Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 01:32 PM)
It's all speculation at this point. This isn't an American free agent who could potentially be surrounded by guys who could leak information. He is in Japan and has a tight inner circle that has no motivation or incentive to give "favorites" or "front runners." I am confident that Hahn submitted a competitive offer and I hope that the meeting was compelling. That's pretty much all you can ask for now.

I think you are right... At this point, the beat writers and bloggers seem to be just submitting their guess for the winner/front runner. Since there are only 5 teams in the running, there is a 20% chance of being correct.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 01:45 PM)
REALLY?

I appreciate you posting this stuff, because it's relevant, but every single time, I or someone else will point out that it's conjecture, speculation, and bulls***.

No problem. I won't post any more conjecture. Please, go back to talking about star wars and erections.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 01:45 PM)
Does Tanaka know that for certain though? What if the leaked reports match the contract offers and he goes "Well, this is exactly what I didn't want them to do."

Well, perhaps they could, but they could be lucky guesses too. Plus, I'm sure MT isn't reading all the tweets stating the offers he received.

Tanaka is likely going to take the offer that makes the most sense for him financially. I don't believe you are going to see a straight 6 year deal get him signed. I think it's going to involve some creativity, ie the out clauses. He just turned 25. I think you are going to see him sign a 6 year deal worth around $120 with an out clause at year 4. He'd enter free agency again at 29, which allows him the opportunity to get another 4-6 year deal on the open market. If he flops or is less than expected, he gets to earn out the contract and move back to Japan.

Has Theo ever done anything that creative with his contracts? Hahn and Cashman have. I think Theo is going to throw money out there and say "come to us" and they are going to rebuke it. They won't want him to be a free agent again at 31, because he'll be exiting his prime years and likely only looking at a 2-4 year deal.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 01:48 PM)
No problem. I won't post any more conjecture. Please, go back to talking about star wars and erections.

Oh for f***'s sake dude, I said I appreciate it. Quit with the sob story. I'm just pointing out that, within a stretch of about 8 posts, you totally flip flopped. You said "looks like it's over" to some fanboy Cubs fan posting that it's between the Cubs and Yankees.

Post updates all you want, just be prepared when people shoot them down, especially when it's a Cubs fan posting the update.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 01:48 PM)

Keep posting the conjecture dude as its better discussions than star wars etc. This coming from one of the posters involved in that madness. At least the conjecture alleviates the boredom thus no star wars s***.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 01:51 PM)
Here's a question: How will it be announced? Via a press conference w/ translator? Just randomly out of the blue? Will we get a "decision coming at 4 PM" warning or anything?

It'll be announced to websites privately and they will spread the breaking news. There will be an update on sports channels and websites. You don't hold press conferences to announce decisions. I think we learned with the LeBron thing that it really does not make the player look very good.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 01:54 PM)
It'll be announced to websites privately and they will spread the breaking news. There will be an update on sports channels and websites. You don't hold press conferences to announce decisions. I think we learned with the LeBron thing that it really does not make the player look very good.

So there won't be a whole twitter-fest like with Abreu?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 01:56 PM)
So there won't be a whole twitter-fest like with Abreu?

When Tanaka get back to the states, it'll probably blow up a little bit. Right now it's incredibly difficult because of the time zone differences. With Abreu, he was always within like 2 hours of central standard time.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 01:51 PM)
Tanaka is likely going to take the offer that makes the most sense for him financially. I don't believe you are going to see a straight 6 year deal get him signed. I think it's going to involve some creativity, ie the out clauses. He just turned 25. I think you are going to see him sign a 6 year deal worth around $120 with an out clause at year 4. He'd enter free agency again at 29, which allows him the opportunity to get another 4-6 year deal on the open market. If he flops or is less than expected, he gets to earn out the contract and move back to Japan.

Has Theo ever done anything that creative with his contracts? Hahn and Cashman have. I think Theo is going to throw money out there and say "come to us" and they are going to rebuke it. They won't want him to be a free agent again at 31, because he'll be exiting his prime years and likely only looking at a 2-4 year deal.

I think this makes a lot of sense. He is young enough where he can get two mega contracts in the United States. Having an opt out clause in case of a team declining rather than competing, (or he pitches so well he could get Kershaw or Verlander money) would be wise of him. There is money incentive for him to control the later years of the contract so that he is not wasting his prime years.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 01:52 PM)
Oh for f***'s sake dude, I said I appreciate it. Quit with the sob story. I'm just pointing out that, within a stretch of about 8 posts, you totally flip flopped. You said "looks like it's over" to some fanboy Cubs fan posting that it's between the Cubs and Yankees.

Post updates all you want, just be prepared when people shoot them down, especially when it's a Cubs fan posting the update.

No I was summarizing what the tweet was saying. And I'm not sobbing or flip flopping. Every time I post something from a blogger, beat writer, what-not. I almost always back it up believe its for what it's worth. I was trying to spark a conversation about what this topic is suppose to be about, Tanaka. And posting relavent tweets from other peoples bloggers beat writers etc involved, is a part of it. And it looks like doing so many more people have checked it out since the convo is back about Tanaka and not the pathetic conversations the past few pages. and we can discuss the recent tweets from these guys. Idiots, cubs fans, whatever when other people retweet them, including MlBTR a few days a go

I was just posting and u got all pissy swearing about it being from nobodys. I agreed with you, till you said I flip flopped. My stance on this process has been the same.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 02:02 PM)
Unraveled CubsDen's tweet just now.....if you couldnt tell it was BS the first time you can after he said some teams are backing off. No team is backing off from him now. Maybe from the money but not from the player.

Seriously, why would teams back off? Nobody is backing off this late in the game. Tanaka might have it whittled down to 3-4, but there are going to be late minute pushes and frankly, he probably has his mind made up already.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 02:03 PM)
Seriously, why would teams back off? Nobody is backing off this late in the game. Tanaka might have it whittled down to 3-4, but there are going to be late minute pushes and frankly, he probably has his mind made up already.

"You know, I didn't decide until this morning. I'm taking my talents to the South Side."

*Cubdom implodes*

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 02:03 PM)

Exactly....why would a team get this far and say screw it? Makes absolutely no sense. But until teams come out and say they were told they are out I'm not buying it.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)
"You know, I didn't decide until this morning. I'm taking my talents to the South Side."

*Cubdom implodes*

It would be an absolutely devastating blow to the Cubs front office and would be a huge victory for the Sox.

And yes, the reason this matters is because of fair-weather fan draw. The Cubs would still get some, but the Sox would go a long way towards evening it out this year alone.