2014 TV thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 05:43 PM)
This week, Neil deGrasse Tyson basically called anyone who believes in a God a fool. He went so far as to say people who believe in God do so because we dont want to think we might be related to monkeys who throw poop. (literally, he almost used those exact words)

That is not what he said. Given your comments I went into this episode thinking he was going to just lambaste religious people left and right. This is what he actually said:

"We all understand the twinge of discomfort at the thought that we share a common ancestor with the apes. No one can embarrass you like a relative. Our closest ones, the chimpanzees, frequently behave inappropriately in public. There's an understandable human need to distance ourselves from them. A central premise of traditional belief is that we were created separately from all the other animals. It's easy to see why this idea has taken hold -- it makes us feel special."

I don't see how that's an over-the-top assault on religion. If it's that last line that offended you, that's a central premise of the show -- that we can feel special because we are so intertwined with life, nature and the Cosmos.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 11:15 AM)
Shaw is hot...

Are you including Root in that?

Has to be.

At first I was disappointed when they wrote Taraji Henson out of the show, but I've grown to like Shaw.

It's kind of like the huge change this season with NCIS...Ziva David leaving and replaced by Emily Wickersham.

I just started watching about a month ago and quickly caught up to present. Really have grown to enjoy it, especially the idea that Root is actually not the enemy and seeing where things lead from here. Also liked the background episode when they showed the first guy to work with Harold and how he came across Jim Caviezel's character.

I'm pretty sure that Shahi is at least half Iranian.

Just watched this week's show. DECIMA and Vigilance....Root is off the chain this week...she need to be more prominently featured because she plays off so well against the drollness (moribund, in the words of Bill Raftery) of Finch and Shah.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 22, 2014 -> 09:14 PM)
That is not what he said. Given your comments I went into this episode thinking he was going to just lambaste religious people left and right. This is what he actually said:

"We all understand the twinge of discomfort at the thought that we share a common ancestor with the apes. No one can embarrass you like a relative. Our closest ones, the chimpanzees, frequently behave inappropriately in public. There's an understandable human need to distance ourselves from them. A central premise of traditional belief is that we were created separately from all the other animals. It's easy to see why this idea has taken hold -- it makes us feel special."

I don't see how that's an over-the-top assault on religion. If it's that last line that offended you, that's a central premise of the show -- that we can feel special because we are so intertwined with life, nature and the Cosmos.

Thank you, farm.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)
Anyone still going with Vikings? I was glad to see Logatha and Bjorn back. I can't wait to see what happened to the Priest.

Very entertaining show so far. The battle scenes this season have been phenomenal. Looks like the priest should have gone back with Ragna

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 12:14 AM)
Finally got to see that "Kenosha Carry Out" scene that I watched being filmed last month. Now I get why I didn't recognize Emmy Rossum, because she was so drugged up and ugly. It's a shame the big reflector screen was blocking me from seeing Lip. I was assuming it was Robbie this entire time.

Was that actually filmed in Kenosha, or somewhere down in NWI?

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 10:15 AM)
It was filmed in Lynwood, IL, about 1/4 mile over the IN/IL border at a place called the "Lynwood Carry Out". They changed the sign, obviously.

How long ago was that? I always like seeing how long it takes to go from filming to airing.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 10:22 AM)
I mean Shaw is hotter than Root, but Root has that insane intelligence quality that I enjoy.

Shaw is smoking. Amy Acker (Root) is pretty darn attractive too, though.

Just realized Sarah Shahi (Shaw) is married to Steve Howey, AKA Kev from Shameless.

Edited by farmteam

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)
Shaw is smoking. Amy Acker (Root) is pretty darn attractive too, though.

Just realized Sarah Shahi (Shaw) is married to Steve Howey, AKA Kev from Shameless.

Different frames. Acker is a lot more slim, model-esque.

Her flirting with Shaw gets more and more hilarious every time. She says just about anything these days.

I would bet $1 million that Shahi has implants. That's the only thing I don't like, that cliched Hollywood thing. I get it. Everyone does it, just like Emmy Rossum did to boost her career when it was flagging, the FHM spreads, etc.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 09:44 AM)
This season of Whose Line is it Anyway is off to a great start, for anyone who likes the show.

Who's Line was always one of my favorite shows. Although I'm kinda disappointed that Drew isn't the host anymore. He was always such an easy target for jokes. Aisha doesn't seem to get involved as much and doesn't do a skit at the end of the show.

I wonder if having a "guest star" is going to be something they do for every episode now.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 03:31 PM)
Who's Line was always one of my favorite shows. Although I'm kinda disappointed that Drew isn't the host anymore. He was always such an easy target for jokes. Aisha doesn't seem to get involved as much and doesn't do a skit at the end of the show.

I wonder if having a "guest star" is going to be something they do for every episode now.

I hated Drew Carey on that show. Clive Anderson was awesome. Aisha is funnier, but you are right where she doesn't get involved.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 03:31 PM)

The guests stars are kind of annoying. They really add nothing. I do like how they rotate a fourth member. Key from Key and Peele has been on a lot.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Mar 25, 2014 -> 07:47 PM)
The guests stars are kind of annoying. They really add nothing. I do like how they rotate a fourth member. Key from Key and Peele has been on a lot.

Whole heartedly agree with this.....the guest 'stars' do nothing but interrupt the flow of the show.......