Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 09:26 AM)
Gotcha.. I'm sorry I don't believe the Cubs have a shot in hell. He may be right the Cubs I'm sure have BIG interest but nothing on that side of town could make pitching there for the next 7 years appealing. The cubs could certainly blow everyone else put of the water $ wise, and yes this kid could surprise me and go where the most $ is, but I don't see it. IMO this is posturing by theo to make sure their interest was reported so if and when they miss out he can say they did everything. That fanbase is losing patience if not lost it and have been expecting Tanaka since last season. I hope he's just trying to steer him away from us. And I'm not going to lie, the longer I go the less confident I get for the WS to sign him. But I just have the gut feeling we had a really good chance. KWs comments to the suntimes were telling a week or so ago, they met him, the $ is clearly there, and he fits PERFECTLY in what we are doing.

It was always going to be against the odds. Not only do they have to have the money, they have to sell a team that almost lost 100 games as a legitimate contender, which would probably require spending even more money.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 09:25 AM)
So basically the same report we have been given since before Tanaka was posted.

Plus it seems everyday these National guys are jumping ship from on big favorite to the next. First it was LAD, the NyY, then his wife wants the west coast, then back to LAD, now the Cubs and LAa. They are just throwing darts and hoping it lands on the correct team. Like i said all their sources should be taken with a grain of salt with the clear stance of Tanakaa and his agent; negotiations will be kept quiet and kept from team to team.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 09:28 AM)
It was always going to be against the odds. Not only do they have to have the money, they have to sell a team that almost lost 100 games as a legitimate contender, which would probably require spending even more money.

I think it's a lot easier to sell our future than the Cubs. At least if your talking about competiting in the near future. Sure the Cubs have a great farm system but who knows if any of those guyS turn out and become ML mainstays. I guess you can say the same about us but with the trades and players already there we have a team much closer to competing. And hands down a better pitching staff.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 09:33 AM)
I think it's a lot easier to sell our future than the Cubs. At least if your talking about competiting in the near future. Sure the Cubs have a great farm system but who knows if any of those guyS turn out and become ML mainstays. I guess you can say the same about us but with the trades and players already there we have a team much closer to competing. And hands down a better pitching staff.

There are a lot of the same issues. The White Sox guys are more advanced. The Cubs guys are more dreweled over. There most likely will be plenty of failure with both. If there isn't, each team is going to be stacked, at least offensively for the Cubs, which could appeal to Tanaka. But how long until that is going to occur?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
Who gets the luxury tax money?

The MLB, for "industry development".

If they really wanted to dissuade people from going over the limit, they should make the luxury tax go to revenue sharing. Then maybe the Yankees/Red Sox would think twice before throwing a couple million to help out the Rays stay competitive.

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 09:23 AM)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 1h

Sources: #Cubs pushing hard for Tanaka. #Angels remain involved, along with others previously mentioned - #Yankees, #Dodgers, etc.

I LOVE how the national media is so vague to tie big teams to things, especially on twitter. Stark yesterday with two "people" and now "pushing hard" which really says nothing.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 09:42 AM)
The MLB, for "industry development".

If they really wanted to dissuade people from going over the limit, they should make the luxury tax go to revenue sharing. Then maybe the Yankees/Red Sox would think twice before throwing a couple million to help out the Rays stay competitive.

Wasnt it like this before the recent CBA renegotiation? I swear they had that in place but teams were getting pissed that owners like Jeff Loria and David Glass were just pocketing the money instead of investing it in their teams

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 09:52 AM)
The fact that White Sox have not been even mentioned in a single tweet recently makes me think the ball game is over. Enjoy the $150 million dollar man.

flying under the radar, Kenny Williams style

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 09:50 AM)
Wasnt it like this before the recent CBA renegotiation? I swear they had that in place but teams were getting pissed that owners like Jeff Loria and David Glass were just pocketing the money instead of investing it in their teams

They should do it like the NBA. Instead of just giving it to the lower revenue teams who don't spend it anyway, split it up among all teams not paying the tax. The money will then get spent. I'm thinking the Dodgers and Angels are eventually going to be paying a ridiculous amount of tax.

The fact that White Sox have not been even mentioned in a single tweet recently makes me think the ball game is over. Enjoy the $150 million dollar man.

This is exactly what Hahn said it would be like in his statement. He said negotiations and anything else will be kept quiet out of respect till Mr. Tanaka makes his final decision. I think it may be a good thing we have respected their wishes. I have read that the NYY may have taken themselves out of it by all the stuff the have supposedly leaked. Who knows anymore. But just because we're quiet I wouldn't necessarily count us out.

