Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 10:35 PM)
I was at WSI during the Miguel Cabrera thing.

The package over there, the final deal, was Gio + Danks + Fields (fresh off his rookie performance) + Sweeney. That was a nice package back then, but now that's definitely a haul.

Tigers took DTrain though and gave up 6 players. I never liked Miller, but Maybin was one of these all-world type of prospects (who never became anything much obviously). They gave up some other interesting players, i.e. I believe Euglolio Cruz or some s*** like that, a big armed 100mph closing candidate who didn't do anything.

The Marlins definitely should have taken our deal. And had they, I wonder if the Sox would have been willing to go to the immediate mega deal extension that the Tigers gave out. It would have been atypical of the Sox to say the least, but would have in hindsight been a terrific move.

Wow I did not remember Danks being included at all.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 02:37 PM)
As a Sox fan, I am conflicted on if the Yankees or Cubs signing Tanaka would disguise me the most. If not the Sox, I hope Arizona gets him.

Like I have said before, if it is in the 7/140 category, I hope the Cubs or Yankees sign him.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 04:51 PM)
Wow I did not remember Danks being included at all.

I was following that whole last hour when it looked to be us vs. the Tigers... people running down hallways and so on during the GM meetings. But I've mentioned that offer here before when the topic has come up & I don't think anyone here knew about that... probably just the difference between information on WSI & SoxTalk.

I definitely believe it though because KW wanted Cabrera badly, and if the Freddy Garcia deal is any indication I bet he'd have given away all his best pieces there if he had to. I just think the Marlins were in love with Maybin (lots of people were then) and there may have been something to the DTrain salary dump, although back then that was DTrain's first bad season, and obviously the Tigers weren't worried because they immediately extended him. Some people think that DTrain's inclusion got the deal done because it was a dump... I'm not in that camp, I think the Marlins could have dumped him if they wanted to in another deal. I just think the Marlins liked that 6-for-2 deal better than our guys.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 06:58 PM)
I was following that whole last hour when it looked to be us vs. the Tigers... people running down hallways and so on during the GM meetings. But I've mentioned that offer here before when the topic has come up & I don't think anyone here knew about that... probably just the difference between information on WSI & SoxTalk.

I definitely believe it though because KW wanted Cabrera badly, and if the Freddy Garcia deal is any indication I bet he'd have given away all his best pieces there if he had to. I just think the Marlins were in love with Maybin (lots of people were then) and there may have been something to the DTrain salary dump, although back then that was DTrain's first bad season, and obviously the Tigers weren't worried because they immediately extended him. Some people think that DTrain's inclusion got the deal done because it was a dump... I'm not in that camp, I think the Marlins could have dumped him if they wanted to in another deal. I just think the Marlins liked that 6-for-2 deal better than our guys.

If things had gone just a liiiittle differently and Miggy landed here, we could be talking about which concourse the Greg Walker statue should be built on

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 04:54 PM)
And if you're Rick Hahn and Co. what's the highest you go?

If the Sox feel that a 7 year $140M deal probably turns into something more like a 7 year $100M deal after factoring in increased attendance & Japanese opportunities then it's not nearly as bad. But I'd still love some sort of out in there.

If the Sox really feel they are going to have to go 7 years for this guy but will get good money back then I'd even get crazy:

2014: $25M

2015: $25M

2016: $25M

2017: $25M PO; player can opt to remain in the contract or can choose FA

2018: $25M MO; player can opt for FA at no buyout; team can opt out of deal but must pay $10M buyout

2019: $25M; no option, this is guaranteed

Tanaka would be crazy to turn that down IMO. That's $110M guaranteed even if he gets both his arms caught in a woodchipper, and it leaves him the option of landing a mega-deal in FA after 3 seasons. The benefit for the Sox would be the added excitement & season ticket sales for 2 years with some of the salary offset by new revenue, and if Tanaka is really looking good after 2015 then you look to either re-work the deal after he & his family are comfortabale here and more amenable to staying OR you trade him to the highest bidder, essentially buying prospects without draft slots.

^In my proposed deal above I'd look for 2 years plus a trade if we're not WS contenders. The nice thing about doing that is that in 2 years from now we're going to have some answers or at least pretty good feelings about a whole host of players, like Semien, both Johnsons, Beck, Danish, Davidson, Eaton, etc. We're going to have some clear-cut needs 2 seasons from now that we can't predict now, so buying Tanaka is buying a fit for a hole in 2 years time to keep us on track.

BTW I was just wondering why when a user (like moi) makes a s***load of posts in a relatively short period of time he is called a post whore? That doesn't make sense to me. I mean, I'm not spreading my internet legs and taking in somebody else's through the gap there, I'm actually more like thrusting my posts into the gaps of other internet users who are willing to be receptive. That would make me more of a post stud or post jammer or something. Unless of course you're the type of person who associates the term "whore" as acceptable for use on both men and women, because then I'd indeed be a post whore. But I don't and I don't know why anyone else would either.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 05:28 PM)
What info?

Before this thread got caulfield'd, a poster claimed the Score was reporting the Sox were backing off Tanaka because he was getting too expensive. Not sure if anyone else heard this, because Rongey made no mention of this on his last update.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 05:36 PM)
Before this thread got caulfield'd, a poster claimed the Score was reporting the Sox were backing off Tanaka because he was getting too expensive. Not sure if anyone else heard this, because Rongey made no mention of this on his last update.

B & B mentioned it. Did not have a source though, just said that they were.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 05:19 PM)
BTW I was just wondering why when a user (like moi) makes a s***load of posts in a relatively short period of time he is called a post whore? That doesn't make sense to me. I mean, I'm not spreading my internet legs and taking in somebody else's through the gap there, I'm actually more like thrusting my posts into the gaps of other internet users who are willing to be receptive. That would make me more of a post stud or post jammer or something. Unless of course you're the type of person who associates the term "whore" as acceptable for use on both men and women, because then I'd indeed be a post whore. But I don't and I don't know why anyone else would either.

Because simpletons like their child-like catchphrases and apparently if you posts multiple times you're trying to boost your post count even when your not. I've seen this before on other boards. Some believe the number of posts gives them status on the board but if youre posting too much those same people refer to you as a post padding post whore even when you don't care about your overall post count which leads us back to the grade school mentality of catchphrases and thus the cycle continues.

So, its not looking good for the Sox to sign Tanaka. I suppose this is a good thing if its looking like 20M+ annually.

QUOTE (midway @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 03:26 PM)
I'd love to see Tanaka with the White Sox, but his wife is an actress and wants to be where she can pursue her acting career... seems like LA or New York would be the place to be for that.

Didn't they say last week his family doesn't speak english? I don't know if they film many Japanese movies or television shows in LA or NY.

If the Sox are indeed backing off then this thing is pretty well advanced anyway.

The crazier this thing gets, the less likely the signing team is to benefit from the deal.

I think we should all at least be happy the Sox looked into the option and made an effort. Nothing is set in stone & it's not like he's already decided, but if he picks someone else, watch us for a follow-up move. We apparently have at least some money available under the right circumstances and are willing to spend it to help maintain the current direction.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 06:40 PM)
B&B mentioned we are backing off? I'm kind of disappointed by this. But I am not surprised. I think everyone in baseball knows that he will be a Dodger or Yankee.

I do not believe there is any source though. No one else can back it up it seems.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 06:38 PM)
The crazier this thing gets, the less likely the signing team is to benefit from the deal.

Yeah its really messed up. You're raising the price to eliminate some competition all the while de-valuing the player/contract your trying to sign. If you don't plan on trading this player its no biggie but if you do you're f***ed. Basically Boston with Dice-K.