Just for Fun - your Top Prospects

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 11:09 PM)
I'd say they're mostly thinking about your top 20 versus everyone else's. They'll also have an impression of each of your recent drafts, though, which will certainly overlap with some of your top 20 but they may also like guys from your recent drafts that haven't yet made a name enough to crack the top XX list.

Erik Johnson is a top 100 prospect -- someone even mentioned that he probably gets too little love due to BNS (Boring Name Syndrome).

Better organizations would have several guys in a given year that look just like Semien. Guys who didn't have any great tools, but really broke out and took a pretty good performance to really really good levels. Some of those guys don't pan out. For us, we need our guy like that to pan out.

Yeah, I think this has some merit. Compare Jake Odorizzi and Erik Johnson, for instance. The main difference between the two has been their prospect ranking.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why you don't just look at stats. Taillon is nearly two full years younger and strikes out more batters.

I've read some conflicting reports on Anderson's defense, but given his speed and athleticism, my guess would be if he hits enough, he will be fine, "modest arm strength" or no.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 07:51 AM)
Jake pretty much covers it here...

I will note though, I saw a BA writer hint that Semien may be in the T100 coming up. Johnson already is/was, Hawkins has been previously. Tim Anderson might show up too.

It wouldn't blow my mind if Semien does make the top 100. His AA production was pretty tough to ignore, as is his total lack of any non-average tools.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 10:05 AM)
Wow, good vibes in the Future Sox forum?

From fangraphs:

Adam Eaton knew his place from the jump. I'm assuming that coaches are constantly asking Tim to work counts and hit ground balls/line drives. Finding a way to reach first base should be his mission in life.

But he obviously has great potential in the speed categories. His BABIP was .384, and he stole 24 bases in only 68 games.

Fangraphs also said that he has "modest arm strength". There are exceptions, but in the vast majority of cases, those guys eventually find a home at 2B, correct?

God, I hope he works out.

Almost all of the scouting stuff I've seen about Anderson reads like the scouts weren't watching much MS juco ball and don't really know what he has defensively. He may become a 2B, CF, or LF, but for now he seems to have the physical tools to play SS and just needs a lot of polish.

• 2 weeks later...

My Final Top 25 Propsect list. Organizational has made some steady progress this past year. Now let's hope the White Sox start developing some hitters for the ball-club.

1. Abreu

2. Davidson

3. E. Johnson

4. T. Anderson

5. Hawkins

6. Semien

7. Beck

8. M. Johnson

9. Thompson

10. Zapata

11. Webb

12. C. Sanchez

13. Danish

14. Snodgress

15. May

16. Petricka

17. Olacio

18. Engel

19. Barnum

20. Michelczewski

21. Montas

22. Walker

23. DeMichele

24. Jaye

25. L. Garcia

Others to keep an Eye On

Andrew Mitchell

Euclides Leyer

Brad Goldberg

Kevin Vance

Cody Winiarski

Sammy Ayala

Kyle Hansen

Chris Bassitt

Kevan Smith

Tyler Saldino

Rangel Ravelo

Jason Coats

Cleuluis Rodon

Baseball America released their list of Top 30 White Sox prospects today. I don't have the entire transcript and I'm old school and still purchase the Prospect Handbook anyway, but this is tweet is interesting from Daryl Van Schouwen.

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 3m

#WhiteSox top prospects, per Baseball America: 1 Abreu 2 EJohnson 3 Anderson 4 Davidson 5 Semien 6 MJohnson 7 Hawkins 8Thompson

9Beck 10 May

Having Hawkins at #7 is very interesting.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 05:15 PM)
Baseball America released their list of Top 30 White Sox prospects today. I don't have the entire transcript and I'm old school and still purchase the Prospect Handbook anyway, but this is tweet is interesting from Daryl Van Schouwen.

#WhiteSox top prospects, per Baseball America: 1 Abreu 2 EJohnson 3 Anderson 4 Davidson 5 Semien 6 MJohnson 7 Hawkins 8Thompson

9Beck 10 May

Interesting why? Anywhere in the 5-10 range seems very reasonable to me. Actually #7 is exactly where I have him on my list at the moment.

Also I like Jacob May getting into the top 10. Currently I have him at #11 and am very interested to see how he does this season.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 09:38 AM)
I noticed the other day that the White Sox Web Site has pitcher Erik Surkamp as its # 11 prospect. No one here has him listed anywhere. Not sure why Sox have him listed so high.

