Hahn's next move?

The Ultimate Champion

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 12:20 PM)
I get this whole vibe from Hawk that he doesnt want to talk about Hahn that much. He mentions him, but soxfest was the first time he seemed to willingly be positive about him in a public way

Sees him as a changing of the guard, suits-over-jocks in front offices?

When Hawk was the GM, he basically fired Dombrowski because Dombrowski didn't have a background as a player. I always wondered what he would think about Hahn considered it was rather obvious he was next in line for several years. I do get the impression that he likes and respects him.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 12:20 PM)
I get this whole vibe from Hawk that he doesnt want to talk about Hahn that much. He mentions him, but soxfest was the first time he seemed to willingly be positive about him in a public way

Sees him as a changing of the guard, suits-over-jocks in front offices?

This is a really good point.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 06:24 PM)
When Hawk was the GM, he basically fired Dombrowski because Dombrowski didn't have a background as a player. I always wondered what he would think about Hahn considered it was rather obvious he was next in line for several years. I do get the impression that he likes and respects him.

And he fired Larussa as the manager. But, it seems to me that Hawk had his hand in a good trade for us but I can't remember what it was

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 06:15 PM)
When did he say that?

And was this just his opinion or something? I'm not sure Hahn would be involving Hawk on anything "big" but I could see him saying something like "we're trying to trade Dunn and Keppinger" or "we need to clear up some roster room."

Quoted at Soxfest and it was something like Hahn is still working on a couple deals that are exciting

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 02:55 PM)
And he fired Larussa as the manager. But, it seems to me that Hawk had his hand in a good trade for us but I can't remember what it was

Tom Seaver for Steve Lyons? Wouldn't have gotten to see Pycho pull his pants down at first base.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 10, 2014 -> 05:54 PM)
Ivan Calderon.

I am a charter member of the Calderonists. We used to do the two man wave chanting III VAN in the outfield at Old Comiskey so I think that could be the best move of all time for the Sox.

• 2 weeks later...

How about this other Cuban shortstop? Aledmys Diaz? Now I know people will complain that we have depth in rhe middle infield (Semien, Sanchez, Johnson) but it doesn't hurt to have more. Plus, you could always trade depth at one position for other team's young depth (like one of those guys for a pitcher in a deep system or outfielder or catcher if there is a team deep on catching). Also throwing this out because its been really boring on here...

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Feb 20, 2014 -> 09:23 AM)
How about this other Cuban shortstop? Aledmys Diaz? Now I know people will complain that we have depth in rhe middle infield (Semien, Sanchez, Johnson) but it doesn't hurt to have more. Plus, you could always trade depth at one position for other team's young depth (like one of those guys for a pitcher in a deep system or outfielder or catcher if there is a team deep on catching). Also throwing this out because its been really boring on here...

It really depends upon the cost, and with 6-7 or more teams interested in him, I think the cost is going to be prohibitive there. Normally the Sox would be interested, but there are likely going to be better ways to get spend that money moving forward.

At this point Hahns best move is to stand pat and go forward with what he has. Let rosters shake out and see what players are jettisoned from 40 man rosters after the spring, wait for the injuries to start hitting teams, let teams find their deficiencies, and then deal players when teams start getting desperate to plug holes. The only thing that could derail that strategy is if the Sox find themselves in contention, and that would be fine too.

This is going to be a tough year for the team as a long of young guys get acclimated to playing in the majors, and I am sure we will see the threads on how our young guys suck, but this year is really about growth and learning to make adjustments.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 20, 2014 -> 09:25 AM)
It really depends upon the cost, and with 6-7 or more teams interested in him, I think the cost is going to be prohibitive there. Normally the Sox would be interested, but there are likely going to be better ways to get spend that money moving forward.

The Cardinals interest has me scratching my head a little. They just signed Peralta, traded Freese so that they could get Wong in the lineup, and now they are looking at this guy?

I think he ends up in the AL East with the Yanks or Jays with the Phillies being a sleeper.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Feb 21, 2014 -> 10:31 AM)
The Cardinals interest has me scratching my head a little. They just signed Peralta, traded Freese so that they could get Wong in the lineup, and now they are looking at this guy?

I think he ends up in the AL East with the Yanks or Jays with the Phillies being a sleeper.

I just wonder if this guy is any good. His OPS in the Cuban League dropped off about 100 points from around 800 to 700, and he led the league in errors. He has generated interest from a lot of teams, but I doubt he signs for much. He has Betancourt Jr. at best written all over him.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Feb 28, 2014 -> 10:48 AM)
Lefty reliever, Chris Jones (only 25) was released by O's today. Between AA and AAA, he had a 2.83 ERA. He could be someone to take a flyer on on a minor league deal especially since there is basically an open competition for it

We would have to trade for him and open a 40 man roster spot to keep him on. Could DFA Cleto for him, but that probably won't happen.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Feb 28, 2014 -> 11:58 AM)
We would have to trade for him and open a 40 man roster spot to keep him on. Could DFA Cleto for him, but that probably won't happen.

If he is signed to a minor league deal, I don't think they have to worry about the 40-man unless he makes the team

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 05:07 AM)
I love to see the Sox acquire Kevin Gausman from Baltimore, and I am praying to the baseball gods that Hahn can pry Gary Sanchez away from the Yankees

Even the good lawd, Jesus Allen Christ himself, whose legacy has driven millions of hapless humans to fanatic slaughter for millennia, couldn't get the Orioles to send us Kevin Gausman.

Unless you want to move Sale.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 11:35 AM)
Yeah, Guasman's stock has been down for whatever reason but the Orioles would be selling low on him for no reason. This guy should be a front end pitcher and the O's have had much better success lately in producing pitching. His change up is one of the best of any prospects. Obviously the velocity and body is there for a top 5 pick who I believe signed well over slot even as top 5 pick. People think he had a poor year but his FIP, xFIP and BABIP all show his baseline statistics don't show the true story.

People forget this guy flew threw the ranks. He was drafted in 2012 and the majority of his 36 professional games are in the MLB. My only fear if I were him is the O's making him a closer.

I have been reading the Baltimore sees as a late inning reliever. If that's the case then the Sox could probably get him for a reasonable price.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Mar 5, 2014 -> 12:26 PM)
Jon Heyman‏@JonHeymanCBS·31 mins

#chisox have gotten calls on viciedo and de aza. they are currently battling in left field.

Maybe trying to light a fire under both, but especially Tank?