2014 Catch-all Anything thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 08:54 AM)
Has anyone seem what happened in Peshawar overnight? Just awful. Seeing things like that just reaffirms how lucky we are to live where we do in relation to other parts of the world.

Yeah, and I always follow what goes in Nigeria, it's just awful, people can't even attempt to live a normal life.

Wife brag: as of this very moment, my wife is now a college graduate! She has completed an associate's degree in respiratory therapy. Just judging from everybody's posts, I suspect that nearly all of us who have college degrees were fortunate enough to be able to obtain them before acquiring the responsibilities of a spouse and/or children (myself included). My wife started this process when our children were 3 and 2. I don't think I have the discipline required to be able to get a degree under those circumstances.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 09:16 AM)
Wife brag: as of this very moment, my wife is now a college graduate! She has completed an associate's degree in respiratory therapy. Just judging from everybody's posts, I suspect that nearly all of us who have college degrees were fortunate enough to be able to obtain them before acquiring the responsibilities of a spouse and/or children (myself included). My wife started this process when our children were 3 and 2. I don't think I have the discipline required to be able to get a degree under those circumstances.

I remember my dad worked on his doctorate while we were growing up despite having a job at IBM that required travel, loads of overtime and a two year stay in Germany. Must have taken him 8 years to do what it could have taken 2-3. Doing any sort of education post-spouse and children is incredibly difficult

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 08:16 AM)

That is pretty awesome.

Very cool. I am living this right now myself and its not easy but its worth it for some many reasons.

QUOTE (shipps @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 11:13 AM)
Very cool. I am living this right now myself and its not easy but its worth it for some many reasons.

For both you and Hickory's wife, it is awesome and said another way, it is also a tremendous influence on your families and kids. As a parent, being able to be that role model from a hard work, dedication perspective, being their to help your kids, etc. is all crucial, but I also think it is critical when they look up and see that you have taken great strides to educate yourself, work hard, constantly strive to do your best as well as see how you treat other people (with respect, etc).

That's awesome man. I have a ton of respect for anyone that can juggle going back to school with the responsibilities of being an adult. It's something I could never do.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 01:28 PM)
For both you and Hickory's wife, it is awesome and said another way, it is also a tremendous influence on your families and kids. As a parent, being able to be that role model from a hard work, dedication perspective, being their to help your kids, etc. is all crucial, but I also think it is critical when they look up and see that you have taken great strides to educate yourself, work hard, constantly strive to do your best as well as see how you treat other people (with respect, etc).

Thank you Jas. You have given me the unintentional pep talk that I needed with this. Its easy to loose perspective sometimes.