Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 09:14 PM)
Hm. It's very interesting stuff. NOT!

:stick

:chair

Well, you asked a question and I gave you the reason. Brains, use them or you could always continue scoffing away with youthful ignorance. Yay! Short attention spans!! Whooo hoooo :)

dur dur dur durrrrr!

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 11:59 PM)
Well, you asked a question and I gave you the reason. Brains, use them or you could always continue scoffing away with youthful ignorance. Yay! Short attention spans!! Whooo hoooo :)

dur dur dur durrrrr!

I'm all about those long-tailed SEO.

There's always money in the 'green and yellow fuzzy socks!' if you know what I mean.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 12:07 AM)
I'm all about those long-tailed SEO.

There's always money in the 'green and yellow fuzzy socks!' if you know what I mean.

People search for anything these days.

Even "tanaka Huston Astros" or "tanaka Seattle"

I'm not counting the mariners out of this race, especially considering that tanaka has been consulting with ichiro. They're the dark horse team for me.

Source: LoHud Yanks 1/17/2014 via Nikkan Sports 1/21/2014

===

The latest on Masahiro Tanaka from Tuesday, January 21, 2014.

Tanaka threw his fastball, slider, cutter, fork, and curve during his thirty-nine-pitch bullpen session on Monday. [Daily Sports 1/21/2014]

Tanaka threw what may have been a rising cutter while playing catch with Rakuten Eagle Manabu Mima on Monday (he threw it just once).  Of the thirty-nine pitches he threw in the bullpen, eighteen were breaking balls. [sports Hochi 1/21/2014]

Tanaka started throwing the cutter partway through last season.  He was not happy with it and continued to work on the pitch into the off-season.  The MLB baseball is changing some of the properties of his pitches.  His two-seamer had added sinking movement, in addition to its normal horizontal movement.  His cutter is also probably benefiting in a similar fashion by adding "rising" movement. [sponichi 1/21/2014]

Headlines from the US via Japanese media.

From the New York  Time's David Waldstein:

...But there is a feeling in some circles that the Yankees will not be outbid. One official with a National League team involved in the negotiations, who asked not to be identified because he was not authorized to speak on the matter, said his team believed that the Yankees would "do what the Yankees do and bid more than any other team."

Tanaka, though, does not have to choose the team making the highest bid. Under the new posting system between Nippon Professional Baseball and Major League Baseball, Tanaka can negotiate freely with interested teams and, regardless of the money, select the club he prefers to pitch for. The deadline to come to terms on a contract is Friday afternoon.

Source: New York Times 1/19/2014 via Nikkan Sports 1/21/2014

From ESPN Chicago's Jesse Rogers:

... Going into the weekend one major league source told ESPNChicago.com that the Cubs were willing to go as high as $25 million per year for between 6-8 years. Another source indicated the years were right but the price was lower. Both agreed the Yankees would be the stiffest competition unless the Los Angeles Dodgers blew everyone away at the last minute.

Source: ESPN Chicago 1/19/2014 via Sponichi 1/21/2014

From the New York Daily News' Andy Martino:

... Agent Casey Close and the interested clubs have conducted a remarkably private process, striking for its lack of leaks in an industry where information usually sneaks out somewhere.

Close has declined to comment on any aspect of the process throughout, and on Sunday he continued to do so.

Although Tanaka’s deadline is Friday, it is more than possible that he will choose a team earlier in the week. That would allow time for details of the contract to be finalized, and for a physical examination to take place.

http://yakyubaka.com/2014/01/21/1212014-go...ka+(Yakyu+Baka)

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 12:35 AM)
Source: LoHud Yanks 1/17/2014 via Nikkan Sports 1/21/2014

===

The latest on Masahiro Tanaka from Tuesday, January 21, 2014.

http://yakyubaka.com/2014/01/21/1212014-go...ka+(Yakyu+Baka)

Good stuff Frank. These nightly recaps have been the best source for information during this two week fiasco. Kudos.

Ty Youngfelt ‏@TyYoungfelt 57m

Theo in Tanaka pitch:"...you'll be our Kershaw, our Sabathia..."they know his personality,felt best approach was to sell him as 'the man'...

Ty Youngfelt ‏@TyYoungfelt 14m

@bpaoni Unchanged from my sources... Cubs high team, Dodgers w/lower, competitive offer focused on better geo/roster, Yanks getting creative

Ty Youngfelt ‏@TyYoungfelt 11m

Did hear that 1 team has an 'Oakland/Cespedes' type offer on table (really high AAV, really short contract) although MT seems uninterested

Ty Youngfelt ‏@TyYoungfelt 9m

@TyYoungfelt Hate 140 characters:to clarify at 1point such offer on table,Tanaka @ time uninterested, focusing on long term-not type to move

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 05:56 AM)
Ty Youngfelt ‏@TyYoungfelt 57m

Theo in Tanaka pitch:"...you'll be our Kershaw, our Sabathia..."they know his personality,felt best approach was to sell him as 'the man'...

How would this guy know this? I mean, how many people could have been in the room when Theo made his pitch? Seems to me that this Ty Youngfelt would be exposing his source by making this statement. I think this guy is full of s*** as well.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 06:07 AM)
How would this guy know this? I mean, how many people could have been in the room when Theo made his pitch? Seems to me that this Ty Youngfelt would be exposing his source by making this statement. I think this guy is full of s*** as well.

