Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 02:04 PM)
KW has to be lying. Bernstein said the Sox were backing off.

Well, Joe Cowley is coming on in a few minutes to discuss the bulls, so I bet he is feeding Bernstein valuable white sox information he got from the Guillen family

What would happen if the Cubs got Tanaka but the posting fee check bounced? If they are carpooling to save money, there must not be much cash on hand. I worked somewhere where they told us to start printing on both sides of the paper. We weren't around too much longer.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 02:22 PM)
My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Tanaka with Rick Hahn at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

did they share a cone? who bought?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 02:24 PM)
What would happen if the Cubs got Tanaka but the posting fee check bounced? If they are carpooling to save money, there must not be much cash on hand. I worked somewhere where they told us to start printing on both sides of the paper. We weren't around too much longer.

I worked at a restaurant where we would wash our own towels, wring them out, and dry them by hanging them over the side of the counter. Same story, that place didn't last much longer.

QUOTE (timbo @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 02:34 PM)
yeah he needs to adjst beucae of his work style

I read an article that said his "style" was more American than most Japanese pitchers. He pitches off his fastball, which I guess isn't common in Japan. That should help catchers call games, and pitching coaches (hopefully it's Cooper) communicate.

I do have a serious question. Supposedly he doesn't speak English. Will MLB allow a translator to go to the mound with a coach or manager to talk to him? To me, this could be a huge issue during a game. Even when a catcher has to go out there.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (timbo @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 08:30 PM)
say the sox get tanaka how much cooper will help him pitch in majors

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 08:31 PM)
I think Tanaka will be doing his own pitching.

QUOTE (timbo @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 08:34 PM)
yeah he needs to adjst beucae of his work style

Keep this conversation going, fellas. Riveting stuff.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 02:39 PM)
I read an article that said his "style" was more American than most Japanese pitchers. He pitches off his fastball, which I guess isn't common in Japan. That should help catchers call games, and pitching coaches (hopefully it's Cooper) communicate.

I do have a serious question. Supposedly he doesn't speak English. Will MLB allow a translator to go to the mound with a coach or manager to talk to him? To me, this could be a huge issue during a game. Even when a catcher has to go out there.

FWIW Rick Renteria already went out and bought Rosetta Stone Japense after meeting him.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GDubCub/status/423913674848231424

But yes a translator is able to come out for mound visits, but let's be real all Japenese kids are taught English in school. So I'm sure he speaks enough to get by.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

The Japanese education has mandatory English for students at a very young age (I've seen kindergarten). Most Japanese people speak English but are too shy to actually use it in the presence of an American. This is due to the fact that Japanese people are very prideful and to be ridiculed and shamed is very devastating to them.

For the sake of modesty, Tanaka is saying his family doesn't speak English because it couldn't be further from the truth.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 02:54 PM)
The Japanese education has mandatory English for students at a very young age (I've seen kindergarten). Most Japanese people speak English but are too shy to actually use it in the presence of an American. This is due to the fact that Japanese people are very prideful and to be ridiculed and shamed is very devastating to them.

For the sake of modesty, Tanaka is saying his family doesn't speak English because it couldn't be further from the truth.

I know some Americans that have a hard time with English.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 02:56 PM)
I know some Americans that have a hard time with English.

Yeah, plenty do. English is a very difficult language. I know some students in Japan that had a better grasp of English grammar than American college graduates. No hyperbole.

Edited by pettie4sox