Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 12, 2014 -> 06:55 PM)
Translation:

If the Yankees sign Tanaka, we still have a better staff in the playoffs.

I don't necessarily agree, but that's beside the point entirely. The Sox sign Tanaka because they think he makes them a better team, not to see how they match up with the Yankees.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 12, 2014 -> 05:36 PM)
The fastest path to the Sox contending is to leverage Sale's contract to put together a dominant starting rotation. Signing Tanaka and drafting Hoffman/Kolek is a plan that could do just that.

lol. The fastest plan to success is to intentionally be unsuccessful for a significant amount of time.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jan 12, 2014 -> 01:55 PM)
I could see the White Sox feeling that an added bonus of signing Tanaka would make it more flexible to trade Quintana for a young impact bat in the near future.

If the Sox spend big money on Tanaka, Quintana becomes more important to keep because you want to surround Tanaka and Sale with young, cost controlled arms.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 12, 2014 -> 07:23 PM)
Those Japanese tourists will be honored by the number of empty seats we have left for them

We just have to clarify to the tourists that those seats are " reserved" for them and not necessarily empty.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 02:42 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=2918333:date=Jan 13, 2014 -> 02:39 PM:name=pettie4sox)-->
QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 02:39 PM)
<!--quotec-->Source?

Hmm I guess New York is technically west of Japan.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 02:42 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=2918333:date=Jan 13, 2014 -> 02:39 PM:name=pettie4sox)-->
QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 02:39 PM)
<!--quotec-->Source?

She can live wherever she likes

I still don't buy into the Yankees and I don't buy into the Dodgers since they need ALOT of money to re-sign Kershaw and Ramirez. I'd guess the Dodgers are going to try and jack the price up on their NLW competitor Arizona who could be the dodgers biggest competition in 14. If the Mariners do have the money then this looks good for them too. Not sure where this leaves the Sox, aside from being closer to Japan than NY.

I can believe Tanaka looking to sign on the west coast since its closest to Japan but saying Tanaka's wife prefers the west coast while saying the yanks are one of the preferred teams is juuuuust a bit conflicting. More media bs is all. I'd have to say AZ and Seattle are looking pretty good about now.

QUOTE (Real @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 07:29 PM)
do people really think Jerry would allocate this much money to a pitcher? a pitcher whos never thrown a single pitch in the MLB? just seems extremely unlikely to me

I would have said yes it sounds unlikely, but then Jerry dropped 70 mil on a hitter that never faced a major or minor league pitch.

do people really think Jerry would allocate this much money to a pitcher? a pitcher whos never thrown a single pitch in the MLB? just seems extremely unlikely to me

Considering he was part of the meeting with Tanaka, yes.

it's really not outlandish when you consider that (unfortunately) the Sox have no one to lock up for the foreseeable future. One of the perks of being awful with a bad farm system.