He very well may be, however almost all the Cubs mouth pieces have echoed the samething, their pitch was he can be the man on a team with a great future, as well they have said the Cubs contract will be 7 years and north of $135 Personally, I think its a poor sales pitch and half assed. I do sales for a living, this guy knows he's the man. If I'm him I want to know how youre going to make me the man. At least the Sox can say, we have the best pitching coach in the ML, he has taken guys with 100% less stuff than you and made them all-star pitcher, we are going to make you the man by putting you behind an already nasty SP in sale, who can help take the pressure off you the first year and let you hone your craft. We ate going to make you the man by marketing you to the Asian and non Asian markets in Chicago and the Midwest. In fact we have a ticket packaged named after you. I just think the Cubs came with weak sauce and if this guy goes there, I don't want him anyways.

And if the Sox or someone else did offer a 4/$100 million contract with let's say an option or 2 for 2018 and/or 2019. I'm not sure how his agent isn't advisin him to take it with the possibility of becoming a FA again at 29. Either way I'm glad the Sox made a push, and this shorter contract makes sense for the club and goes along with the history of contracts given to pitchers on this side of town.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

I mean really how do the Cubs make one the man, in the next say 3 years?? By running him out every 5 days with a minor league offense ( I know we're not much better), putting a sub par defense behind him, and then brining in that pathetic bullpen to save and hold his leads? I mean really? If he chooses the cubs he can say he's a competitor but really he chose the easy way out with the most money. Because of all the teams the cubs have the least amount of chance for sustained success in the first 3-4 years of his contract. By that time he will be an afterthought to the next Japenese star and another Cub player the cub faithful turns on because of a huge salary and lack of results.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

This thread is HILARIOUS.

Tweet about any team not the White Sox or the White Sox not being a real candidate = HOW WOULD THIS GUY KNOW HE'S NOT CREDIBLE EVERY TWEET IS A FARCE

Tweet about the White Sox still being involved = THIS IS GREAT THAT GUY'S CREDIBLE LIKE I SAID SOX ARE STILL IN THIS

Here's the reality. Masahiro Tanaka is sitting in a Japanese mansion with his wife on his face and three hotties working on his dong. When he comes up for air, only his agent and the four hotties have any idea what they're going to do. Anything posted by some douchebag in bumf*** wherever America is clearly a clueless one.

We'll find out soon, possibly as soon as today (but more likely tomorrow). Everyone calm their tits.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 20, 2014 -> 11:54 PM)
Industry sources tell me he had a good lunch with his wife and Mr. Nakamotsu. He enjoyed a Big Mac with Large Fries and a Large Coke from McDonalds.

That s*** is nearly poison. He's destroying his athletic career. Now I don't want him.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 07:44 AM)

Tweet about any team not the White Sox or the White Sox not being a real candidate = HOW WOULD THIS GUY KNOW HE'S NOT CREDIBLE EVERY TWEET IS A FARCE

Tweet about the White Sox still being involved = THIS IS GREAT THAT GUY'S CREDIBLE LIKE I SAID SOX ARE STILL IN THIS

Here's the reality. Masahiro Tanaka is sitting in a Japanese mansion with his wife on his face and three hotties working on his dong. When he comes up for air, only his agent and the four hotties have any idea what they're going to do. Anything posted by some douchebag in bumf*** wherever America is clearly a clueless one.

We'll find out soon, possibly as soon as today (but more likely tomorrow). Everyone calm their tits.

Anyone else find it weird that his agent is chilling in the room while everyone else is getting busy? Maybe it's a Japanese thing?

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 08:05 AM)
Hold on to your butts:

@TyYoungfelt: Currently Thursday, 7:30pm in Japan- have been told word will come in no later than 9p Friday in Japan or 6p tonight stateside...here we go

Right when Hahn goes on CTL and announces he's bringing his talents to the South Side

That makes zero sense. It's Tuesday in Japan, not Thursday. And Friday night in Japan as opposed to 6PM tonight stateside are two days apart.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 08:08 AM)
That makes zero sense. It's Tuesday in Japan, not Thursday. And Friday night in Japan as opposed to 6PM tonight stateside are two days apart.

Ya I didn't understand either. But it is Wednesday there I think not tuesday.

Correction: it's 11 PM there. About to be Wednesday

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 07:44 AM)

Thankfully, I have not said this. I have merely pointed out that almost all of this is bulls***. Like, "zOMG, MARINERS ARE INVOLVED, WHAT A SURPRISE" meaning Mariners are not involved, let's try and weed people out.

"zOMG White Sox are involved...?" except that they've been involved the whole time.

Cotillo's reports seem solid. Grazcyk's or whatever that guy's name is seem reasonable too, but maybe off base. Fact is Tanaka has been been keeping everything close to the vest. Teams and agents are leaking info trying to sell, sell, sell.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 08:08 AM)

That's a person that truly believes Tanaka is the most important person in the history of the world, what with his time traveling.

If it was an American making his decision about going to Japan, we'd be a hell of a lot closer.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 08:05 AM)
Hold on to your butts:

@TyYoungfelt: Currently Thursday, 7:30pm in Japan- have been told word will come in no later than 9p Friday in Japan or 6p tonight stateside...here we go

Right when Hahn goes on CTL and announces he's bringing his talents to the South Side

Yes, go figure a CUBS fan thinks this.

Tell me, what does Ty Youngfelt do? Why are we quoting him, he of the "if it's Tuesday in America, it's Friday in Japan" ?