Sox should trade for Samardzija

soxfan-kwman

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Coop would do great things for Jeff and I actually like him a lot because of his arm and stuff, but I am not trading what it would take to get him and as a result have zero desire. I am excited to see if Hahn can find a way to get Grandal or another young catcher.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 09:45 AM)
I've really enjoyed seeing a bunch of new active posters who don't yet know the general site stances on players and have the balls to post bad ideas.

Everyone should ignore this. This place is open for discussion and i don't give a f*** what the overall site stance is. I want people to post freely and not just get blasted with stupid points. If Samardzija wasn't going to generate such a costly return (in terms of trade), it would be foolish to not consider him given the big arm he possesses.

If you've been here for 10 years or 1 day...you deserve to be treated with respect on this site.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 06:52 AM)
No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

^ THIS ^ To say the very least! f*** no is more like it.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 07:02 PM)
Everyone should ignore this. This place is open for discussion and i don't give a f*** what the overall site stance is. I want people to post freely and not just get blasted with stupid points. If Samardzija wasn't going to generate such a costly return (in terms of trade), it would be foolish to not consider him given the big arm he possesses.

If you've been here for 10 years or 1 day...you deserve to be treated with respect on this site.

I was commending him. You have 100 or so core posters that know where everyone's stance is. Sometimes it feels like there's not point to start a thread that isn't news, and news doesn't come very often.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 07:47 AM)
He's like Javy Vazquez with wavy, golden locks.

Javy Vazquez finished with a career 54 WAR. That's good enough for Top 75 of all time. He's in the same WAR bracket as Whitey Ford, David Cone, Doc Gooden, etc, and their innings are all comparable.

Samardzija's market value is pretty high because people see a potential Scherzer-like breakout (potential being the key word). He certainly has the stuff. Maybe 9.0 K/9 turns into 10.0 K/9 next season. I wouldn't be shocked.

I'll be targeting him in fantasy leagues, in any event.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 03:45 PM)
I thought he grew up a Sox fan.

Yes he was a sox fan growing up. Imagine having to play for the Cubs, coming to the Sox, & now, not having to hit either. Change of scenery, a haircut, & some time with Coop could make him into real good pitcher for the sox.

Edited by soxfan-kwman

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 06:06 PM)
Javy Vazquez finished with a career 54 WAR. That's good enough for Top 75 of all time. He's in the same WAR bracket as Whitey Ford, David Cone, Doc Gooden, etc, and their innings are all comparable.

Samardzija's market value is pretty high because people see a potential Scherzer-like breakout (potential being the key word). He certainly has the stuff. Maybe 9.0 K/9 turns into 10.0 K/9 next season. I wouldn't be shocked.

I'll be targeting him in fantasy leagues, in any event.

This is where I will defer to bWAR (or RA9-WAR), which was 43.3. Yes, talent wise, he was one of the best pitchers I have ever seen. Frankly, I have never seen a guy with that kind of stuff and control in my life. He was filthy. He just so happened to leave pitches out over the heart of the plate all the time. As a result, he missed out on that talent by 10 wins over the course of his career. He only pitched in 4 postseason games, but he was absolutely horrendous in them. His WPA added for his entire career was 5.85 (Mark Buehrle is at 15.54). He was not a very good pitcher, as much as I loved him when he was with the White Sox.

(Mark Buehrle, FWIW, is at 48.2 WAR and 55.2 RA9-WAR)

To some degree, this is how I feel about Jeff Samardzija too. I think he is a talented pitcher with very good stuff, but there is no way I feel that the Sox should be looking to acquire him. His career WAR is 6.1 while his RA9-WAR is 4. His WPA of -0.05. He's always had a tendency to allow runners on base to score, and he has always had a tendency to allow home runs. He is the cliche thrower rather than pitcher.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 01:34 PM)
I would support exploring a trade for him, if the Cubs priced him for what he is: a number 3 starter.

Talks ended with Atlanta when they asked for BJ Upton or Jason Heyward. They requested two of the best pitching prospects in the game from Toronto in Marcus Stroman and Aaron Sanchez. They are treating him like he is one of the best pitchers in the game.

The Sox probably don't even have the requisite prospects, unless you want to give up, say, Erik Johnson, Marcus Semien, Adam Eaton, and Daniel Webb.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 01:39 PM)
Talks ended with Atlanta when they asked for BJ Upton or Jason Heyward. They requested two of the best pitching prospects in the game from Toronto in Marcus Stroman and Aaron Sanchez. They are treating him like he is one of the best pitchers in the game.

The Sox probably don't even have the requisite prospects, unless you want to give up, say, Erik Johnson, Marcus Semien, Adam Eaton, and Daniel Webb.

Yeah I don't think anyone would say no if the price was cheap, but everything out there shows it won't be cheap. I think that is why most everyone is saying hell no.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 01:39 PM)

That would be ridiculous.

And honestly, he's only signed for 2 years, so now that I think about it, I wouldn't want the Sox to trade for him even if they priced him reasonably.