him tiring out, esp. at the end of 2012 during his rookie season. He was definitely learning how to be a better pitcher in 2013 and that could be seen quite readily if you watched him.

(That said, this is still a fair deal, I just want to make sure Addy isn't downplayed too much).

Relievers are relievers. I liked Addy but I'm sure this organization will churn out another Addison Reed or two this year.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)
Relievers are relievers. I liked Addy but I'm sure this organization will churn out another Addison Reed or two this year.

I agree. I have zero issues with this deal, it's exactly the kind of move the White Sox should be making.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 01:48 PM)
I like this trade a lot better than the Eaton trade. Like the aggressiveness - yes, the K's are a concern.

Like most here, I'll evaluate RH based on the effectiveness of the players we've acquired. But, I like this one on paper.

Seeing this, I'm going to be an optimist and believe there's a plan in place for a C that just hasn't happened yet.

Hahn is not done yet not by a longshot.

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 2m

Davidson was excited but a little shocked by the trade. He works out with @Areed43 at the same offseason facility.

Davidson knows his defense is a work in progress. Worked with Matt Williams, Prado and Chavez last year and feels he has improved

Davidson: "The biggest thing for me is I feel like the game was a little fast when I first got called up...

Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 2m

... and then I got more comfortable and started making plays. Playing everyday and getting more reps, it’s how you get better

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 07:53 PM)
This trade is exciting and I know they're building for the future, but the White Sox are going to lose 100 games in 2014. I hope everyone can stomach that. It's gonna be tough.

They probably would have lost 90-95 with the players they've traded this offseason