Surkamp will get at least a little love on the FutureSox list, based on early returns.

Our list should be out in the coming days, by the way.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 12:44 PM)
Interesting why? Anywhere in the 5-10 range seems very reasonable to me. Actually #7 is exactly where I have him on my list at the moment.

Also I like Jacob May getting into the top 10. Currently I have him at #11 and am very interested to see how he does this season.

I guess I just value ceiling more than most people. I also don't think Jose Abreu should be considered a prospect though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 02:34 PM)
I guess I just value ceiling more than most people. I also don't think Jose Abreu should be considered a prospect though.

The White Sox don't either. Abreu is not mentioned on the web site's top twenty. But since he has never played in the minors or majors, it seems as if he shouild be considered a prospect, unless there is an age qualifier.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 03:33 PM)
The White Sox don't either. Abreu is not mentioned on the web site's top twenty. But since he has never played in the minors or majors, it seems as if he shouild be considered a prospect, unless there is an age qualifier.

There is no age qualifier and he is technically a rookie on day 1 of this season. If/when he hits 75 home runs this year his rookie of the year award should be quite certain.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 10:15 AM)

9Beck 10 May

I think Anderson at 3 is the biggest surprise to me.

*Jose Abreu (I don't count him as a prospect but if going strictly by definition he'd be no. 1)

1. Erik Johnson

2. Matt Davidson

3. Tyler Danish

4. Marcus Semien

5. Chris Beck

6. Keon Barnum

7. Trayce Thompson

8. Tim Anderson (I don't think he will stick at SS which drops him down)

9. Courtney Hawkins (hated the pick, don't think he'll make it, but he is loaded with potential)

10. Micah Johnson

11. Jacob May

12. Eric Surkamp

13. Scott Snodgrass

14. Daniel Webb

15. Trey Michalczewski

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jan 7, 2014 -> 06:47 PM)
*Jose Abreu (I don't count him as a prospect but if going strictly by definition he'd be no. 1)

1. Erik Johnson

2. Matt Davidson

3. Tyler Danish

4. Marcus Semien

5. Chris Beck

6. Keon Barnum

7. Trayce Thompson

8. Tim Anderson (I don't think he will stick at SS which drops him down)

9. Courtney Hawkins (hated the pick, don't think he'll make it, but he is loaded with potential)

10. Micah Johnson

11. Jacob May

12. Eric Surkamp

13. Scott Snodgrass

14. Daniel Webb

15. Trey Michalczewski

Like your list. Probably closest to my own. :)

Not Top 20-25, but based on position, left-handedness and hitting performance at Great Falls, let me add catcher Zach Fisher to the list of spects I'll be watching closely. A few of the other GF rookies; ZVoight, TShyrock, Jake Morris and CStringer may also be worth a follow this season.

Any info folks can share on ZF is greatly appreciated.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 01:48 PM)
Like your list. Probably closest to my own. :)

Not Top 20-25, but based on position, left-handedness and hitting performance at Great Falls, let me add catcher Zach Fisher to the list of spects I'll be watching closely. A few of the other GF rookies; ZVoight, TShyrock, Jake Morris and CStringer may also be worth a follow this season.

Any info folks can share on ZF is greatly appreciated.

Fisher is interesting. Drafted low (27th rd) in 2012 our of NMSU, where he hit very well and started for 3 years, led the WAC in a few hitting categories that year. No scouting reports I can find at the usual sources, not sure why he went so low to be honest. He repeated Great Falls after putting up pretty uninspiring numbers there in his draft year, then tore it up in 2013 to get a late season promotion to Kanny. He was splitting time all year though, only got into 62 games in 2013, so the org may not see him as a starter. He posts good contact rates (K/PA in the 15% territory), has some power, but doesn't walk a ton. He DH'd a bit both years, probably as a function of having to split time with a couple other guys on the roster.

He's still fairly young considering he had 3 years of college ball and repeated rookie ball, will be 22 for the 2014 season. Likely he's in the pot with other GF catchers for starting time in Kanny in '14 (the Bristol guys like Ayala and Barraza I'd suspect stay in Rk one more season). Of his competition (Dillon Haupt and Trey Wimmer)... Haupt is a similar age but was drafted in '13 in the 20th, and didn't put up any special numbers in GF. Wimmer is a year older, but was a '13 draftee like Haupt. Wimmer showed more power than Haupt, but a lower average and similar plate discipline ratios.

