Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

Rock said our limit was $20M a year. If the high offer is $120M/6 from the Cubs, well "blowing away the field" could mean blowing away the Yankees, Dodgers, and Dbacks.

The only people who have said anything about Tanaka regarding the Sox other than "won't happen" are Hahn, Kenny, bucket, and Rock. How can the Sox offer be blown out of the water when only the front office, Tanaka, and Close know what it is?

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 01:37 PM)
Rock said our limit was $20M a year. If the high offer is $120M/6 from the Cubs, well "blowing away the field" could mean blowing away the Yankees, Dodgers, and Dbacks.

The only people who have said anything about Tanaka regarding the Sox other than "won't happen" are Hahn, Kenny, bucket, and Rock. How can the Sox offer be blown out of the water when only the front office, Tanaka, and Close know what it is?

Exactly why random twitter posts are useless right now. I'm more optimistic because of the fact that we are not seeing a ton of garbage and the sox.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 01:38 PM)
If it's down to the Cubs and Yankees, I hope he signs with the Cubs. Stay out of the league. Go to a bad team.

I'd like the opportunity to see him pitch live, when I go to my 1 Cub game a year with enemy friends.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 01:38 PM)
If it's down to the Cubs and Yankees, I hope he signs with the Cubs. Stay out of the league. Go to a bad team.

Makes sense! Plus Chicago still gets Japanese tourism money. However, I have to listen to cub fans at work. So anywhere but the cubs is cool with me.

QUOTE (staxx @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)
Exactly why random twitter posts are useless right now. I'm more optimistic because of the fact that we are not seeing a ton of garbage and the sox.

For real, here is ALL we know about the Sox.

Hahn: We had a meeting with Mr. Tanaka, it was exploratory, we won't disclose anymore information about it to respect his wishes.

Kenny: We believe it won't come down to just money. We're in this.

Rock: $20M is the Sox per year limit. Had all the calculator nerds in office to fit him into the budget.

Bucket: ...if someone thinks the Sox are out of it, they're wrong.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 02:36 PM)
I can't believe anybody would guarantee 100M+ to a guy that's never pitched in the majors. That's an incredible risk.

Edit 120M+

Motherf***ers stupid.

The Japanese league is considered the 2nd strongest baseball league in the world and has a decent track record of pitchers having successful transitions. We committed 68 million to a Cuban who has never seen a MLB pitch and that deal is widely applauded, I don't see the big difference in risk here.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 02:40 PM)
The Japanese league is considered the 2nd strongest baseball league in the world and has a decent track record of pitchers having successful transitions. We committed 68 million to a Cuban who has never seen a MLB pitch and that deal is widely applauded, I don't see the big difference in risk here.

About $50 million in difference as I see it.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 02:40 PM)

There's been about as many Japanese players that have completely flopped as there has been that have succeeded.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jan 21, 2014 -> 12:36 PM)
I can't believe anybody would guarantee 100M+ to a guy that's never pitched in the majors. That's an incredible risk.

Edit 120M+

Motherf***ers stupid.

I sure wouldn't mind having another chance to grab darvish for 108M