Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 07:06 PM)
My opinion hasn't changed at all. If he signed with us, it would be pretty awesome... A scary contract, but awesome. I just can't find a scenario other than "because" that makes the Sox the winners.

I agree. There really isn't much here for him compared to the others. We aren't the best team, we will be breaking in at least 3 new starters next year, the defense was awful last year and the weather here sucks.

I really can't think of many reasons the current Sox team has an advantage over the others. If this occurred in two years when Eaton, Abeu, Davidson have proven themselves it may have been a different story. Don't get me wrong I would love to have another young quality starter but I think the sox are at a disadvantage.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morosi adds there's so much pressure for Tanaka & that it would be too difficult for his expectations to come to Cubs when theyre rebuilding

Players underperforming (mentions Castro, Rizzo, Edwin) could also be detrimental to Tanaka choosing the Cubs - Morosi guessing LA over NYY

Twitter person @twitterpersontweeting

It will be one of 5 teams, these are the 5 teams, they all like tanaka, but of these 5 teams it will only be Yankees or Dodgers, but maybe most likely the Cubs because they obviously bid the most even though we have no idea how much anyone bid, but then again it is most likely the White Sox but assuredly the Diamondbacks. In closing, The Blue Jays will sign him even though they technically are a 6th team, which rules them out

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 08:26 PM)
David Kaplan ‏@thekapman 16s

I expect winning team in Tanaka sweepstakes to know decision by close of business, Wednesday. That gives the team time for addtl. medicals.

Wow Kaplan this was known 3 days ago Cub Boy!

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 08:41 PM)
@scottmerkin Any update on the Sox chances to land Tanaka?

Expand

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 2m

@bWalk01 The situation is being played very close to the vest. White Sox are in the mix. Resolution will come soon ~

I like it! Still in the mix means he is considering us. I'm assuming he really appreciated the meeting with Sox management. Perhaps maybe more than the other organizations? I guess only time will tell.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 08:31 PM)
Twitter person @twitterpersontweeting

It will be one of 5 teams, these are the 5 teams, they all like tanaka, but of these 5 teams it will only be Yankees or Dodgers, but maybe most likely the Cubs because they obviously bid the most even though we have no idea how much anyone bid, but then again it is most likely the White Sox but assuredly the Diamondbacks. In closing, The Blue Jays will sign him even though they technically are a 6th team, which rules them out

:lol:

You've been watching the sprint commercials again haven't you?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 08:31 PM)
Anyone with half a brain should be guessing LA.

Thats not insight, thats just not being marginally retarded. It may not be LA, but I could post "My sources say LA" and be pretty confident Im going to wake up right Weds.

Uh no.

Not at all.

Not even close.

The Yankees are desperate for another pitcher and have signed other Japanese players in the past. They currently have Ichiro, the most successful Japanese player ever, and the Yankees won a title with Hideki Matsui who when he came over was the greatest Japanese hitter of all time.

Most people should be guessing Yankees or Dodgers, and they are.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 08:31 PM)
Anyone with half a brain should be guessing LA.

Thats not insight, thats just not being marginally retarded. It may not be LA, but I could post "My sources say LA" and be pretty confident Im going to wake up right Weds.

I think LA will offer the 4th highest contract.

At some point you can't just keep spending and extending mega deals.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 08:58 PM)
"still in the mix" means "they aren't telling me s*** beyond 'he didn't tell us to f*** off and we won't be telling our little minions like you more than that'"

Our beat guys aren't running around like chickens with their heads cut off. That is a good thing. Part of the Sox pitch is probably team environment, family atmosphere, respect and privacy. These are all good things to offer.

I doubt we get him, but I also doubt he dislikes our offer. I could believe that if he weighed it all out in terms of risk, pressure, market size (not too small but not too big), etc. that we offer the best fit. But I can't imagine the Sox offering the most lucrative and player-friendly, f*** the team type of contract, and in the end I think that's what gets him. If the money is equal and he wants pride, I think it's the Yanks. If it's winning in 2014 and happy LA Japanese wife super popstar stuff, it's LA.