2014 Catch-all Anything thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 12, 2014 -> 06:42 PM)
Jesus, this made me physically uncomfortable:

Fair effs to them. The aul' Russians seem mad for a bit of climbing high stuff. Some of the videos out there are mental.

I'm surprised these two didn't start swinging off it when they were at the very top.

You'd get sweaty hands just watching that.

Microsoft's stuff is probably sufficient, but is no longer best. Your best free option is Avast, though I admit they soured me when they made it a huge pain in the ass to cancel the auto-renewal for a free trial.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 12, 2014 -> 05:20 PM)
Thanks, guys. You're all tops in my book.

Now, if I want to transfer the music from my iPod to the new computer, is there a free way to do that? The last time I did this, I used Xilisoft and it came with a fee.

It's a pain in the ass, but yes.

Go to the Control Panel settings and make sure "Show hidden folders" is checked.

Plug in iPod.

Find the music folder. In it will be a lot of folders titled F01, F02, F03 and so on and so forth.

Copy ALL of those files to your PC.

Then, drag the mass of folders to iTunes.

Boom. Done.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 12, 2014 -> 08:53 PM)
It's a pain in the ass, but yes.

Go to the Control Panel settings and make sure "Show hidden folders" is checked.

Plug in iPod.

Find the music folder. In it will be a lot of folders titled F01, F02, F03 and so on and so forth.

Copy ALL of those files to your PC.

Then, drag the mass of folders to iTunes.

Boom. Done.

Thanks, pal. I appreciate it.

Is there a way that a business can test for probability of a sinkhole opening up? I know in Florida a lot of it has to do with the fact that it is sitting on a bed of limestone, but i wonder if this Corvette museum could have possibly known something like this could have happened to them. And is there any prevantive measures that could have been taken?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 10:11 AM)
Is there a way that a business can test for probability of a sinkhole opening up? I know in Florida a lot of it has to do with the fact that it is sitting on a bed of limestone, but i wonder if this Corvette museum could have possibly known something like this could have happened to them. And is there any prevantive measures that could have been taken?

There are techniques which can be used to detect subsurface caves that can be deployed before construction. A full ground-penetrating-radar study of the entire area on which you're building the facility could probably do it...but that's not cheap and frankly the losses are probably going to be covered by some sort of insurance policy whether you do so or not. Furthermore, it would have to be done before construction, and this museum has been on that location for decades now.

Furthermore, the building of a facility could potentially disrupt groundwater flow patterns enough to, decades down the line, lead to sinkhole production in some areas that were otherwise stable beforehand.

Science is getting better at detecting possible sinkhole locations from space before construction takes place, but it's never going to be 100% predictive of sinkhole formation, particularly years down the line.

If you, however, know that you have a facility sitting on top of a potential collapse site, you could certainly add supports to the floor and foundation to provide some protection...but again, $.

There are techniques which can be used to detect subsurface caves that can be deployed before construction. A full ground-penetrating-radar study of the entire area on which you're building the facility could probably do it...but that's not cheap and frankly the losses are probably going to be covered by some sort of insurance policy whether you do so or not. Furthermore, it would have to be done before construction, and this museum has been on that location for decades now.

Furthermore, the building of a facility could potentially disrupt groundwater flow patterns enough to, decades down the line, lead to sinkhole production in some areas that were otherwise stable beforehand.

Science is getting better at detecting possible sinkhole locations from space before construction takes place, but it's never going to be 100% predictive of sinkhole formation, particularly years down the line.

If you, however, know that you have a facility sitting on top of a potential collapse site, you could certainly add supports to the floor and foundation to provide some protection...but again, $.

They do have sinkhole insurance, but some of those cars are irreplaceable. You can't just take the insurance money and go buy them all again. There's only one "millionth Corvette made".

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 12, 2014 -> 03:35 PM)
Tip of the day: Don't build a museum for expensive cars in an area with lots of caves.

I went to that museum 5 or 6 years ago and remember standing in that room. I think I have pictures of it somewhere.

We did visit a few caves while we were down there as well.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 10:29 AM)
I went to that museum 5 or 6 years ago and remember standing in that room. I think I have pictures of it somewhere.

We did visit a few caves while we were down there as well.

Should have waited. Could have killed two birds with one stone.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 12, 2014 -> 04:32 PM)
in ground or portable basketball hoop?

I always like having a portable one growing up because we could roll it onto the street when wanting to play larger games, rather than just shooting around or playing 1 on 1. I also liked the capability of lowering it and dunking on the 9' rim. I think if you're pretty set on where you want it, then an in-ground one would be fine. But if you ever think you might remodel your house/garage/yard/etc and it might interfere with where you are currently planning to locate the goal, then having a moveable one is nice.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)
I always like having a portable one growing up because we could roll it onto the street when wanting to play larger games, rather than just shooting around or playing 1 on 1. I also liked the capability of lowering it and dunking on the 9' rim. I think if you're pretty set on where you want it, then an in-ground one would be fine. But if you ever think you might remodel your house/garage/yard/etc and it might interfere with where you are currently planning to locate the goal, then having a moveable one is nice.

Cool, thanks dude.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 02:00 PM)

Ditto. I would say, in ground baskets are much nicer as a whole but their is convenience with having the portable ones. You can lower the in ground ones as well to dunk on.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 10:56 AM)
Ditto. I would say, in ground baskets are much nicer as a whole but their is convenience with having the portable ones. You can lower the in ground ones as well to dunk on.

Makes sense. The people I knew who had in-ground ones all had stationary backboards, so I wasn't sure. But I figured they probably made them like that.