2014 Video game thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (TRU @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 03:57 PM)
Its hard to be wowed when you only get to do the same repetitive sampling of the game in a tiny area the whole time. Overall though, its a day 1 get for me. I love me some RPG games and I will no doubt sink a lot of time into this one.

Well, given you're playing the beta, I imagine it's already been pre-ordered so the latter point is moot.

I'm already obsessed with this game. I also like that Peter Dinklage and Lance Reddick have such prevelant voice acting parts in it.

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played quite a bit of the beta. It's definitely got a Halo feel, but it has a totally different feel than Borderlands. The loot isn't as plentiful (and they don't have much, if any rare stuff in the beta) and it's obviously not going for comedy. The writing was a big part of what made me like Borderlands (well, that and I was obsessive about getting loot and leveling).

The early missions didn't blow me away, but they did start getting slightly tougher. The strike mission and random events were better. It's definitely my style with the solid shooting and RPG elements built in with your character development. I have no idea if the story is going to be any good or not, but keep putting interesting things in front of me to shoot and I'll be fine.

I'm sure I will be playing it extensively when it comes out.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (TRU @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 03:45 PM)
It feels more like Halo than Borderlands. The loot drops and finds arent nearly as much as they are in borderlands. It has a lot of the same ideas though. Tough to tell since I maxed out the BETA in one sitting and cant progress or find anything better anymore.

I kind of like that the loot isn't as plentiful. Yeah, Borderlands was loot-heavy, but I felt like I spent way too much time comparing guns and managing my inventory when I really only used a handful of guns. I'm fine with only a couple items per mission, depending on length of course. I also hope the damage scaling isn't as steep when you level, by the end of the game like 90% of the stuff you find isn't really useful. I think they're talking about a level cap of 20, which could prevent that. With the weapon upgrading, I also shouldn't have to replace my s*** every 20 minutes. I loved Borderlands 2, but those things definitely annoyed me at times.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 03:52 PM)
For me personally, Borderlands had fantastic writing in an intriguing plot. I have no idea if Destiny will deliver that, if it doesn't then it's just a good PvP game but nothing special.

Considering the voice acting in Alpha and the somewhat better acting in Beta, I don't have high hopes for a massively entertaining storyline to help feed interest.

I thought the random events and the strike mission were pretty interesting. Hopefully there's either more of those or the missions get a little more compelling as you get farther into the game. I thought the first few missions were pretty blah, but the last two were a little better. I'm hoping they add a couple more the last 4 days.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 08:07 PM)
I kind of like that the loot isn't as plentiful. Yeah, Borderlands was loot-heavy, but I felt like I spent way too much time comparing guns and managing my inventory when I really only used a handful of guns. I'm fine with only a couple items per mission, depending on length of course. I also hope the damage scaling isn't as steep when you level, by the end of the game like 90% of the stuff you find isn't really useful. I think they're talking about a level cap of 20, which could prevent that. With the weapon upgrading, I also shouldn't have to replace my s*** every 20 minutes. I loved Borderlands 2, but those things definitely annoyed me at times.

Level cap of 20 for Destiny? I sure hope not as I got to level 8 very quickly

QUOTE (TRU @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 08:39 AM)
Level cap of 20 for Destiny? I sure hope not as I got to level 8 very quickly

I don't think it's confirmed, but it's heavily rumored. I think Bungie's comment was something like they don't want to make you grind for dozens of hours to get to the good stuff.

It also sounds like it's a "soft cap" in that you can keep adding skills and grabbing more powerful loot. Sort of the old line "the game doesn't really start until you hit the level cap."

Once again, that's not confirmed, just what I've read on some boards.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:02 PM)
I don't think it's confirmed, but it's heavily rumored. I think Bungie's comment was something like they don't want to make you grind for dozens of hours to get to the good stuff.

It also sounds like it's a "soft cap" in that you can keep adding skills and grabbing more powerful loot. Sort of the old line "the game doesn't really start until you hit the level cap."

The grind is the best part though

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 09:25 AM)
Speaking of Borderlands 2, I finally got The Bee last night at level 51. That's going to make so many things so much easier.

