Your Catcher

rowand's rowdies

With the way Rick Hahn has been making trades, I've been able to take a look at all possible available catchers in baseball and say to myself, wow, I think Rick could make it happen. Nice to feel this way.

Anyway, who's your 1 target and what are you going to give up to get him?

Mine's Jonathan Lucroy, MIL C

Signed through 2016, Club Option for 2017, $5 million/season at its most expensive.

Big power, not over the hill. Don't know much about his defense or pitch calling honestly.

Trade Bait:

Dunn (Power 1B for one season, reasonable $, Sox could cover some)

John Danks

Beckham

Alexi

Quintana

C Hawkins

Mitchell

Rienzo

Not sure what it might take, but it will take a lot, but I would pay a lot for Lucroy.

Thoughts?

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 08:57 PM)
With the way Rick Hahn has been making trades, I've been able to take a look at all possible available catchers in baseball and say to myself, wow, I think Rick could make it happen. Nice to feel this way.

Anyway, who's your 1 target and what are you going to give up to get him?

Mine's Jonathan Lucroy, MIL C

Signed through 2016, Club Option for 2017, $5 million/season at its most expensive.

Big power, not over the hill. Don't know much about his defense or pitch calling honestly.

Trade Bait:

Dunn (Power 1B for one season, reasonable $, Sox could cover some)

John Danks

Beckham

Alexi

Quintana

C Hawkins

Mitchell

Rienzo

Not sure what it might take, but it will take a lot, but I would pay a lot for Lucroy.

Thoughts?

Trading Hawkins at this point would be crazy. They need to give him at least another 1 1/2 years...because he was looking to be on course to be a future superstar one year ago at this time.

Frankly, unless something becomes available at a relatively decent price, and given the circumstances of the current team, I have no problem going to Spring Training with Flowers, Phegley, Nieto, and Gimenez battling it out for two spots.

I ultimately believe Phegley and Nieto will win out. Gimenez is on a minor league deal, so no big deal. Flowers has to clear waivers but, as I understand, cannot refuse an assignment to the minors due to his lack of service time. He will murder AAA pitching for a while.

Castro and Lucroy could only be acquired if we gave up Q imo, as I assume each team would look for ML ready, cost controlled talent, which is not worth it . Would turn our rotation into a weakness. Jaso would be easier to acquire, but the concussion stuff scares me. One blow to the head and he's done.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 09:31 PM)
Frankly, unless something becomes available at a relatively decent price, and given the circumstances of the current team, I have no problem going to Spring Training with Flowers, Phegley, Nieto, and Gimenez battling it out for two spots.

I ultimately believe Phegley and Nieto will win out. Gimenez is on a minor league deal, so no big deal. Flowers has to clear waivers but, as I understand, cannot refuse an assignment to the minors due to his lack of service time. He will murder AAA pitching for a while.

I'd rather have Josh starting but feel as if Flowers is better equipped to be a back up, if that makes sense.

Long time peruser, first time poster:

Does anybody know anything about Yenier Bello, the Cuban catcher? He held a workout for scouts in Mexico in the beginning of November. I haven't heard how he performed (or what scouts thought of how he performed). His case was submitted to immigration about the same time. It has been about six weeks. Is he going to be available as a free agent soon?

I actually don't see Hahn making any moves at catcher until next offseason. I don't think he wants to trade assets before he gives Phegley and even Nieto a fair shake at things, and I don't have a problem with that. Hahn addressed CF, 3B, RF, and 1B since July. Hard to be upset with that kind of improvement. If he wants to wait until 2015 to officially rule out any of the 3 guys we have, that's fine by me. This team isn't going to the playoffs next year, so there is no reason to force the issue if something doesn't present itself.

Probably a reach but Hector Sanchez seems like an interesting name....

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playe...&position=C

Just turned 24 and he's a switch hitter. Has handled the bat pretty decently in his career for a catcher....apparently a little on the heavy side though so can't speak of his D. Never actually seen him play, just doing some digging.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 08:24 PM)
In this order...

