2014 Catch-all Anything thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 06:32 PM)
Ha, I finally ditched my AOL email, that I had since 98, last summer.

It's not easy switching emails these days. Have to go change it under all your accounts and junk.

When we're hiring and looking at resumes, I immediately judge someone poorly if they're still using an aol email address....

:ph34r:

QUOTE (SnB @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 06:07 AM)
When we're hiring and looking at resumes, I immediately judge someone poorly if they're still using an aol email address....

:ph34r:

Agreed, actually. Honestly, anything not gmail gets judged quite quickly.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 11:43 AM)
Could anyone who's taken the GRE give me a rough prep time estimate? Is 3 months adequate?

Depends where you're starting from, of course. With that said, I'd say regardless of starting point, after 3 months you're looking at seriously diminishing returns. Feel free to PM me if you want any other thoughts/advice

I'm just starting to look into going back for my masters in engineering. The couple of places I've looked just say "GRE required" but don't specify subject.

I took the Professional Engineer licensure exam last fall, so I'm pretty comfortable with the whole studying process and with my quantitative skills. I know for that exam, most people recommended 150-300 hours of prep.

I'm just starting to look into going back for my masters in engineering. The couple of places I've looked just say "GRE required" but don't specify subject.

I took the Professional Engineer licensure exam last fall, so I'm pretty comfortable with the whole studying process and with my quantitative skills. I know for that exam, most people recommended 150-300 hours of prep.

That is about 149.75-299.75 more hours than you need to prep for the general GRE.

Well that's good to hear. I was hoping it wasn't as brutal as "relearn all of undergrad and then some." I really need to knock the GRE out of the park because my undergrad GPA isn't exactly stellar.

Now, I took the GRE 19 years ago, so it may very well have changed since then. The GRE verbal was about 10% harder than the SAT verbal. The GRE math was no higher than a precalculus level.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 01:13 PM)
Well that's good to hear. I was hoping it wasn't as brutal as "relearn all of undergrad and then some." I really need to knock the GRE out of the park because my undergrad GPA isn't exactly stellar.

I got 163V/161Q/5AW with only moderate prep. I basically invested no time in prepping for the verbal part. At the time, I had taken nothing remotely mathematics-related since HS so I devoted some time relearning some pre-calculus to prepare for the quant portion. Spending a couple of hours learning about what they look for on the writing would be worthwhile. My feeling on the verbal is beyond familiarizing yourself with the sort of question format they have, you can't really prepare. You're not going to study your way into meaningfully improving your reading comprehension. Trying to improve your vocabulary is not going to pay off for the time required to do so.

What I'd suggest as a starting point is to utilize one or more of the free practice tests provided by ETS online to assess where you're at. If you're close to your desired score on those tests, you definitely don't need to freak out. If you're a little sub-standard, you might want to buy a prep book (preferably one that comes with practice tests so you can retest and continue to assess where you are).

There are few things more disturbing than reading the stuff college freshmen turn in for a first-year writing class. Good god, are they awful at writing. And this is at a relatively selective school: the 25th-75th percentile ACT scores are 27-31, 95% were in top quarter of HS class, 65% were in top ten percent of HS class.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 8, 2014 -> 09:32 AM)
There are few things more disturbing than reading the stuff college freshmen turn in for a first-year writing class. Good god, are they awful at writing. And this is at a relatively selective school: the 25th-75th percentile ACT scores are 27-31, 95% were in top quarter of HS class, 65% were in top ten percent of HS class.

I don't think it changes much as they get older. I know I never once proofread a paper, and I always got A's at a similarly selective school. Of course, I never had to take anything beyond the 200 level which required me to write a paper, so maybe they do get better as upperclassmen.

Has anyone ever been scammed on Etsy before? My fiance ordered some purses or something and the woman stopped responding and hasn't shipped them weeks after she was supposed to. Money was already paid and everything. Just wondering if anyone's been through this and knows the best course of action. It wasn't a ton of money but it was over $100 so it'd be nice to get back if possilbe

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)
Has anyone ever been scammed on Etsy before? My fiance ordered some purses or something and the woman stopped responding and hasn't shipped them weeks after she was supposed to. Money was already paid and everything. Just wondering if anyone's been through this and knows the best course of action. It wasn't a ton of money but it was over $100 so it'd be nice to get back if possilbe

Check with Paypal (if you used them) and Etsy for your recourse.