Hahn's next move?

The Ultimate Champion

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 11:07 AM)
No. About the only time the Sox would release/DFA Dunn would be like mid-August if it were obvious they weren't going to get something for him and he wanted to sign on with a potential playoff team to help them out down the stretch as a bat off the bench.

And if that were the case, the Sox would instead find a way to do a waiver-wire trade that saves them $75k or something non-zero instead.

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 10:09 AM)
Honestly, I think it will ultimately be less than that.

Could be, but it's better just to assume it's going all the way.

Best case scenario, he puts the 44 on his back, and he has a great season for a surprise playoff Sox team.

Next best, maybe an NL team wants him for the stretch run and possible World Series DH.

Edited by flavum

At least one of Viciedo/De Aza/Gillaspie/Keppinger/Dunn/Konerko has to go, and preferably two. Keppinger and ADA would be top candidates to go, in a vacuum. Keppinger because he just doesn't fill a need and doesn't look like he will in the future either, given how many right-handed and switch-hitting infielders we have near the majors. De Aza is a good player to have on the team, but he is older and ought to have trade value. Unlike Keppinger, though, you can only really trade De Aza if you get something rather useful in return. Going into the season with a 4-man outfield isn't the worst thing in the world, but right now there is simply no way to have Davidson as your starting 3B without dumping one of the infielders. Gillaspie can be useful as one of our very few LH bats, plays 3B better than Kepp, and hopefully we are trying to teach him to play 2B so he can provide some utility depth -- not to mention he is just young and cheap and has greater than zero value for us.

At least one of Viciedo/De Aza/Gillaspie/Keppinger/Dunn/Konerko has to go, and preferably two. Keppinger and ADA would be top candidates to go, in a vacuum. Keppinger because he just doesn't fill a need and doesn't look like he will in the future either, given how many right-handed and switch-hitting infielders we have near the majors. De Aza is a good player to have on the team, but he is older and ought to have trade value. Unlike Keppinger, though, you can only really trade De Aza if you get something rather useful in return. Going into the season with a 4-man outfield isn't the worst thing in the world, but right now there is simply no way to have Davidson as your starting 3B without dumping one of the infielders. Gillaspie can be useful as one of our very few LH bats, plays 3B better than Kepp, and hopefully we are trying to teach him to play 2B so he can provide some utility depth -- not to mention he is just young and cheap and has greater than zero value for us.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 10:13 AM)
Could be, but it's better just to assume it's going all the way.

Best case scenario, he puts the 44 on his back, and he has a great season for a surprise playoff Sox team.

Next best, maybe an NL team wants him for the stretch run and possible World Series DH.

Or an AL team gets tired of their DH situation and adds him as the lefty portion of that. There are a lot of possibilities.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 10:45 AM)
We have to dump an IF too. Possibly two.

Why do you feel they have to dump?

Gillaspie, Ramirez, Beckham; Keppinger on the bench

Davidson, Sanchez, Semien in AAA, Garcia playing every day and everywhere, Elmore on the bench.

I feel the same way about De Aza too. They don't HAVE to dump anybody. It'd be nice and would help clear a log jam, but I don't feel you just give them to the highest bidder if the bid is a bag of peanuts.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 10:58 AM)
Back end of the rotation could be ugly. I wouldn't mind them taking a chance on Jimenez as he'll be cheaper due to draft pick compensation, just turned 30, and has the stuff to be a front-of-the-rotation guy.

He also has had control issues in his past and could just as easily be an absolutely terrible pitcher again. I'd rather the Sox be done than have them sign anybody else at this point. They made enough noise this offseason.

Also, the back end being ugly is OK. The Sox are rebuilding this year anyways. No need to spend money just to spend.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 10:45 AM)
We have to dump an IF too. Possibly two.

Yeah I agree with wite that Semien and Davidson can start in AAA. If they force their way onto the roster, a DFA of Keppinger wouldn't be impossible. I mean, for all of our talk about how much payroll space the Sox can use on FAs, we haven't really considered that eating ~$8m to lose Keppinger probably wouldn't kill us.

What I really DON'T want is De Aza or Viciedo as 4th OFs. They both should have some actual trade value now, but a half season of part-time play will only negate that. I think the time to move one of them is now.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 10:58 AM)
Back end of the rotation could be ugly. I wouldn't mind them taking a chance on Jimenez as he'll be cheaper due to draft pick compensation, just turned 30, and has the stuff to be a front-of-the-rotation guy.

I don't think he;s going to be as affordable as we all hope.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 10:59 AM)
He also has had control issues in his past and could just as easily be an absolutely terrible pitcher again. I'd rather the Sox be done than have them sign anybody else at this point. They made enough noise this offseason.

Also, the back end being ugly is OK. The Sox are rebuilding this year anyways. No need to spend money just to spend.

I think it would be better to address the rotation this year in an effort to save money. As shown by the Tanaka pursuit, it's going to be difficult to get a true top-of-the-rotation via free-agency. If Jimenez is terrible at least he'll be relatively cheap.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 11:06 AM)
Yeah I agree with wite that Semien and Davidson can start in AAA. If they force their way onto the roster, a DFA of Keppinger wouldn't be impossible. I mean, for all of our talk about how much payroll space the Sox can use on FAs, we haven't really considered that eating ~$8m to lose Keppinger probably wouldn't kill us.

What I really DON'T want is De Aza or Viciedo as 4th OFs. They both should have some actual trade value now, but a half season of part-time play will only negate that. I think the time to move one of them is now.

Regarding De Aza and Viciedo, I do want one of them traded, and they should be able to find something, but trading them just to trade them seems wrong.

They can go into Spring Training with them. I just think it's important they trade them before the start of the season.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 11:09 AM)
I think it would be better to address the rotation this year in an effort to save money. As shown by the Tanaka pursuit, it's going to be difficult to get a true top-of-the-rotation via free-agency. If Jimenez is terrible at least he'll be relatively cheap.

They may be able to find that pitcher in the draft, or it could be someone like Chris Beck (who Hahn mentioned by name). Beck is the one arm in the system I think could truly break out, figure everything out, and become a top 20 prospect in the game. That's his ceiling. It doesn't mean it will necessarily come to fruition, but he is a guy with a very high ceiling.

For what reason? There is no reason to spend money on a free agent pitcher. They would have done it with Tanaka because he's 25. There is absolutely no reason to sign a Jimenez or Garza type so that the team can win 72-75 games. Unless the players acquired fit the long term plan, Hahn will not be making a deal. He has made this clear numerous times. The Sox are not planning on winning this season regardless of what they say publicly.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 10:09 AM)

Jimenez won't be cheap, relatively or otherwise.

There's a higher quantity of quality in next year's FA SP crop, IF we need one. Tanaka had unusual leverage and the allure of the unknown - things may not be too crazy next year.

There's a good chance we won't need a FA, imo, and we'll probably have a good idea just a few month's into the MLB/MiLB seasons who's going to emerge and if EJohnson/Paulino/Rienzo are up to holding up the back end, and if Danks is a mini-albatross, a trade chip, or something in between.

I don't think they should be in the market. I hope that's the plan.

We may not need one, though. If Jimenez was a safer bet, I'd be on board. But if we was a safer bet, he'd be a lot more expensive too.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 12:35 PM)
Padilla thinks we will sign a mid-tier pitcher FA.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/...iss-with-tanaka

Im getting this strange 2002 and 2003 vibe from the Sox right now. I can definitely see a guy like Hanson being a Loaiza.

(edit)

Looking at those offseasons reminds me of some great times on this site with the Colon/Vazquez rumors trade.

Edited by Soxbadger