Viciedo; Start, platoon, or trade?

southsider2k5

It makes no sense to platoon him with a 30 year old who is on the last year of his contract. Give Dayan everyday AB's in LF for at least 1/2 the season and see if he has put anything together yet. Trading him shouldn't be an option either because you would be selling pretty much at his lowest possible point.

And this is coming from someone who doesn't have much hope for Dayan

I don't think either DeAza or Viciedo is a starting OF for a championship team, so I trade whichever one gets me the biggest return, or both if I can get a decent return on both.

Platoon is a last resort if there really isn't a decent trade deal out there for either one.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 11:41 AM)
It makes no sense to platoon him with a 30 year old who is on the last year of his contract. Give Dayan everyday AB's in LF for at least 1/2 the season and see if he has put anything together yet. Trading him shouldn't be an option either because you would be selling pretty much at his lowest possible point.

Well, that, and he was equally effective (ineffective) against RHP last year, so the platoon idea made a lot more sense after '12. I'm inclined to give him a full year of AB's - DeAza is the only real alternative, barring trade, and I think Levine is probably accurate on the org's distaste for ADA.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 12:38 PM)
Start Viciedo, trade De Aza, Danks as 4th OF.

Bingo.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 12:40 PM)
I believe the org thinks he could be the next Carlos Lee.

Definitely could be.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 12:45 PM)
I don't think either DeAza or Viciedo is a starting OF for a championship team, so I trade whichever one gets me the biggest return, or both if I can get a decent return on both.

Platoon is a last resort if there really isn't a decent trade deal out there for either one.

Viciedo is only going to be 24 or 25. You don't just give up on him while he's that young.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 12:41 PM)

White Sox have 2 more years of control on De Aza.

I'd like to trade De Aza, but I wouldn't just give him away. He is a solid player, and would fit in just fine in any lineup batting 7th or 8th. The Sox need LH bats. I would use De Aza as the 4th OF who gets starts at every OF position once a week, maybe twice in LF. Not a straight platoon, because I think Dayan needs ABs, but definitely get him in there. Someone will come calling for De Aza eventually - just wait until the return is right. He doesn't HAVE to be moved.

Edited by ChiSox59

It's the beat writers planting the platoon story. The Sox obviously want to move De Aza and start Viciedo in LF. They are talking about the platoon so it appears that White Sox would be comfortable keeping him. It's classic posturing. In this case it doesn't really matter though. I don't think they will get more for De Aza just by pretending that they'd like to keep him.

De Aza - Lefty, speed, better defense, better eye, surprising power, better war

Viciedo - Youth, better power potential, better base runner, surprisingly lower K%, better iso

There's more to both than that obviously. (more-so just a quick summary before I go to bed) Personally I prefer neither, but in a rebuild, Viciedo obviously is the more attractive piece. Depending on what kind of hitter/player they get at catcher, I would hope sox get (or develop) a player who has a combination of both of those guys attributes. Too bad Shin Soo Choo is older and more expensive. He would be beyond perfect for this team.

No offense, but what team would trade for either of Viciedo/DeAza? I mean what team would be thinking either of those guys is attractive to make a deal for?

I'd be able to stomach Tank another season to see if he can emerge if we'd get lucky enough to dump Dunn. DeAza would be OK if he'd stop the bonehead plays.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 01:55 PM)
No offense, but what team would trade for either of Viciedo/DeAza? I mean what team would be thinking either of those guys is attractive to make a deal for?

I'd be able to stomach Tank another season to see if he can emerge if we'd get lucky enough to dump Dunn. DeAza would be OK if he'd stop the bonehead plays.

There are a lot of teams who will have interest in De Aza. Just because you don't like them, greg, does not mean that they do not have value.

Viciedo is only 24 years old. His age fits right into the 'new core' of young players. I know he has been the every day LF two years now, but the dude has potential to be a very dangerous hitter.

It really makes no sense to carry along De Aza anymore. I'm hoping we can possibly get a young reliever in return for him.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 04:55 PM)
It really makes no sense to carry along De Aza anymore. I'm hoping we can possibly get a young reliever in return for him.

His value is way more than that, he will be 30 years old on opening day and under team control for 2 years with the option to extended a QO for his age 32 season that is literally his peak years 26-32. This year he should make 4.4mil and next you're looking at around 9.5 tentatively, thats 14m if we round up over two years. Over 600 AB's Oliver projects him to be worth 2.8WAR in CF over 600 AB, last year he had 675AB if you just do the math alone you should add .3WAR to his projection and moving him from CF to LF you can look to add an additional .3-.5WAR realistically for positive defense adjustments. So he goes from 2.8 to 3.4 based off ABs and moving him to LF conservatively. 1WAR as it stands today is going for nearly 7mil on the open market. With out any of my adjustments he should be worth 19.6M next season after taking out his likely contract you're left with a surplus value of 15.2M thats huge! add in additional ABs and moving to LF and you're looking at 19.4M. Let say he stumbles and declines slightly in his last year of arb and only produces 2WAR that is still a 4.5M surplus and that doesn't take into account inflation in the market either.

TL:DR De Aza is worth far more than just a reliever you should be looking at two prospects in 6-11 range of a mid tier system based off that value alone.

Viciedo posted a 114 wRC+ in the 2nd half of last year. Had he been that productive over the course of the full season, he would have led the team in that stat (Garcia has a 109 wRC+ with us). What's funny is that he has the potential to be way better than that too. His BB% has plenty of room to grow, he just needs to learn how to be more selective on a consistent basis. At times last year he appeared to be making progress in this area, but would quickly return to bad habits and become overly aggressive. I still have faith he will improve his plate discipline at the major league level because of the significant improvement he demonstrated in 2011 at AAA (8.9 BB% and 16.4 K%). Like any other young player making adjustments, he simply needs more ABs against good major league pitching. The physical talent is clearly there, not giving another 600 PAs and a chance to work with Steverson would incredibly short-sighted IMO.

We are trying to get a young core that can grow together, Viciedo is exactly that. He will fit perfectly with this group and he will have the most MLB experience that he will benefit from. He needs to stay here and start next year and play with these young players. I think he will benefit greatly from it. I will be very disappointed if he is traded.