Castro

Lucroy

Rosario

Jaso

Grandal

Lobaton

Depending on what they'd give I'd be happy with any of them.

Agreed, except for Lobaton. He's never put up anything decent numberswise, and was probably used ideally by Maddon, ala Kepp. Lobaton gives us 3 backup catchers instead of 2. Thrillsville.

I want a catcher for the future, not just for this year. I think Lucroy is the best fit. Great contract, great power and avg, good for the next 3-5 years.

What if we give them:

Dunn (pay half his salary so $7 million sent)

Carlos Sanchez 3B Prospect (Depth now with Davidson)

Trayce Thompson OF Prospect (Depth now with Eaton)

Tyler Flowers (replacement catcher)

Jeff Keppinger (pay half his salary for next 2 years so $4 million sent)

All for Lucroy. We eat some money but save some money, have a top 8 player at an important position, and clear some at bats for young developing players in the big leagues as well as upper minors. Could Milwaukee say no to this deal? They have nothing going on and this gives them a lot for now and later, as well as some trade chips in Dunn and Keppinger who could get them more prospects. They need a total rebuild there in Brewtown.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 07:02 PM)
I want a catcher for the future, not just for this year. I think Lucroy is the best fit. Great contract, great power and avg, good for the next 3-5 years.

What if we give them:

Dunn (pay half his salary so $7 million sent)

Carlos Sanchez 3B Prospect (Depth now with Davidson)

Trayce Thompson OF Prospect (Depth now with Eaton)

Tyler Flowers (replacement catcher)

Jeff Keppinger (pay half his salary for next 2 years so $4 million sent)

All for Lucroy. We eat some money but save some money, have a top 8 player at an important position, and clear some at bats for young developing players in the big leagues as well as upper minors. Could Milwaukee say no to this deal? They have nothing going on and this gives them a lot for now and later, as well as some trade chips in Dunn and Keppinger who could get them more prospects. They need a total rebuild there in Brewtown.

It's an interesting idea, although I don't think they'd want all that junk.

Perhaps we could bring a third team in - one that needs De Aza - and throw a legit prospect the Brewers way for him. De Aza is the only tradeable vet we have with any value.

Still, I'd rather us still stockpile young players.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 07:02 PM)
I want a catcher for the future, not just for this year. I think Lucroy is the best fit. Great contract, great power and avg, good for the next 3-5 years. What if we give them: Dunn (pay half his salary so $7 million sent) Carlos Sanchez 3B Prospect (Depth now with Davidson) Trayce Thompson OF Prospect (Depth now with Eaton) Tyler Flowers (replacement catcher) Jeff Keppinger (pay half his salary for next 2 years so $4 million sent) All for Lucroy. We eat some money but save some money, have a top 8 player at an important position, and clear some at bats for young developing players in the big leagues as well as upper minors. Could Milwaukee say no to this deal? They have nothing going on and this gives them a lot for now and later, as well as some trade chips in Dunn and Keppinger who could get them more prospects. They need a total rebuild there in Brewtown.

That gives Milwaukee very little to nothing. If Dunn & Kepp could get prospects, they probably would have been traded already by the Sox. Flowers appears to suck and the other two Sox prospects aren't exactly top on anyone's lists.

Lucroy is signed for $17 million over the next 4 seasons. The Brewers should be asking for a king's ransom for him.

Lucroy, Castro, Grandal - we do not have the pieces to put a deal together for any of those catchers, and it is very hard to believe that those teams would be interested in trading that type of valuable player.

Realistically we are going to have to settle for a backup - preferably LH or switch - who has good defensive skills and can put the bat on the ball. I think someone like Hector Sanchez (blocked forever by Posey) fits that profile, though I am not sure what we have that would interest the Giants (Keppinger?). Am not fluent enough with other backups, but have to believe that is where Hahn is focused.