Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 02:50 PM)
Why agree to any deal right now if you have the biggest markets in the game bidding after your guy? Also, who knows, maybe the Dodgers told his agent (Kershaw's guy as well) that they'd be able to talk specifics about Tanaka as soon as Kershaw's deal was done.

Because the Yankees in particular need to get their team set if the vibe is all starters and therefore teams are waiting for Tanaka to decide fine, but if the Yankees have Ubaldo as Plan B they need to make certain Plan B is still out there.

Again everything could be on hold for free agents and teams until Tanaka is done so then, so be it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 03:30 PM)
if the author was left off of that article, it would have been a slam dunk to guess that Kaplan wrote it.

Also to me it's a misleading headline, read it my first impression is they're negotiating with his top reps, read it and it just means they're interested and will spend. This is just Cubbie fan spank material.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 02:24 PM)
Jays, eh? Didn't know they were in on it.

The Jays have a reputation of being more secretive than the CIA though. So much so that some think it's actually a detriment to fans. The thing with them is you just never know what they are doing until they do it.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 05:34 PM)
Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in!

The only "proof" they had of that was that the Sox publicly announced meeting with Tanaka. This article could have been written any day in the past week, there is nothing new in it.

Just trying to temper enthusiasm over a sensationalized NY Post headline.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 06:21 PM)
The only "proof" they had of that was that the Sox publicly announced meeting with Tanaka. This article could have been written any day in the past week, there is nothing new in it.

"According to an industry source, both the Cubs and White Sox are still seriously in the hunt for the Japanese right-hander, along with the Yankees and Dodgers."

Maybe reading the article next time would help. They were clearly just reiterating that we met them already just catch people up.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 06:23 PM)
"According to an industry source, both the Cubs and White Sox are still seriously in the hunt for the Japanese right-hander, along with the Yankees and Dodgers."

Maybe reading the article next time would help. They were clearly just reiterating that we met them already just catch people up.

Ooooooh, an industry source. That changes everything. So what number is going to wear for us? Will he be at Soxfest? A random industry source has this inside scoop apparently, someone tell the jersey manufacturers.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 07:19 PM)
Ooooooh, an industry source. That changes everything. So what number is going to wear for us? Will he be at Soxfest? A random industry source has this inside scoop apparently, someone tell the jersey manufacturers.

Where did I say it changes everything? We've been in the running for him. Some people were questioning whether we still were at this point.

Stop being dramatic and read the article next time.

Kenny breaks silence of the situation

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/willia...masahiro-tanaka

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 04:21 PM)

Well thank goodness we have you here to set everyone straight! Wouldn't want anyone getting too excited over nothing!

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 07:41 PM)
Lots of talk about the Cubs with Tanaka

Follow

Jayson StarkVerified account

‏@jaysonst

In non-replay news, amazing how many owners in Ariz. were convinced #Cubs are ready to blow away the field & sign Tanaka to a monster deal.

There is so much Tanaka rumors right now....I wouldnt be surprised to see any of the teams mentioned to be interested sign him at this point.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 02:44 AM)
There is so much Tanaka rumors right now....I wouldnt be surprised to see any of the teams mentioned to be interested sign him at this point.

I would be stunned if it's not the Yanks, Dodgers or Cubs. Thing is, if the Cubs want to be dumb and give him something like 5/120....then I hope they get him.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 07:45 PM)
I would be stunned if it's not the Yanks, Dodgers or Cubs. Thing is, if the Cubs want to be dumb and give him something like 5/120....then I hope they get him.

I think that is the only way the Cubs will sign him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 07:45 PM)

White Sox will come in and just swipe him from all.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 07:53 PM)
I hope not if it's 20 million per year or higher

Just sort of interperting what Kenny was saying in that article...but it sure doesnt seem like the White Sox will be going all in money wise. They seem to be hoping that former Japanese players success plus the young team will make him comfortable here.