Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 09:33 AM)
I don't think so. I think they are going to their limits to land him. They have been in on guys like Soler even Fukudome they offered more money than the Cubs.

25 year old, potential ace, all it costs you is money is exactly what rebuilding teams with not a lot of future contract committments should be looking for.

If, and it is a huge if this guy is as good as hoped, and say the Sox draft Hoffman #3. Rondon is compared to David Price, and I read 2 scouting reports that say Hoffman can get to that level of effectiveness. These are all ifs that couldn't be any bigger, but if they all remained healthy, you are looking at Sale, Tanaka, Hoffman, Quintana, Johnson or whomever else for a long stretch. That is 1990s-2000s Atlanta Braves. If any of the young offensive players reaches their potential, it would be a team that would be expected to make the playoffs year in and year out for quite a while.

I agree man. Right on. And I think KW is out their as our teams VP saying we aren't giving up is a lot different than him saying this as a GM. I've said it before, I think the WS interest is underrated in this dog fight. And I think us fans have underestimated how far they will go. We aren't used to them shelling out a lot of money on one guy. But like u said the future with him, Sale, and potentially the 3rd pick in the draft is something that makes the FO giddy. And really has a chance to expedite the rebuild process.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not look at the lack of Sox willingness to give big contracts to FA pitchers in the past as any indication of what will happen here. They typical MLB pitcher hits free agency around age 28-29, and sometimes older. Rightly so, the Sox aren't willing to give 5+ year deals to pitchers in that age range.

Tanaka is 25. There is much more justification in giving Tanaka 5-7 years then there would have been for guys like Sabathia, Santana, etc.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 09:18 AM)
I would laugh so hard if in the end Tanaka said screw this and resigned with his old team the Golden Eagles and left everyone holding their pricks with their jaws on the ground.

Tanaka would have to be absolutely stone cold stupid to do that. They most he's going to get in Japan is like $8 mill a year.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 03:50 PM)
Tanaka update: Apparently, 1 team that was considered a favorite completely BOMBED meeting w him/reps. Came in 'unprepared', 'unorganized'

Ty Youngfelt- Pioneer press- https://mobile.twitter.com/TyYoungfelt/stat...977208458141696

Most people are speculating the Mariners.

My guess would be the Dodgers that couldn't offer specifics until Kershaw was done.

Doubt it was the Mariners since no other team should be better prepped for a pitch to a Japanese player than them and they got their pitch to toptalent down with the recent Can signing.

I don't think so. I think they are going to their limits to land him. They have been in on guys like Soler even Fukudome they offered more money than the Cubs.

25 year old, potential ace, all it costs you is money is exactly what rebuilding teams with not a lot of future contract committments should be looking for.

If, and it is a huge if this guy is as good as hoped, and say the Sox draft Hoffman #3. Rondon is compared to David Price, and I read 2 scouting reports that say Hoffman can get to that level of effectiveness. These are all ifs that couldn't be any bigger, but if they all remained healthy, you are looking at Sale, Tanaka, Hoffman, Quintana, Johnson or whomever else for a long stretch. That is 1990s-2000s Atlanta Braves. If any of the young offensive players reaches their potential, it would be a team that would be expected to make the playoffs year in and year out for quite a while.

1990s Braves? :huh:

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 07:54 AM)
My guess would be the Dodgers that couldn't offer specifics until Kershaw was done.

Doubt it was the Mariners since no other team should be better prepped for a pitch to a Japanese player than them and they got their pitch to toptalent down with the recent Can signing.

The Mariners seem to be very dysfunctional, however. Between their jackass GM and their outgoing President, it would surprise me if they were the ones unprepared.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)
KW never talks like this about a guy he is going to sign or acquire. It just doesn't happen. I think it possible that there's a trade possibility we haven't heard about and he is using Tanaka as a smoke screen. There's just no benefit to talking about it like he has and it isn't his MO.

Sure he does, he did the same thing with Peavy. Swung and missed on the first attempt to trade for him, and told the press "we will revisit this later", and then got him a few months later

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 09:50 AM)
Tanaka update: Apparently, 1 team that was considered a favorite completely BOMBED meeting w him/reps. Came in 'unprepared', 'unorganized'

Ty Youngfelt- Pioneer press- https://mobile.twitter.com/TyYoungfelt/stat...977208458141696

Interesting.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)
The Mariners seem to be very dysfunctional, however. Between their jackass GM and their outgoing President, it would surprise me if they were the ones unprepared.

lol, they just came in and said "Nintendo owns us. Sign here"

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 09:50 AM)

I'd guess either the Dodgers because of the Kershaw negotiations or the Yankees due to the ARod fiasco. The Mariners have a good history with Japanese players so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 09:51 AM)
Tanaka would have to be absolutely stone cold stupid to do that. They most he's going to get in Japan is like $8 mill a year.

