Hahn's next move?

The Ultimate Champion

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 1, 2014 -> 11:16 PM)
I'd be shocked if Gillaspie can't play 2B at least well enough to be a Keppinger-like "anything but SS" utility player with solid platoon splits for that purpose.

But that's the problem -- we need a guy that can play SS. If Davidson makes the team out of ST, right now the bench looks like:

1B/DH Konerko

C Flowers/Nieto

OF De Aza/Viciedo

IF Keppinger

??

That fifth slot, which they probably would rather not even carry in lieu of another reliever anyway, absolutely must be someone that can play SS, as that's the only position not covered. Battling for that final slot will be Garcia, Danks, Gillaspie, and Semien at a minimum. Semien can start in AAA, and Garcia is the only other one that can handle SS. That leaves both Gillaspie and Danks without a job, and I'd be surprised if we didn't lose one or both to waivers because neither has anything to prove in AAA.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 11:54 AM)
But that's the problem -- we need a guy that can play SS. If Davidson makes the team out of ST, right now the bench looks like:

1B/DH Konerko

C Flowers/Nieto

OF De Aza/Viciedo

IF Keppinger

??

That fifth slot, which they probably would rather not even carry in lieu of another reliever anyway, absolutely must be someone that can play SS, as that's the only position not covered. Battling for that final slot will be Garcia, Danks, Gillaspie, and Semien at a minimum. Semien can start in AAA, and Garcia is the only other one that can handle SS. That leaves both Gillaspie and Danks without a job, and I'd be surprised if we didn't lose one or both to waivers because neither has anything to prove in AAA.

The sad thing is, I made a big deal about the obvious lack of backups when Konerko was signed, and that's no longer the worst problem on the roster. The problems on the roster now are:

1. No room for Davidson without releasing Gillaspie/Keppinger

2. De Aza is a terrible option as a backup OF for this team

3. There's no one to back up shortstop other than Leury and there's no roster spot for Leury without releasing both Gillaspie and Keppinger

I'll be impressed if they can just solve the first 2.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 10:54 AM)

1B/DH Konerko

C Flowers/Nieto

OF De Aza/Viciedo

IF Keppinger

??

With Alexei's durability, I'm sure Beckham can step in to play short once or twice next year. He did play short a bit in his minor league rehab last year and I think at one point was the only backup ss on the mlb team.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 10:57 AM)
With Alexei's durability, I'm sure Beckham can step in to play short once or twice next year. He did play short a bit in his minor league rehab last year and I think at one point was the only backup ss on the mlb team.

I have actually made this point a couple times and stand by it. You really don't need anything more than an emergency shortstop. You go into the year fully expecting Alexei to play 162 games, and if he needs a day off here or there, you can simply use Beckham there. It's an extremely small sample where they'll need a back up at shortstop, like 2-4 games

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 10:57 AM)

Everyone seems like like that theory, but the reality is that Beckham has played zero innings at SS in his ML career. There's no indication at all that the team believes he can play there.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 11:54 AM)

1B/DH Konerko

C Flowers/Nieto

OF De Aza/Viciedo

IF Keppinger

??

I'm thinking they would like this, at this point:

Konerko

[backup catcher TBD]

4th OF that isn't ADA or Viciedo

3B/2B/1B/emergency LF Gillaspie

Jake Elmore or similar player (RH bat, all IF positions and in his case OF as well, eliminating need for Gillaspie to be emergency player ther)

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 12:29 PM)

Konerko

[backup catcher TBD]

Jake Elmore or similar player (RH bat, all IF positions and in his case OF as well, eliminating need for Gillaspie to be emergency player ther)

That leaves them only a 6 man bullpen. Especially with the veterans they signed, difficult to see that happening.

The bench typically gets 4 slots. Konerko, Catcher, OF, IF.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 11:29 AM)

Konerko

[backup catcher TBD]

I forgot about Elmore.

They really need to dump Keppinger somehow.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 11:47 AM)
Yeah, Elmore is a good asset. He and Leury would be on the utility man all-star team.

I think it's probably one or the other IMO

We have to take Paulie, so I think we're looking at a C, a SS who is the IF UT guy, then either a corner IF type or an OF

Right now, on a 4 man bench I'd say we'd have Paulie the rolemodel & RH PH, a C, Leury to cover the MIF, and Gillaspie as the corner IF & LF backup plus the LH PH... DeAza is the backup CF to Eaton and when he's not there you have either Viciedo or Gillaspie in LF

Edited by The Ultimate Champion

I forgot about Elmore! Dang, ALL OF THE RIGHT HANDED UTILITY INFIELDERS!!!! LeuryG needs to make this team, and find a way to hit tough righties, so Alexei and/or Beckham are tolerable. Konerko really put a damper on this team's bench situation. Keppinger is toast. Gillaspie works fine with Davidson for the first few months if there is room for him, but I'm starting to think that the only way Davidson breaks with the big club is if Keppinger and/or Dunn are not on the team...

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 04:18 PM)
I really don't think Garcia can hit well enough to even be a bench player at this point. Roll with Elmore. Might take Elmore over an OF, even, and have a normal 4 man bench.

I think he can. He's also a prolific base-stealer, so he can put himself in scoring position. Not bad for the 9 hitter (presuming Ventura figures out that that's where he needs to be). He can play IF or OF. But AAA isn't a bad idea for a year either.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 06:01 PM)
I think he can. He's also a prolific base-stealer, so he can put himself in scoring position. Not bad for the 9 hitter (presuming Ventura figures out that that's where he needs to be). He can play IF or OF. But AAA isn't a bad idea for a year either.

Honestly I don't think he can. I want to see him prove me wrong in AAA before I'm convinced. He didnt' have a good year in winterball and someone quoted Sox brass as being surprised how poorly developed his hit tool was