Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 03:47 PM)
FWIW Rick Renteria already went out and bought Rosetta Stone Japense after meeting him.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GDubCub/status/423913674848231424

But yes a translator is able to come out for mound visits, but let's be real all Japenese kids are taught English in school. So I'm sure he speaks enough to get by.

I can't imagine they'd be discussing the merits of drop-D tuning, LCD/Plasma TV tech or even quantum physics. The English vocabulary required during a mound visit is likely very limited.

I see it going a little something like this:

DC: Does your arm hurt?

MT: No.

or....

DC: This guy likes fastballs inside. Do NOT throw him a fastball inside.

MT: OK.

or.... in the case of the Don Cooper we all know and hear on the radio with great regularly....

DC: Stop dicking around and throw strikes!

MT: OK.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MASAHIRO TANAKA: This week, the Cubs were the team making the most news in the chase to land the right-hander who went 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA for the Rakuten Golden Eagles in Japan last year, because the Cubs were the team that met with Tanaka, which meant that the Cubs were the team that could project optimism, both on the record, and through sources.

Don't go ordering that jersey just yet, though. As Gordon Wittenmyer wrote in the Chicago Sun-Times, "breathless national reports via Twitter and blogs Thursday overshot the Cubs’ likelihood of hanging with the big-spending favorites in New York and Los Angeles in the process, especially when the Dodgers reminded the world of their willingness to spend by giving ace Clayton Kershaw a record-setting contract extension this week — after dealing with the same agent representing Tanaka."

Tanaka makes a ton of sense for the Cubs, as he does for pretty much every team in baseball — as evidenced by the Dodgers' drive to add Tanaka to a rotation that already includes Kershaw, Zack Greinke, Hyun-Jin Ryu, and Dan Haren, with Josh Beckett and Chad Billingsley recovering from injuries. Maybe the Cubs really impressed Tanaka with talk of how they are working with a foundation of prospects to become contenders very soon. It's probably best, though, not to pretend like Tanaka is going to choose his team before he has completed his due diligence.

We'll know next week, when the deadline comes for Tanaka to sign and for the team winning his services to pay the $20 million posting fee to Rakuten. Anything before that is guesswork.

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2014...za-stephen-drew

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 01:17 PM)
MASAHIRO TANAKA: This week, the Cubs were the team making the most news in the chase to land the right-hander who went 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA for the Rakuten Golden Eagles in Japan last year, because the Cubs were the team that met with Tanaka, which meant that the Cubs were the team that could project optimism, both on the record, and through sources.

Don't go ordering that jersey just yet, though. As Gordon Wittenmyer wrote in the Chicago Sun-Times, "breathless national reports via Twitter and blogs Thursday overshot the Cubs’ likelihood of hanging with the big-spending favorites in New York and Los Angeles in the process, especially when the Dodgers reminded the world of their willingness to spend by giving ace Clayton Kershaw a record-setting contract extension this week — after dealing with the same agent representing Tanaka."

Tanaka makes a ton of sense for the Cubs, as he does for pretty much every team in baseball — as evidenced by the Dodgers' drive to add Tanaka to a rotation that already includes Kershaw, Zack Greinke, Hyun-Jin Ryu, and Dan Haren, with Josh Beckett and Chad Billingsley recovering from injuries. Maybe the Cubs really impressed Tanaka with talk of how they are working with a foundation of prospects to become contenders very soon. It's probably best, though, not to pretend like Tanaka is going to choose his team before he has completed his due diligence.

We'll know next week, when the deadline comes for Tanaka to sign and for the team winning his services to pay the $20 million posting fee to Rakuten. Anything before that is guesswork.

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2014...za-stephen-drew

So you're telling me he'll be an Astro by tomorrow?

http://voices.suntimes.com/sports/bullingt...t-expectations/

By Daryl Van Schouwen | Get In Touch: @CST_soxvan | [email protected] Inside the White Sox, Sports - January 17, 2014 2:52 pm

Other Japanese pitchers, such as Texas Rangers right-hander Yu Darvish, have adapted. Bullington compares the two:

“Tanaka and and Darvish are a little different in their style of pitching,’’ Bullington said. “Darvish has a few more weapons and is a little more creative with his offspeed stuff but they both have great fastballs. Tanaka might have more downward angle with his fastball that a lot of teams look for [in the majors], being able to pound the bottom of the zone. He does a really good job with that, and he has the slider that’s a really good pitch for him, and the forkball. He has three really good weapons – he mixes the curveball, too – but those are his three main pitches.’’

Starters pitch once a week in Japan, but Tanaka, who joined the Eagles rotation as an 18-year-old out of high school, has already logged a lot of innings.

“From watching him pitch, I see him as a top of the rotation guy,’’ Bullington said. “The only question mark for me, watching those guys pitch in Japan and making the transition to here is the five-day rotation. He was throwing once a week pretty much all season. Having those six days off instead of four days off, with the innings load he has at 25, you never know how guys will adapt to that. Darvish did a pretty good job with making that adjustment, but it is a change in the routine and the whole process.’’

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 01:24 PM)
MLB network saying Jon heyman reporting both Chicago teams are front runners for tanaka. Just said on MLB network

Say hello to the latest Casey Close leak who is attempting to drive LA/NY bids higher.

Really, I'm just attempting to temper my expectations.

If Tanaka is signed - I'll bring my wife and new born to Chicago for 7 home games in 2014.

I'd be ecstatic.