I never said he would do it, just think the idea itself is funny.

Edited by StRoostifer

I am not disagreeing that they don't want him badly. I am speculating on why the Sox is the only team to confirm a meeting and why KW released that statement last night. It's not like them at all to make things public, but from a PR standpoint, it's a win-win if they make their pursuit known.

Trust me, I am salivating over the possiblity of a Sale-Tanaka-Q-Johnson-2014 draft pick future rotation just as much as anybody.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)
I'd guess either the Dodgers because of the Kershaw negotiations or the Yankees due to the ARod fiasco. The Mariners have a good history with Japanese players so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

I never said he would do it, just think the idea itself is funny.

Real good point. If any organization is going to get the cultural intricacies, it should be Seattle.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 10:50 AM)

At 7/1 odds per Vegas, the Cubs come in as fourth favorites behind the Yanks, Dodgers, and Mariners. They had a contingent meet with Tanaka last week. Wonder if it was them who had this poor showing!

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 10:08 AM)
I am not disagreeing that they don't want him badly. I am speculating on why the Sox is the only team to confirm a meeting and why KW released that statement last night. It's not like them at all to make things public, but from a PR standpoint, it's a win-win if they make their pursuit known.

Trust me, I am salivating over the possiblity of a Sale-Tanaka-Q-Johnson-2014 draft pick future rotation just as much as anybody.

I think his reasoning is two fold. One being he wants to put it out there for Tanakas people to see that we are serious, and the fact that KW said we are not giving up shows them how significant we feel he is. The 2nd reason is probably a little to do with ur reasoning. He's covering his ass, in the event we come up short. He wants to make it clear we went hard after him, sure his comments are about appealing to the fan base, but KW doesn't just say something to say it. That's was a planned piece, what KW thought would happen from it who knows. But it has to look good an organizations VP publicly came out saying we aren't giving up.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 10:15 AM)
At 7/1 odds per Vegas, the Cubs come in as fourth favorites behind the Yanks, Dodgers, and Mariners. They had a contingent meet with Tanaka last week. Wonder if it was them who had this poor showing!

I doubt it, Theo has done this before, I doubt he would half ass a meeting for a player they have been wanting for almost 12 months

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 10:15 AM)

Odds have literally nothing to do with where he's going. This is just where people are betting on him going.

They certainly could have had a poor showing though. Frankly, among the favorites, the only two I can think of that have not posted and wooed a free agent are the DBacks and White Sox, and by all accounts, the Sox nailed their presentation. Given the reputation Towers has earned over the last 3 years or so, I'm guessing it was them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 10:11 AM)
Real good point. If any organization is going to get the cultural intricacies, it should be Seattle.

Absolutely. Ichiro has always had good things to say about Seattle and I haven't heard anything bad from Iwakuma either so I think the Mariners rumor is bs for now. LA and the Yanks make much more sense.

I would say it was the Yankees and maybe the cubs. The Dodgers just paid his agent $21M so I think there was no selling there and why they may have the inside track if they have the money. You did not hear of the cub interest until after the meeting. What could the cubs sell them in, seashells and balloons, Roonie Woo Woo , Horry Kow, Single A titles? the cubs drawing points are not really that intriguing at this point in time to actual baseball players.

The White Sox can sell the success of Iguchi and Mr Zero. If both of them liked their time here and were brought in to sell the team/city that could go a long way. Both guys were huge fan favorites. You have a nice rotation to drop him between Sale and Quintana.

I think the Yankees are used to opening a checkbook and getting their guy. Somehow with Tanaka, maybe the checkbook isn't what they are looking for.....

QUOTE (elwood5892 @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)
If I would venture a guess I would say the Yankees had a bad meeting. The author of the tweet can be dropping a hint when saying the team "bombed" the meetings. The Yankees are the Bronx Bombers.

I honestly can't see the Yankees bombing only because they're so desperate for Tanaka that it would be nothing short of a catastrophe for them, they need Tanaka more than anybody. If I had to place my money on it I think it was the dodgers, they probably were busy with K-shaw and half assed the meeting but let him know they're gonna splurge cash for him but maybe...JUST MAYBE...Tanaka wasn't too happy about it.

Edited by TheTruth05