Sox trade Addison Reed to Diamondbacks for 3b Matt Davidson

dayan024

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:50 PM)
This trade has the 100 percent Soxtalk seal of approval. Damn it, Davidson is going to suck.

Even if Davidson turns into Morel, it's still a good move today. He's a top 100 prospect with good power at a corner position traded for a good, but not great closer on a team that just lost 99 games.

The trade is good today. Now it's up to Davidson to play.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 02:57 PM)
From my point of view I thought of our pitching "core" as Sale, Q, Hector and EJ. So at least from my point of view this offseason we lost one of those guys(the one I was personally most willing to trade, even though I do like Hector) and have added Abreu, Eaton and Davidson.

Santiago was too erratic to be a "core" guy for my two cents. That could have changed, but just something about those types of pitchers, it seems they usually don't settle into a dependable type pitcher. They turn into Edwin Jackson's and Javy Vazquez's.

Jones

Lindstrom

Belisario

Paulino (presumably he has to be on a big league roster)

Petricka/Webb

2 lefties

Looks like the basic setup for the pen to me as of now, am I missing anything? Perhaps Rienzo/Johnson could struggle in ST and Paulino take a position in the rotation with both Petricka and Webb taking bullpen slots, but I'd rather push the kids.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 04:04 PM)
Santiago was too erratic to be a "core" guy for my two cents. That could have changed, but just something about those types of pitchers, it seems they usually don't settle into a dependable type pitcher. They turn into Edwin Jackson's and Javy Vazquez's.

To be fair, at least one of those guys has been on several competitive teams and positively contributed to their rotations.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 09:46 PM)
Exactly. We're not going to lose 100 games but even if we do, who cares as long as our young hopefully core players progress the way we all hope they do.

I like the trade, but if we lose 100 games I'll be insanely furious.

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 04:03 PM)
Even if Davidson turns into Morel, it's still a good move today. He's a top 100 prospect with good power at a corner position traded for a good, but not great closer on a team that just lost 99 games.

The trade is good today. Now it's up to Davidson to play.

And for the Sox coaching staff to (gulp) help him through whatever difficulties he has.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 03:05 PM)
Jones

Lindstrom

Belisario

Petricka/Webb

2 lefties

Looks like the basic setup for the pen to me as of now, am I missing anything? Perhaps Rienzo/Johnson could struggle in ST and Paulino take a position in the rotation with both Petricka and Webb taking bullpen slots, but I'd rather push the kids.

Looks about right. I think Veal has got to be a lock for one of the lefty spots though.

Concerns about Davidson's K rate and his glove, but still like the move.

My opinion: Daniel Webb is the closer by end of 2014 if not before, maybe even out of ST.

Also would say 90% that either Beckham or Keppinger are gone very soon, possibly both. Semien becomes the 2B.

Rick Hahn is not boring. He's done a TON in basically a year.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 04:02 PM)
Is it accurate that Davidson's name was mentioned here for months, basically?

I've said I've wanted him in just about every trade scenario I've thrown out since June. I thing I even put him in my suggested 2014 lineup a couple months ago. It was always Davidson and Parra. But I'll settle for Eaton, based on team control.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 10:07 PM)
Concerns about Davidson's K rate and his glove, but still like the move.

My opinion: Daniel Webb is the closer by end of 2014 if not before, maybe even out of ST.

Also would say 90% that either Beckham or Keppinger are gone very soon, possibly both. Semien becomes the 2B.

Rick Hahn is not boring. He's done a TON in basically a year.

If he has a decent glove I hope he's willing to work a ton to improve it just a bit. I realize it's probably not going to get much better than it is now, but I hope this is the type of player willing to put in some work to improve. Does anybody know if he is a "good" defensive third baseman?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 03:05 PM)
Jones

Lindstrom

Belisario

Petricka/Webb

2 lefties

I don't see Rienzo in the rotation.

Sale

Quintana

Johnson

Danks

Paulino

Jones

Lindstrom

Belisario

Webb

Petricka

Veal

Leesman

Rienzo to AAA, will be the first call up in case a starter is needed.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 04:06 PM)
Looks about right. I think Veal has got to be a lock for one of the lefty spots though.

With the kind of aggressiveness Hahn is showing, I'd actually be kind of surprised if we don't see him grab a LH reliever somewhere.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 03:11 PM)
John Manuel ‏@johnmanuelba 1h

Did our #WhiteSox top 30; newly acquired Matt Davidson would slot in No. 4, right where @BaseballAmerica had him in #Diamondbacks system

I would say that is an indication that the top of the White Sox system has improved dramatically over the last 12 months.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 04:10 PM)
I don't see Rienzo in the rotation.

Sale

Quintana

Johnson

Danks

Paulino

Jones

Lindstrom

Belisario

Webb

Petricka

Veal

Leesman

Rienzo to AAA, will be the first call up in case a starter is needed.

I can see that working too. My assessment of guys would have Webb be the guy who gets extra time in AAA because I think he needs it the most, but basically as it stands now one of Webb, Rienzo, Petricka, and Johnson winds up in AAA (and 2 of them wind up in the pen).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 03:08 PM)
Also worth throwing out there for those who don't think Rick Hahn is his own man... What part of this last six months has seemed like Kenny Williams at all?

That thought crossed my mind the last couple hours. This is Hahn's team.