The bottom line really is, these guys all split time in GF, all just played catcher or DH'd, and their numbers weren't wildly different. So likely the differentiating factors will be things we don't know - how their catcher defense looks, how they handle pitchers, and how they "look" scouting-wise. I can't find much info of that kind for any of them, so... I can't easily differentiate them. It should also be noted that the Pioneer League is a hitters' league, so their offensive numbers may be slightly inflated.

Just for fun, some brief pre-draft scouting reports on each of the three C's mentioned above...

Fisher:

83. New Mexico State JR C Zac Fisher: bigger scout (and personal) favorite than the numbers might suggest; above-average raw power; advanced bat with a good approach; bat is currently way ahead of glove – still learning the finer points of what it takes to be a catcher, so, if drafted, time will have to be spent bringing his defense up to a more acceptable level; 6-3, 210 pounds

2011: .275/.345/.444 – 18 BB/28 K – 171 AB

2012: .266/.361/.383 – 32 BB/34 K – 214 AB – 2/2 SB

So he's likely very raw at the position, converted from 3B, but pretty advanced with the bat. Which makes his draft year numbers a bit disappointing.

Haupt:

50. San Diego JR C Dillon Haupt: plus arm strength; good first year of Division I ball, but could really take off with another year of experience; 6-5, 225 pounds

2012: .287/.396/.467 – 22 BB/29 K – 167 AB – 3/4 SB

Not much to go on there, but the arm strength and him being more of a native catcher would hint he is more mature defensively at the position than Fisher.

Wimmer wasn't even on any reports we could find, and is older. My guess he's behind the other two on any depth charts, but that is only a guess.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)
Just for fun, some brief pre-draft scouting reports on each of the three C's mentioned above...

Fisher:

So he's likely very raw at the position, converted from 3B, but pretty advanced with the bat. Which makes his draft year numbers a bit disappointing.

Haupt:

Not much to go on there, but the arm strength and him being more of a native catcher would hint he is more mature defensively at the position than Fisher.

Wimmer wasn't even on any reports we could find, and is older. My guess he's behind the other two on any depth charts, but that is only a guess.

Thanks NS. I guess we'll see who gets the bulk of C play in Kanny.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jan 6, 2014 -> 09:38 AM)
I noticed the other day that the White Sox Web Site has pitcher Erik Surkamp as its # 11 prospect. No one here has him listed anywhere. Not sure why Sox have him listed so high.

He was well within the top 10 in the SF organization, so shouldn't be a surprise. He figures to be a useful major league starter

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jan 11, 2014 -> 01:48 PM)
Was the Serpent ever in the Yanks or anyone's top 10? Also, how many teams passed then?

We're good at precisely this, so I'm confident he'll become useful.

White Sox do seem to be great at pitching reclamations.

Shame we didn't sell Humber off.

I am not counting Abreu because there is a zero percent chance he starts in the minors.

1. E. Johnson

2. Anderson

3. Davidson

4. Hawkins

5. Semien

6. M. Johnson

7. Chris Beck

8. Thompson

9. May

10. Webb

I get dropping Hawkins a couple spots due to the tough season, but he had no business at that level as a 19 year old. I've seen him outside of the top 5 A LOT. Still really young and really athletic. Also was very impressed with the way Anderson and May handled their short seasons. I think Semien will be a very fine 2B. Webb is going to be a closer, surprised he's not on many prospects lists when Reed was routinely top 5 as he came up.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 12, 2014 -> 02:55 PM)
I am not counting Abreu because there is a zero percent chance he starts in the minors.

1. E. Johnson

2. Anderson

3. Davidson

4. Hawkins

5. Semien

6. M. Johnson

7. Chris Beck

8. Thompson

9. May

10. Webb

I get dropping Hawkins a couple spots due to the tough season, but he had no business at that level as a 19 year old. I've seen him outside of the top 5 A LOT. Still really young and really athletic. Also was very impressed with the way Anderson and May handled their short seasons. I think Semien will be a very fine 2B. Webb is going to be a closer, surprised he's not on many prospects lists when Reed was routinely top 5 as he came up.

The nice thing is that we can legitimately say "we have a number of other potential starters at the high levels of the organization right now" so there's a reason why Hawkins or Webb might be a little low. There's simply more above them right now.