And for the record Hayes tweeted last night one source said "dOnt count the White Sox out."

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 05:06 PM)
This is exactly what Hahn said it would be like in his statement. He said negotiations and anything else will be kept quiet out of respect to Mr. Tanaka makes his final decision. I think it may be a good thing we have respected their wishes. I have read that the NYY may have taken themselves out of it by all the stuff the have supposedly leaked. Who knows anymore. But just because we're quiet I wouldn't necessarily count us out.

And for the record Hayes tweeted last night one source said "dOnt count the White Sox out."

Hayes has pretty much covered his ass by tweeting every possible scenario. "Don't be surprised by cubs!" "Don't count white sox out!" " Count white sox out" " Count cubs out" "It may snow!"

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)
Hayes has pretty much covered his ass by tweeting every possible scenario. "Don't be surprised by cubs!" "Don't count white sox out!" " Count white sox out" " Count cubs out" "It may snow!"

True but that can be said about just about everyone else and every other team. Ya the LAD and NYY have been in it from the start but that's because it's easy to pick them as the destination. And as easy as it is to pick them, many sources have said why he may not land there. Like I said no one knows jack but Tanaka, his agent, and those actually involved in the negotiations. We don't even know what the guys preferences are. I'm just tryin to say judging the Sox involvement or interest in Tanaka based on what has been said in the media is hard to do. We have no idea what is going on.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 04:26 PM)
Gotcha.. I'm sorry I don't believe the Cubs have a shot in hell. He may be right the Cubs I'm sure have BIG interest but nothing on that side of town could make pitching there for the next 7 years appealing. The cubs could certainly blow everyone else put of the water $ wise, and yes this kid could surprise me and go where the most $ is, but I don't see it. IMO this is posturing by theo to make sure their interest was reported so if and when they miss out he can say they did everything. That fanbase is losing patience if not lost it and have been expecting Tanaka since last season. I hope he's just trying to steer him away from us. And I'm not going to lie, the longer I go the less confident I get for the WS to sign him. But I just have the gut feeling we had a really good chance. KWs comments to the suntimes were telling a week or so ago, they met him, the $ is clearly there, and he fits PERFECTLY in what we are doing.

I think people are completely underestimating the shot the Cubs have to get Tanaka. For all this talk about the Sox future being something that could attract him, I'm sure the Cubs are saying the same thing. Not only that, but supposedly Theo has a good working r'ship with Tanaka's former boss. With Tanaka's salary expected to be 20 mil/year, I absolutely do not want the Sox to sign him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 04:12 PM)
You look at the free agent list for next year, there isn't too much to be excited about. Could be a reason for the Sox and others to go a little higher than they feel comfortable.

Another reason I think the Cubs might offer a ridiculous amount for Tanaka.

The fact that the White Sox haven't been mentioned means absolutely nothing to me.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 10:19 AM)
While you're right, there are a lot of starting pitchers to be desired. Sure some will sign extensions but...

Scherzer

Shields

Lester

Bailey

Masterson

Perhaps seeing how this year plays out and then deciding whether we want to spend on a RH #1,#2 or #3. Namely Shields/Bailey.

Depends on how we finish too. I wouldn't want to sacrifice a first round pick for a few of those guys but a second one if we have a top 10 draft spot

While you're right, there are a lot of starting pitchers to be desired. Sure some will sign extensions but...

Scherzer

Shields

Lester

Bailey

Masterson

Perhaps seeing how this year plays out and then deciding whether we want to spend on a RH #1,#2 or #3. Namely Shields/Bailey.

There are some nice names. A couple I can't see leaving, and the others if they have great years are probably going to cost more than Tanaka now, and they are all several years older.

Scherzer

Shields

Lester

Bailey

Masterson

Seeing this list after the Kershaw news yesterday makes me think the Sox better hold on to what young pitching they have to see how they develope. I hope they draft a pitcher in June.

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 10:20 AM)
Another reason I think the Cubs might offer a ridiculous amount for Tanaka.

With as bad as their off season and rebuild has gone, they almost need to sign him just to give the Cubbie faithful a reason to buy tickets again. Like I said, I hope they spend big.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 10:29 AM)
There are some nice names. A couple I can't see leaving, and the others if they have great years are probably going to cost more than Tanaka now, and they are all several years older.

Yeah I think that Shields, Masterson, and Bailey will all reach FA. Lester will probably re-sign with Boston.

The White Sox didn't even make Ben Badler's list of the top 10 candidates.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/masa...e-japanese-ace/