I honestly almost never used The Bee since I didn't get it until after they nerfed it. I usually rolled with a Sham or an Evo depending on whether I was facing gun-based enemies or not. I did plenty of damage with the slag/Unkempt Harold combo. :D

The Bears should be pretty beastly to play with this year in Madden 15. Marshall's a 96 and Forte is a 95. Both higher than what they had been in previous years. Add in Jeffery (probably high 80s or low 90s) and Bennett (mid 80s) and that's one hell of an offense.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:02 PM)

Its probably a lot like CoD in that getting the max "level" rank isn't difficult, but unlocking the extras is. I got to level 60 on CoD in a few weeks of online game play, but its mighty difficult to unlock everything.... for example the sniper "outfit" requires 130 kills with a chrome barrel rifle.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 04:39 AM)
I honestly almost never used The Bee since I didn't get it until after they nerfed it. I usually rolled with a Sham or an Evo depending on whether I was facing gun-based enemies or not. I did plenty of damage with the slag/Unkempt Harold combo. :D

Pre-nerf Bee was totally broken. Everything went down in an instant.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Jul 26, 2014 -> 10:18 PM)
Its probably a lot like CoD in that getting the max "level" rank isn't difficult, but unlocking the extras is. I got to level 60 on CoD in a few weeks of online game play, but its mighty difficult to unlock everything.... for example the sniper "outfit" requires 130 kills with a chrome barrel rifle.

I think you got it flipped. It takes about a full day worth of play time (Literally 24+ hours of multiplayer gameplay) to get to 60, and you have to do that 10 times. 130 kills with the chrome barrel attachment is nothing, you could do that in one sit down if you really wanted to. If you can get 15 kills a game your looking at 8-9 games to unlock that.

• 1 month later...

IGN is the worst.

"After the letdown of Madden 25 last year, Madden 15 feels like a mostly fresh start for the series. The increased emphasis on defensive play, a great new play-calling system, and the return of long-time favorites makes this year's Madden one of the best in recent memory, even if it could still use work in regards to its stale commentary and longstanding bugs. As a lifelong Madden and football fan, I'm impressed. This year's game is both exciting and reassuring that EA Sports isn't wasting opportunities to improve the series."

Their rating for Madden 15? 8.7

Their rating for Madden 25? 8.5

Yet last year was a letdown (true), but this year is supposedly amazing?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 01:03 PM)
IGN is the worst.

"After the letdown of Madden 25 last year, Madden 15 feels like a mostly fresh start for the series. The increased emphasis on defensive play, a great new play-calling system, and the return of long-time favorites makes this year's Madden one of the best in recent memory, even if it could still use work in regards to its stale commentary and longstanding bugs. As a lifelong Madden and football fan, I'm impressed. This year's game is both exciting and reassuring that EA Sports isn't wasting opportunities to improve the series."

The same person didnt review both games for what its worth. Personally, I think Madden 15 blows away last years game, its absolutely beautiful and the gameplay feels real good. I dont have the computer making 360 back flip interceptions on me all game like last year.

QUOTE (TRU @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 01:15 PM)
The same person didnt review both games for what its worth. Personally, I think Madden 15 blows away last years game, its absolutely beautiful and the gameplay feels real good. I dont have the computer making 360 back flip interceptions on me all game like last year.

So it's got the Carl stamp of approval? Are you on PS4?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 01:38 PM)
So it's got the Carl stamp of approval? Are you on PS4?

I give it a stamp of approval. Ive only played one game against the CPU on All Pro and 2 Ultimate Team games online, but I haven't run into anything that made me flip my lid yet. The graphics are beautiful, and I feel the gameplay is much improved over last year. So far though, its been great. I think I beat the 49ers like 24-21, only threw one pick and it was my fault. Last year I would throw 4-5 INTs a game against the CPU on All-Pro.

As far as a criticism, I have only seen one penalty so far and it was a facemask. But no super defenders intercepting anything withing a 10 foot radius of them.

I am on PS4, ID is Slackin224

They definitely made ultimate team a lot harder this year. I have one guy whose rating is over 80 right now and I've opened like 8 packs (one pro pack, a bunch from other stuff).

I remember playing it last year and getting AP off the bat.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 27, 2014 -> 01:03 PM)
IGN is the worst.

IGN seems to struggle with reviewing the annual titles, especially EA Sports games from what I've noticed. Games like that can seem great for ~10 hours, but the more you play them the more the little problems can become game breakers. It's very hard to discover those things in a pre-release review.