2014 Video game thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I got royally screwed over yesterday in MLB The Show...

Base runner on first steals, guy at the plate swings and misses, but his momentum carries him over the plate and he literally blocks my catcher's throw to second. No interference is called, the ball rolls away and the runner goes from first to third.

I've never really encountered an interference or obstruction call in the Show before, but it appears such calls don't exist...

I'm not impressed by Watch Dogs in the least. Hold square and hack things, boom, entire game. The driving is brutal, you can't go from GTA 5 to this. It's inferior in every way, including graphics, despite being on the "next gen".

Hold on, I need to hold square to hack something that just popped into my line of sight.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 28, 2014 -> 06:56 AM)
I'm not impressed by Watch Dogs in the least. Hold square and hack things, boom, entire game. The driving is brutal, you can't go from GTA 5 to this. It's inferior in every way, including graphics, despite being on the "next gen".

Hold on, I need to hold square to hack something that just popped into my line of sight.

It's very different than GTA. I've done missions where I've barely had to shoot people. You get a choice of stealth or going in guns-blazing, which I like.

And while the hacking is simple, what did you want it to be? You can't possibly hack things during a car chase with something more complicated and have it still be playable.

Things that are annoying with the game:

1) You can't shoot out of your window in a car, this leads to some horrible car chases. I usually have to end up running the guy I'm trying to kill over.

2) The collision physics are total garbage, but it does make the driving much more forgiving.

3) Getting interrupted with online hacking while you're about to go to a campaign mission is fairly annoying.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 28, 2014 -> 10:32 AM)
It's very different than GTA. I've done missions where I've barely had to shoot people. You get a choice of stealth or going in guns-blazing, which I like.

And while the hacking is simple, what did you want it to be? You can't possibly hack things during a car chase with something more complicated and have it still be playable.

Things that are annoying with the game:

1) You can't shoot out of your window in a car, this leads to some horrible car chases. I usually have to end up running the guy I'm trying to kill over.

2) The collision physics are total garbage, but it does make the driving much more forgiving.

3) Getting interrupted with online hacking while you're about to go to a campaign mission is fairly annoying.

Yeah, I don't see why people would want complex button hacking when driving around through the city. Hitting square for everything is fine.

And you can turn off the online hacking thing so no one will ever jump in to your game.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 27, 2014 -> 03:19 PM)
Online Franchise in The Show is pretty fun. I like having my friends give me scouting reports on certain teams and telling me about who is dominating our league.

I drafted Billy Hamilton to my team, and have 8 SB through 4 games.....Ooooh yeah. Too bad I walk the world using Quick Counts.

I've got billy Hamilton on my team too. Auto triple if he gets on 1st.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 28, 2014 -> 06:57 AM)
Also, aside from the Chicago River, Willis Tower, and the John Hancock, it's a fairly unrecognizable version of the city. Hey! The map says I'm in Rogers Park... This doesn't look like Rogers Park...

That's not exactly a reasonable complaint over a video game. The effort it would take for a street for street portion of a city to be remade is simply not realistic and only Chicagoans are going to complain so it's not worth the extra effort for them.

The driving is pretty bad though. Why they mapped brake and reverse to the same button is beyond me.

I do love the hacking idea and what it opens up. I will happily sink tons of hours into this game.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 29, 2014 -> 02:11 AM)
That's not exactly a reasonable complaint over a video game. The effort it would take for a street for street portion of a city to be remade is simply not realistic and only Chicagoans are going to complain so it's not worth the extra effort for them.

The driving is pretty bad though. Why they mapped brake and reverse to the same button is beyond me.

I do love the hacking idea and what it opens up. I will happily sink tons of hours into this game.

Isn't GTA the same way?

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 29, 2014 -> 09:51 AM)
Isn't GTA the same way?

As far as brake and reverse, I think so, yes. But GTA has much better driving physics.

But still, the driving being "different" than GTA is no reason for me to think this game sucks, or to stop playing. I mean, I realize driving wasn't a main component of Far Cry 3, but those driving mechanics were just horrible, and it's still one of the best games of last gen.

Since Watch Dogs sounds like a bust (maybe I'll get it at $20-25), I decided to buy the Last of Us expansion DLC, Left Behind. Anyone else play it? Only a couple hours in, but it's very reminiscent of the original game, which is a good thing. I got sucked back into that world pretty quickly.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 30, 2014 -> 11:13 AM)
Since Watch Dogs sounds like a bust (maybe I'll get it at $20-25), I decided to buy the Last of Us expansion DLC, Left Behind. Anyone else play it? Only a couple hours in, but it's very reminiscent of the original game, which is a good thing. I got sucked back into that world pretty quickly.

Left Behind is very good. After the original game I wasn't sure I wanted to see a sequel or anything else, but seeing the DLC flesh out some other story details I definitely want more. I only hope a sequel could be as good because that's a tough act to follow. If you're a couple hours into the DLC you should be about done though.

Don't let the internet hate on Watchdogs turn you off. It's a fun game with some unique tools. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 30, 2014 -> 11:13 AM)

Watchdogs isn't even close to being a bust. It may not be the instant Game of the Year, but it's absolutely worth picking up at full price.

After going to the Watch_Dogs launch event, playing the video game for a week straight, I'll be putting down the controller for Soul Suspect tonight. I suspect that I will be playing Watch_Dogs by tomorrow evening, though. Soul Suspect looks awesome, but Watch_Dogs is sooo good. The negative reviews are just idiotic.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Jun 3, 2014 -> 05:47 PM)
After going to the Watch_Dogs launch event, playing the video game for a week straight, I'll be putting down the controller for Soul Suspect tonight. I suspect that I will be playing Watch_Dogs by tomorrow evening, though. Soul Suspect looks awesome, but Watch_Dogs is sooo good. The negative reviews are just idiotic.

Soul Suspect has a metacritic of 59...