Edited by hi8is

I'm beginning to expect Tanaka to sign with the White Sox.

To expound, the Sox frankly need a guy like Tanaka just as much if not moreso than a team like the Yankees. Yes, they have a young, rebuilding team, but other than Sale, they have no one in the same stratosphere as Tanaka. The team has improved quite a bit this year and frankly, with luck, could be in the playoff chase with that pitching staff. The Yankees are old and they are going to have to go through a transitional/rebuilding phase shortly, even if it's only this year and maybe next. The Cubs have done very, very little to actually improve the roster this winter and in fact their financial situation will get worse after this year, while the Sox' gets better. I think even with Tanaka, they're 2+ years away.

I'm not going to be shocked/sad/surprised/whatever if he signs elsewhere, even the Cubs, but I think the Sox are the favorites at this point.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 01:26 PM)

Would you be ok with 175/7?

If that's what it took - I'm in.

Thankfully I'm not a GM - as you can see - blowing my wad is ummm... Likely to happen.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 03:26 PM)

To expound, the Sox frankly need a guy like Tanaka just as much if not moreso than a team like the Yankees. Yes, they have a young, rebuilding team, but other than Sale, they have no one in the same stratosphere as Tanaka. The Yankees are old and they are going to have to go through a transitional/rebuilding phase shortly, even if it's only this year and maybe next. The Cubs have done very, very little to actually improve the roster this winter and in fact their financial situation will get worse after this year, while the Sox' gets better. I think even with Tanaka, they're 2+ years away.

I'm not going to be shocked/sad/surprised/whatever if he signs elsewhere, even the Cubs, but I think the Sox are the favorites at this point.

Why would say that?

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 03:30 PM)
Would you be ok with 175/7?

If that's what it took - I'm in.

Thankfully I'm not a GM - as you can see - blowing my wad is ummm... Likely to happen.

No. I'd go 6-7 years at $20 mill with a player opt out option after 4 years.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 03:37 PM)
Wite I'm shocked to hear you say this. You're usually one of the "let's just see how it plays out" type of guys. I'm sure earlier you said something similar. What changed your tune?

BEER

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)
No. I'd go 6-7 years at $20 mill with a player opt out option after 4 years.

There's only a 5M AAV difference there.

IMO - Give him the extra 5, throw in the opt out clause and he's ours for sure.

Our payroll this year would then return to around 112M and with Dunn off the books next year, we're not handcuffed in any way by this hypothetical Tanaka signing.

Would I rather have 5 years at 20M? Sure! I just think if we want him we'll have to pony up big time.

Of course - this is all meaningless speculation - just like much of what is out there at the moment.

Things shall be getting interesting soon :)

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 03:37 PM)
Wite I'm shocked to hear you say this. You're usually one of the "let's just see how it plays out" type of guys. I'm sure earlier you said something similar. What changed your tune?

I still don't believe anything I am reading coming out, but I'm just kind of piecing together the information coming out that I either know is not BS (or am pretty sure is not BS) while weeding out the BS.

-Even the Dodgers have to have a limit to their spending at some point, and really, is spending $20 million a year worth such a marginal upgrade over a guy like Beckett, Billingsley, or Haren?

-The Mariners seem to be out of money, or at least don't have the amount necessary to bring in Tanaka.

-The DBacks don't seem to be a serious suitor, basically doing due diligence.

-The Angels are similar to the DBacks

-I don't believe the Cubs have the necessary funds to get it done, despite the rumors and quotes that have been coming out. That team is bleeding money right now and I don't believe that s

That leaves the Yankees and White Sox, and both teams need him very badly. The Sox have all kinds of room to add to the payroll with quite a few commitments done after this season, while the Yankees will be in worse shape next year, especially with ARod back. I also think Hahn gets creative and offers the opt out after like 3-4 years, which will be attractive to Tanaka - if he's doing well, he can opt out and get like $25+ mill a year. If not, he stays on and still makes a buttload.

Maybe favorite is the wrong word, but I really do think the stars are kind of aligning and he could easily end up with the Sox.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 03:52 PM)
There isn't a meal for which beer cannot serve as an equal replacement.

Breakfast? Lunch? Brunch? Dinner? Snack?

It comes in a bottle or a can you guys. I mean just think about that for a second. Really, think about it.

Or a keg. Or a f***ing pool.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 03:26 PM)

To expound, the Sox frankly need a guy like Tanaka just as much if not moreso than a team like the Yankees. Yes, they have a young, rebuilding team, but other than Sale, they have no one in the same stratosphere as Tanaka. The team has improved quite a bit this year and frankly, with luck, could be in the playoff chase with that pitching staff. The Yankees are old and they are going to have to go through a transitional/rebuilding phase shortly, even if it's only this year and maybe next. The Cubs have done very, very little to actually improve the roster this winter and in fact their financial situation will get worse after this year, while the Sox' gets better. I think even with Tanaka, they're 2+ years away.

I disagree strongly that the WS need him more than the Yankees. The fact that the Yankees are old means that they are at a much greater risk of falling into a lengthy rebuilding period if they don't put young, ML-ready core pieces in place soon. SP also just happens to be the weakest part of their franchise, from top to bottom. This just so happens to be the strongest part of the WS franchise, from top to bottom. The Yankees have WAY more to lose by not signing Tanaka. And, luxury tax or not, they have much more spending power and were just gifted ~$25m of ARod's money from Bud Selig.