2014 Films Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got around to seeing Guardians of the Galaxy. It's definitely right there at the top Marvel movie-wise.

Urgently need to go see the new Sin City, because I've been ready for multiple sequels since about 7 seconds into Jessica Alba's Kadie's Bar scene from the first one (and I thought it was a great movie in general). I've not heard anything about it yet, and I'm a bit worried that Guardians of the Galaxy will steal it's thunder if I see it too soon. Probably next Friday...

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 09:37 AM)
Finally got around to seeing Guardians of the Galaxy. It's definitely right there at the top Marvel movie-wise.

Urgently need to go see the new Sin City, because I've been ready for multiple sequels since about 7 seconds into Jessica Alba's Kadie's Bar scene from the first one (and I thought it was a great movie in general). I've not heard anything about it yet, and I'm a bit worried that Guardians of the Galaxy will steal it's thunder if I see it too soon. Probably next Friday...

See, I think the Carla Gugino scene is the winner in that movie. She is absolutely perfect

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 01:47 PM)
Since people seem to really enjoy The Purge 2, I decided to finally watch the first one. I really liked the premise of it, but man it was a bad movie. Terrible, illogical motives and predictable plot points. I hope the 2nd one is as good as I've heard.

The first one has more name actors...Ethan Hawke, especially.

The second one, the most recognizable guy is Frank Grillo from Transformers 4 and maybe he was in GI Joe?

At any rate, the premise of Purge 2 is much more compelling...and yeah, that the supposedly impregnable security is so easily defeated, and then the "random dangerous minority dude introduced into random white suburb angle" was too predictable, both in its inclusion and conclusion.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 05:17 PM)
The first one has more name actors...Ethan Hawke, especially.

The second one, the most recognizable guy is Frank Grillo from Transformers 4 and maybe he was in GI Joe?

At any rate, the premise of Purge 2 is much more compelling...and yeah, that the supposedly impregnable security is so easily defeated, and then the "random dangerous minority dude introduced into random white suburb angle" was too predictable, both in its inclusion and conclusion.

Couple things that bothered me in the first one.....

Why is the boy choosing this stranger over his family? I get his initial motive to let the guy in the house, but then once it became apparent that it was either him or them, the kid still decided to help the random guy out. They didn't give the kid any reason for his motives to hate his parents.

Why does the sister keep running off and disappearing? These kids aren't 4 or 5 years old. The older sister especially should understand the gravity of the situation.

What is the purpose of the boyfriend even existing in this movie? He is dead within 10 minutes and has nothing to do with the black guy entering the house, or the purgers finding the house. He serves no purpose other than to upset the daughter.

The whole "It's either he dies, or we die" struggle with the black dude, then once the black dude agrees to die, the dad says "Nah, f*** it, let's put our lives on the line for you."

The purgers said they wanted the black guy ALIVE. Yet the dad tells his wife to stab the letter opener in to his wounds a few times to get him to cooperate. Uhhh....how about you hit in in the face a few times? Smash his hand? Do something that won't put his life at even more risk.

So the purgers appear to rip down some sort of gate in front of the front of the house. Why does this then disengage all the sealed windows? Right after they rip the gate off, people start crawling in through side windows. How does that make sense?

The neighbors come in, slaughter everyone, and then decide to kill the family themselves? Why put themselves in danger? Why not just let the purgers murder the family? It's not like it makes a difference in the family knows that the neighbors hate them right before they are killed.

The way way way too predictable ending where the black guy who has been missing for a half hour and has been bleeding out, comes in and saves the day, kicking everyone's ass, and then immediately goes back to being severely injured and dying. Oh, well this is actually hours later once they wait for 7 am to come. So this black guy is bleeding out for about 10 hours or so?

That's all I can think of right now. Just a terrible, terrible execution on what I really thought was a cool and fun premise.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 02:21 PM)
so the WWE financed "Leprechaun: Origins" got a 0.9 rating from IGN. quite an amusing review, im curious where this turd in a punchbowl ends up on rotten tomatoes

It'll still somehow make them money though.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 26, 2014 -> 11:08 PM)
Couple things that bothered me in the first one.....

Why is the boy choosing this stranger over his family? I get his initial motive to let the guy in the house, but then once it became apparent that it was either him or them, the kid still decided to help the random guy out. They didn't give the kid any reason for his motives to hate his parents.

Why does the sister keep running off and disappearing? These kids aren't 4 or 5 years old. The older sister especially should understand the gravity of the situation.

What is the purpose of the boyfriend even existing in this movie? He is dead within 10 minutes and has nothing to do with the black guy entering the house, or the purgers finding the house. He serves no purpose other than to upset the daughter.

