Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 02:47 PM)
FWIW Rick Renteria already went out and bought Rosetta Stone Japense after meeting him.

I heard this on the Score yesterday. Between this and the new mascot, it's a done deal. I can't wait to see the novelty t-shirts the street vendors come up with. Maybe some Cub fans still have their Fukudome headbands that they can reuse.

I really wouldn't mind if the Sox weren't in the mix for Tanaka at all. I'm quite content with just the one foreign question mark they're throwing dollars and years at for now.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 03:51 PM)
I still don't believe anything I am reading coming out, but I'm just kind of piecing together the information coming out that I either know is not BS (or am pretty sure is not BS) while weeding out the BS.

-Even the Dodgers have to have a limit to their spending at some point, and really, is spending $20 million a year worth such a marginal upgrade over a guy like Beckett, Billingsley, or Haren?

-The Mariners seem to be out of money, or at least don't have the amount necessary to bring in Tanaka.

-The DBacks don't seem to be a serious suitor, basically doing due diligence.

-The Angels are similar to the DBacks

-I don't believe the Cubs have the necessary funds to get it done, despite the rumors and quotes that have been coming out. That team is bleeding money right now and I don't believe that s

That leaves the Yankees and White Sox, and both teams need him very badly. The Sox have all kinds of room to add to the payroll with quite a few commitments done after this season, while the Yankees will be in worse shape next year, especially with ARod back. I also think Hahn gets creative and offers the opt out after like 3-4 years, which will be attractive to Tanaka - if he's doing well, he can opt out and get like $25+ mill a year. If not, he stays on and still makes a buttload.

Maybe favorite is the wrong word, but I really do think the stars are kind of aligning and he could easily end up with the Sox.

I wouldn't go as far as saying we're front-runners, but let's say Tanaka has decided he wants an opt-out clause after 3 or 4 seasons. If every team that is serious is going to give him that, given his desire to win and given where the Cubs sit right now, the Cubs price probably just went way up.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 03:51 PM)
I still don't believe anything I am reading coming out, but I'm just kind of piecing together the information coming out that I either know is not BS (or am pretty sure is not BS) while weeding out the BS.

-Even the Dodgers have to have a limit to their spending at some point, and really, is spending $20 million a year worth such a marginal upgrade over a guy like Beckett, Billingsley, or Haren?

-The Mariners seem to be out of money, or at least don't have the amount necessary to bring in Tanaka.

-The DBacks don't seem to be a serious suitor, basically doing due diligence.

-The Angels are similar to the DBacks

-I don't believe the Cubs have the necessary funds to get it done, despite the rumors and quotes that have been coming out. That team is bleeding money right now and I don't believe that s

That leaves the Yankees and White Sox, and both teams need him very badly. The Sox have all kinds of room to add to the payroll with quite a few commitments done after this season, while the Yankees will be in worse shape next year, especially with ARod back. I also think Hahn gets creative and offers the opt out after like 3-4 years, which will be attractive to Tanaka - if he's doing well, he can opt out and get like $25+ mill a year. If not, he stays on and still makes a buttload.

Maybe favorite is the wrong word, but I really do think the stars are kind of aligning and he could easily end up with the Sox.

This is a really good post, and some solid perspective. It changed my outlook a bit.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 03:17 PM)
We'll know next week, when the deadline comes for Tanaka to sign and for the team winning his services to pay the $20 million posting fee to Rakuten. Anything before that is guesswork.

Yet this thread continues to roll along. :lol:

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 02:06 PM)
I’m genuinely curious, not trying to be a jerk, but is English your first language?

I'm gonna turn this one around on ya here pal.

What languages do you write in? Your handle peaked my interst.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 04:11 PM)
I'm gonna turn this one around on ya here pal.

What languages do you write in? Your handle peaked my interst.

Mainframe stuff. I’m most familiar with Cobol, PL/1, CICS, JCL and Natural.

I’ve taken classes for Assembler, RPG, C++, VB, SQL and Python but I’ve never used them in the real world. For some reason I’ve never been able to get a real good handle on OOP.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 05:23 PM)
As was mentioned earlier in this thread, we're playing with house money (or something like that) here. We don't HAVE to have him. But it'd sure be nice.

This is what I keep telling myself. I would love for us to get this guy, but if we don't we're still moving in the right direction.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 04:29 PM)
Honestly if I was to guess as to 1 reason why the Sox may have a punchers chance it would be Shingo.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

From all accounts he has been nothing but complimentary of the White Sox and their fans.

again shingo and tadahito were awsome when we won the world series

Edited by timbo