2014 Catch-all Anything thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 9, 2014 -> 04:15 PM)
I was surprised at how many people wanted to take a busted (but repairable) hot tub. I wasn't expecting that sort of response.

Someone came and picked it up yesterday afternoon, about 24 hours after I posted it. I had 40 or so other emails from people saying they were interested.

Speaking of random items that have value to someone:

La Grange has it's annual spring clean up day for my neighborhood today. They let you throw anything you want out on the curb (except certain items like construction material, paint, electronics, etc.) and they'll come get it for the price of three garbage stickers. The entire area throws stuff out starting last night and for 6-8 hours there are beat up and modified trucks and vans strolling the streets, loading up trash that people had thrown out.

I had sitting in my basement 3 tube tv's, a broken 55 inch LCD, a broken LCD monitor and a bunch of other random dvd players and old tivo's that i've been hanging on to for the last few years, mainly because I didn't know how to get rid of them/where to take them. I decided last night to just set them out on the curb to see if anyone would grab them. Sure enough, as i'm carrying a TV down to the curb, this mexican dude and his wife and 4-5 year old daughter stroll up and take everything. The dude (who spoke 2 words of english) had a reaction on his face like he had just won the lottery when he saw the LCD TV. I tried to explain that the tube tv's were fine, but the lcd's didn't work. But either he didn't understand me or didn't care. He kept saying something to his wife with this huge smile on his face.

While I love the clean-up day and the ability to get rid of random stuff for basically nothing, the whole thing made my wife and I feel weird. One man's garbage is another man's treasure was true. All night long we had random vehicles stop in front of our house to literally dig through trash to find something of "value," while we had determined those items had no value to us. I can sort of understand picking through stuff to find metal that you can sell. But these people were taking nearly everything.

'Merica!

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 10, 2014 -> 09:21 AM)
Speaking of random items that have value to someone:

La Grange has it's annual spring clean up day for my neighborhood today. They let you throw anything you want out on the curb (except certain items like construction material, paint, electronics, etc.) and they'll come get it for the price of three garbage stickers. The entire area throws stuff out starting last night and for 6-8 hours there are beat up and modified trucks and vans strolling the streets, loading up trash that people had thrown out.

I had sitting in my basement 3 tube tv's, a broken 55 inch LCD, a broken LCD monitor and a bunch of other random dvd players and old tivo's that i've been hanging on to for the last few years, mainly because I didn't know how to get rid of them/where to take them. I decided last night to just set them out on the curb to see if anyone would grab them. Sure enough, as i'm carrying a TV down to the curb, this mexican dude and his wife and 4-5 year old daughter stroll up and take everything. The dude (who spoke 2 words of english) had a reaction on his face like he had just won the lottery when he saw the LCD TV. I tried to explain that the tube tv's were fine, but the lcd's didn't work. But either he didn't understand me or didn't care. He kept saying something to his wife with this huge smile on his face.

While I love the clean-up day and the ability to get rid of random stuff for basically nothing, the whole thing made my wife and I feel weird. One man's garbage is another man's treasure was true. All night long we had random vehicles stop in front of our house to literally dig through trash to find something of "value," while we had determined those items had no value to us. I can sort of understand picking through stuff to find metal that you can sell. But these people were taking nearly everything.

'Merica!

I've put plenty of things out to the curb with the absolute knowledge that somebody would pick them up before the garbage truck came along the next day. Mostly it was stuff that still had some good use left in it but I just didn't want/need it anymore and didn't want the hassle of taking it anywhere.

I got rid of a lot of my kids old plastic yard toys that way. A plastic teeter-totter, a plastic house, etc...

Although I think a few of them were things that I picked up off someone else's curb years before. :)

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 08:04 AM)
I completely forgot that my signature has the Tadahito Iguchi fan club stuff in it until someone just asked me to join. That's what I get for turning off signatures.

You may remove me from the club.

You have to wonder what the heck was going on with the person running that twitter feed at that time. It isnt like you can "whoops" post a picture. You have to select it, it shows you what is selected, then you post it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 01:06 PM)
You have to wonder what the heck was going on with the person running that twitter feed at that time. It isnt like you can "whoops" post a picture. You have to select it, it shows you what is selected, then you post it.

I think it's highly likely someone either copy and pasted the wrong URL and wasnt paying attention. Or, they had the pic on their machine and uploaded the wrong file.