The whole "It's either he dies, or we die" struggle with the black dude, then once the black dude agrees to die, the dad says "Nah, f*** it, let's put our lives on the line for you."

The purgers said they wanted the black guy ALIVE. Yet the dad tells his wife to stab the letter opener in to his wounds a few times to get him to cooperate. Uhhh....how about you hit in in the face a few times? Smash his hand? Do something that won't put his life at even more risk.

So the purgers appear to rip down some sort of gate in front of the front of the house. Why does this then disengage all the sealed windows? Right after they rip the gate off, people start crawling in through side windows. How does that make sense?

The neighbors come in, slaughter everyone, and then decide to kill the family themselves? Why put themselves in danger? Why not just let the purgers murder the family? It's not like it makes a difference in the family knows that the neighbors hate them right before they are killed.

The way way way too predictable ending where the black guy who has been missing for a half hour and has been bleeding out, comes in and saves the day, kicking everyone's ass, and then immediately goes back to being severely injured and dying. Oh, well this is actually hours later once they wait for 7 am to come. So this black guy is bleeding out for about 10 hours or so?

That's all I can think of right now. Just a terrible, terrible execution on what I really thought was a cool and fun premise.

You have one hour to give us the black guy. We're going to get our top secret, super purge weapon that will destroy your impenetrable security system.

It's a pickup truck.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 02:35 PM)
Anyone watch Nymphomaniac? Or at least part 1? It's on Netflix. I'm sort of interesting, but I'll feel like a big perv if I watch it.

Ha. I'm the same way. Von Trier is just too out there for me though.

The rumors of moviegoing’s death have been greatly exaggerated before: When TV was invented, when the VHS player became ubiquitous, and most recently with the advent of the Internet. But as an art form, the theatrical film has surely shrunk with age. Since theatergoing, replete with popcorn and fanboys cheering at screens, is one of the few easily accessible communal experiences we still have left in our digitally balkanized age, that would be a shame. Could it one day become merely an elitist’s pastime — an experience for the aficionado, like opera or ballet? Love them or leave them, movies like Guardians of the Galaxy and X-Men: Days of Future Past are what keep that outcome at bay.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/...-of-the-galaxy/

Grantland write up about how awful this movie summer is. Who woulda thought comic book movies would be what ultimately are keeping this afloat right now?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 1, 2014 -> 10:03 PM)

Grantland write up about how awful this movie summer is. Who woulda thought comic book movies would be what ultimately are keeping this afloat right now?

Guess he didn't watch BOYHOOD.

At any rate, Nymphomaniac 1 is actually quite good, and not exactly what you're expecting. It's a lot less salacious than, say, Spring Breakers or the latest Sin City.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 1, 2014 -> 11:03 PM)

They're right. This summer has been awful. The smaller titles like Chef and Boyhood are way better than any of the big money makers to me.

Next year is the 2014 NBA draft of blockbusters though.

Saw "Life Itself". Great documentary. Steve James could be the best documentary filmmaker ever.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 05:03 AM)

thanks for getting the article by grantland.

I go to movies a lot. the reason I will save, personal. but movies this summer with the exception

of the marvel theme really sucked. there were marvel and then the anime movies, with very little

on good movies. I know its all about $$$$. max money for profit level.

look at "if I stay", the fault in our stars (something like that), and other movies like that. it was

low cost to make yet they max out on the profit. how bout those movies that they are regurgitating

and hope they will become a hit. the movie Fright Night is one that comes to mind. movies like Ideal

husband with no action but smart dialog bomb but it was a great movie.

either way >>> what the hell do I know.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 1, 2014 -> 11:46 PM)
Guess he didn't watch BOYHOOD.

At any rate, Nymphomaniac 1 is actually quite good, and not exactly what you're expecting. It's a lot less salacious than, say, Spring Breakers or the latest Sin City.

Boyhood's gross is $28M. The point is that comic book movies are keeping Hollywood in business in terms of dollars.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 07:47 AM)
Boyhood's gross is $28M. The point is that comic book movies are keeping Hollywood in business in terms of dollars.

Well, yes and no.

The Lego Movie, Maleficent, Planet of the Apes, 22 Jump Street, How to Train Your Dragon 2, TMNinja Turtles, Divergent, Neighbors, The Fault in Our Stars and Lucy have helped a lot too.

So basically, Michael Bay, Scarlett Johannson, Angelina Jolie, Andy Serkis, Shailene Woodley and Rogen/Apatow comedies.

Although some would argue that Lucy is basically a superhero type of character.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 3, 2014 -> 09:58 AM)
Ghostbusters has been re released in theatres. Never saw it on big screen. Just as a kid on VHS. Nothing else out looks good.

Saw it Monday night at the movies. Pretty nice.