2014 Catch-all Anything thread

Kyyle23

Spent all of last week in California. San Diego, then drove to Los Angeles. That route was nice.

Not a fan of Californians. They all smoke and apparently half of them are homeless. San Diego is pretty darn nice - stayed at the Hyatt and the Sheraton. Los Angeles and the surrounding areas are mostly a s***hole.

Good thing we walked Runyon Canyon Trail, went to the Grove, and did Disneyland, so we avoided for the most part the s*** of Los Angeles. We stayed at the Loews Hollywood which was super nice.

Oh, and I read mostly bad reviews about Fox Rent-A-Car, but my experience was great. Quoted on Expedia like $574 for 4 days for Hertz, and $171 for Fox. Rolled the dice regardless of the reviews with that difference. Got a 2014 Chevy Cruze (funny, since we own one, felt at home), it was in great condition. No wait pickup in San Diego or drop off in LA. Very pleased.

Edited by Steve9347

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not knowing much about CA, I've always thought about what it might be like to live there. A big turn-off is that my impression is that not many of the metros in CA are at all walkable/easily navigated via public transit. One of the big things I've always wanted to have in a potential "dream destination" is the ability to liberate myself from the need to drive everywhere.

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 12:57 PM)
Not knowing much about CA, I've always thought about what it might be like to live there. A big turn-off is that my impression is that not many of the metros in CA are at all walkable/easily navigated via public transit. One of the big things I've always wanted to have in a potential "dream destination" is the ability to liberate myself from the need to drive everywhere.

San Fran is solid for public transit. LA is a car based city where you can sometimes get places on the bus/rail if you plan for it before you move there.

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 11:57 AM)

the trick is to live as a recluse in a shack somewhere in the Sierra Nevadas.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 10:21 AM)
San Fran is solid for public transit. LA is a car based city where you can sometimes get places on the bus/rail if you plan for it before you move there.

But in reality, the public transportation in Southern California isn't that reliable, accessible nor is it as safe as mass transit in some of the other big cities, imo. I have no statistics to back this up, just my personal perception of the situation.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 22, 2014 -> 02:43 PM)
But in reality, the public transportation in Southern California isn't that reliable, accessible nor is it as safe as mass transit in some of the other big cities, imo. I have no statistics to back this up, just my personal perception of the situation.

I'd call that a completely accurate version of my statement and agree with it.

No people on board, heavy damage to the launch pad, nearby facility evacuated, infrared weather satellites and doppler radar caught the explosion, rocket was carrying supplies and science experiments to the ISS, there are other supply options but the science experiments will be a significant cost loss.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 28, 2014 -> 06:28 PM)
science experiments

Tom: It's a lovely day for a launch, here, live at Cape Canaveral, at

the lower end of the Florida Peninsula, and the purpose of

today's mission is truly, really electrifying.

Man 2: That's correct, Tom. The lion's share of this flight will be

devoted to the study of the effects of weightlessness on tiny

screws.

Tom: Unbelievable, and just imagine the logistics of weightlessness.

And of course, this could have literally millions of applications

here on Earth -- everything from watchmaking to watch repair.

Is anyone interested or intrigued by Wallenda's walk across the Chicago River this weekend? I am not hearing that much pub about it. I would love to go downtown and check it out, but will likely just tune in.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 09:16 AM)
Is anyone interested or intrigued by Wallenda's walk across the Chicago River this weekend? I am not hearing that much pub about it. I would love to go downtown and check it out, but will likely just tune in.

Good thing he didn't have it scheduled for today

QUOTE (farmteam @ Nov 3, 2014 -> 07:38 AM)
Fire in Prospect Heights/Arlington Heights this morning. The 14 year old son is still missing. Just awful.

The son was found and is being charged with arson

this was from September, I doubt October numbers are in. I think Hickory Huskers works for BLS and might be able to help you out.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/cpi.pdf

I'm far too early in the sausage-making process to have any insight as to what the numbers will be before they are released, but the October numbers should be released Friday morning.

I meant more pointing him in the right direction

anyway this seems like the key takeaway:

The all items index increased 1.7 percent over the last 12 months, the same increase as for the 12 months

ending August. The 12-month change in the index for all items less food and energy also remained at 1.7

percent.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 5, 2014 -> 10:18 AM)
I meant more pointing him in the right direction

anyway this seems like the key takeaway:

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. My contract says the annual increase can be the increase of CPI or 5%, whichever is higher. I don't think 15% fits in either category.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. My contract says the annual increase can be the increase of CPI or 5%, whichever is higher. I don't think 15% fits in either category.

No, definitely not over 5%. You would most certainly notice if the CPI went up more than 5% in one year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 5, 2014 -> 10:37 AM)

Just like with any floating rate contract of any kind, you should always very specifically state the exact index to use, the date of index rate, period of effect and location of publication.

For example on a floating rate mortgage, you'd see something like "The interest for the following full year will be the 1-month LIBOR rate at close of business on November 1st as published in the Such and Such newspaper". That way there is zero ambiguity.