2014 Catch-all Anything thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That seems like a very light sentence. $4,500 and a few months suspension? (I see that it was extended, but originally it wasn't very long)

That's lighter than drunk driving and she actually hit and almost paralyzed a man. I would have expected some sort of jail time even if it was suspended.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 11:30 AM)
It happened in Australia FWIW

That makes more sense... For some reason I thought it happened here but she was Australian... Guess that's what I get for not reading the original report, and just the Huffington Post website.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 11:33 AM)
That makes more sense... For some reason I thought it happened here but she was Australian... Guess that's what I get for not reading the original report, and just the Huffington Post website.

Yeah, they say she's from Port Fairy, but fail to say that Port Fairy is in Australia. The date on the court document being dd/mm/yyyy gave away that it wasn't US, though.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 09:32 AM)
Even people from Illinois don't think much of Illinois.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/which-sta...dium=socialflow

I'm surprised it's that low to be honest. I bet I could poll the people I know and 75% would say Illinois blows and if they could they would leave in a heartbeat.

Yeah, Illinois people tend to be pretty pessimistic. Illinois is easily the best place to live of all the surrounding states, at least, and the funny thing is that most of the people who say Illinois is one of the worst places would also say that they'd never live in those surrounding states (or the South).

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 01:05 PM)
Yeah, Illinois people tend to be pretty pessimistic. Illinois is easily the best place to live of all the surrounding states, at least, and the funny thing is that most of the people who say Illinois is one of the worst places would also say that they'd never live in those surrounding states (or the South).

I would leave this place for Texas, Missouri, Arizona, Tennessee or Montana, but wife won't go. She MIGHT accept Missouri, but not at this moment.

I guess that depends on whether or not your definition of "best place to live" is impacted by tax rates, government corruption, or cost of living.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 03:04 PM)
I would leave this place for Texas, Missouri, Arizona, Tennessee or Montana, but wife won't go. She MIGHT accept Missouri, but not at this moment.

Having lived in Missouri the past three years, I'd advise you to reconsider.

Missouri?

I'm job hunting in IA (near Iowa City) for jobs. We're trying to move to Iowa in the next year or so.

PS: Anyone have any leads on desktop support IT positions near Iowa City?

Thats right...http://www.forbes.com/sites/robasghar/2014/04/14/fall-of-the-grammar-snobs-how-typos-became-okay/

And while we’ve been judging 13-year-olds for writing “your” instead of “you’re,” those teens are developing a capacity to speak in a language that’s probably superior to ours.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 04:53 PM)
I'm job hunting in IA (near Iowa City) for jobs. We're trying to move to Iowa in the next year or so.

PS: Anyone have any leads on desktop support IT positions near Iowa City?

Got one in Lombard!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 09:31 PM)
Got one in Lombard!

Tempting, believe me, I'd love to get out of my current job.

But, my wife's grandmother recently died and we're trying to move out there and buy her estate (to keep it in the family). 15 acres of mostly unfarmable land and a farm house.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 07:49 AM)
Tempting, believe me, I'd love to get out of my current job.

But, my wife's grandmother recently died and we're trying to move out there and buy her estate (to keep it in the family). 15 acres of mostly unfarmable land and a farm house.

Sorry to hear about her grandmother. Also - you sure you want to do that?