Fangraphs writes up Chris Bassitt

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 08:48 PM)
Had no clue Bassit can fire it up there at 96 if need be. I thought he was following in the foot steps of Axelrod and Leesman as guys who were soft tossing guys who somehow made it through the minors with great success using smoke and mirrors.

I haven't seen him anywhere close to 96 but that was as a starter. He's definitely a solid level above Axelrod.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 07:48 PM)
Had no clue Bassit can fire it up there at 96 if need be. I thought he was following in the foot steps of Axelrod and Leesman as guys who were soft tossing guys who somehow made it through the minors with great success using smoke and mirrors.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 11:04 PM)
I haven't seen him anywhere close to 96 but that was as a starter. He's definitely a solid level above Axelrod.

AFL reports had him 91-94, T95.

He's not Axelrod at all. Very different pitcher.

The question with him is, does he stay a starter? He's said he's more comfortable as a reliever, and he was that until late 2012. They may have converted him just to take him from thrower to pitcher, like they have with other guys like Jones and Petricka. But unlike those two, Bassitt was very successful as a starter, and his secondary repertoire blossomed. Should be interesting to see what happens.

If he is a reliever, he could potentially be on the Sox sometime in 2014.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 31, 2013 -> 08:57 AM)
AFL reports had him 91-94, T95.

He's not Axelrod at all. Very different pitcher.

The question with him is, does he stay a starter? He's said he's more comfortable as a reliever, and he was that until late 2012. They may have converted him just to take him from thrower to pitcher, like they have with other guys like Jones and Petricka. But unlike those two, Bassitt was very successful as a starter, and his secondary repertoire blossomed. Should be interesting to see what happens.

If he is a reliever, he could potentially be on the Sox sometime in 2014.

If he can pop into the mid 90s regularly as a reliever, let him start in Charlotte this year but expect his long term role is the pen.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 07:48 PM)

Leesman average 90.4 MPH in the majors with his fastball. At the worst, he's an 89-92 guy, but I saw him run it up to 94 a couple times too

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 31, 2013 -> 06:24 PM)
Start him in AAA and tell him to throw changeups until his arm falls off. If he has an average change, he is suddenly an extremely compelling prospect as a starter.

Gotta believe Coop has some ideas to improve his effectiveness vs lefties, likely starting with an improved change.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Dec 31, 2013 -> 07:38 PM)
Gotta believe Coop has some ideas to improve his effectiveness vs lefties, likely starting with an improved change.

Coop pitchers have tended to opt for the cutter for that purpose in the past, since it can be easier to learn. Wouldn't shock me if he starts throwing one. Would give him a Maddux-like fastball repertoire.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 1, 2014 -> 03:05 PM)
Coop pitchers have tended to opt for the cutter for that purpose in the past, since it can be easier to learn. Wouldn't shock me if he starts throwing one. Would give him a Maddux-like fastball repertoire.

He already has a ton of lateral movement on his fastball though. Seems like a cutter would just be a worse pitch. Knowing nothing about him other than what I just read, I'd much rather see him develop something with more of a velocity drop-off. I think you're right that he needs to go balls out on learning the change.

2-seamer/cutter is really a great combo, though like you I would probably prefer changeup if I had to have him pick one. Changeups can be really difficult to learn, of course.

I don't think his cutter will automatically be bad because he throws a natural 2-seamer. I actually think it will be better, if he can throw it, because it will be such a change from the normal fastball trajectory without appearing much different out of the hand.