2014 TV thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)
I'm not really a reality show guy, but I caught the first ten minutes or so of Utopia when it came on after the game. I don't know what anyone sees in that show. It's just a big group of idiots yelling at each other, and there's not even some ultimate goal or story driving everything like there are on other shows (e.g. voting people out).

Sounds like every single cookie cutter reality show out there today.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)
I'm not really a reality show guy, but I caught the first ten minutes or so of Utopia when it came on after the game. I don't know what anyone sees in that show. It's just a big group of idiots yelling at each other, and there's not even some ultimate goal or story driving everything like there are on other shows (e.g. voting people out).

Yes there is. Survival. They have to figure out how to create electricity, running water, allocate money to purchase items for the group and I think they can earn money as well by producing crops or goods and then selling them (to whom? I have no idea).

As far as voting people out, I believe they said every month there is going to be a vote from the fans to elect a new member in to the society. How they choose the person to replace? I have no idea, but fans of the show will submit bids to join the community and then they will get voted in to the show.

Utopia was a bit predictable, but I'm going to give it a little more time.

Anyone catch Sons of Anarchy?

I knew it was going DARK, but that was a lot for the first episode. Basically, it's going to be a swath of destruction throughout the whole season, just don't know how long Gemma can last before the truth comes out finally.

It's not going to happen quickly, Sutter will let it percolate...her and Jax have to become as tight as ever to fit the Hamlet parallels as the ultimate tragic finale unfolds over the arc of the final season.

Still enjoy watching Jimmy Smits' character whenever he's given something to do.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 12:13 PM)
Actually, the button hitting is cool. We shouldn't know what it's going to do, though.

I think letting us know what it would do before it's pushed takes some of the conspiracy out of it, whether things are rigged or not.

In regards to Utopia last night, I'm very disappointed that in order to get electricity, they just had to bury a cable from the barn to the electric box at the front gate. How lame is that? I wanted to see something like in The Colony where they have engineers and inventors in the group who figure out how rig together soler panels and hang and run lights and do everything except make their own lightbulbs. I found that way more interesting than telling them to go plug in some cables to a prewired and outfitted barn. That takes no brain power, just the manpower needed to bury a trench.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 12:32 PM)
In regards to Utopia last night, I'm very disappointed that in order to get electricity, they just had to bury a cable from the barn to the electric box at the front gate. How lame is that? I wanted to see something like in The Colony where they have engineers and inventors in the group who figure out how rig together soler panels and hang and run lights and do everything except make their own lightbulbs. I found that way more interesting than telling them to go plug in some cables to a prewired and outfitted barn. That takes no brain power, just the manpower needed to bury a trench.

I see what you did here, clever!

Subconscious Cubs' marketing ploy.

They would have been better suited not coming up with a cast that includes the likes of Red and Josh as their "intellectuals" in terms of figuring things out. And one random Asian girl as their "hot/naked" girl, along with the yoga "doctor" and that annoying chicken farmers/composting girl from Georgia. Heck, I would much rather watch the original cast of some of the Real World shows back in the 1990's on the Utopia set than this collection of misfits.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 01:43 PM)
I see what you did here, clever!

Subconscious Cubs' marketing ploy.

They would have been better suited not coming up with a cast that includes the likes of Red and Josh as their "intellectuals" in terms of figuring things out. And one random Asian girl as their "hot/naked" girl, along with the yoga "doctor" and that annoying chicken farmers/composting girl from Georgia. Heck, I would much rather watch the original cast of some of the Real World shows back in the 1990's on the Utopia set than this collection of misfits.

I get why they did it, because they want conflict/drama obviously, but again, I keep going back to The Colony, where they cast people who are experts of a particular craft and had very little sex appeal and all o them were useful in some way. In Utopia, it seems about 75% of these people are useless and do absolutely nothing. I don't watch Big Brother or The Real World, I don't want to see dumb people sitting around fighting and not doing anything productive. I want to see progress in this new community. I want to see s*** being built, infrastructure being laid out, society forming, etc.

Last night BB may have been the worst in series history. Yawn.

But if Frankie ends up getting evicted tonight, it'll be better in retrospect. Cody, Caleb, and a Frankie just aren't funny or entertaining and they're trying to be.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 02:31 PM)

But if Frankie ends up getting evicted tonight, it'll be better in retrospect. Cody, Caleb, and a Frankie just aren't funny or entertaining and they're trying to be.

Frankie is being edited so different than who he actually is. He's a piece of crap.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 02:31 PM)

I actually found Caleb and Cody trying to kill the button amusing.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 01:13 PM)
Actually, the button hitting is cool. We shouldn't know what it's going to do, though.

yeah I mean hitting it is fine, but telling us what would happen ahead of time makes this week worthless, but I am happy it has been hit and Frankie's plans will be for naught.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 07:04 AM)
I believe he can

Besides being vulgar and disgusting, he is so over dramatic, it's annoying.

Last nights BB was another dud. I thought the rewind would be revealed off the bat and they would do all the comps in one night. So stupid to stretch this season of boring people out.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 06:12 AM)
Utopia was a bit predictable, but I'm going to give it a little more time.

Anyone catch Sons of Anarchy?

I knew it was going DARK, but that was a lot for the first episode. Basically, it's going to be a swath of destruction throughout the whole season, just don't know how long Gemma can last before the truth comes out finally.

It's not going to happen quickly, Sutter will let it percolate...her and Jax have to become as tight as ever to fit the Hamlet parallels as the ultimate tragic finale unfolds over the arc of the final season.

Still enjoy watching Jimmy Smits' character whenever he's given something to do.

It was pretty good. The Gemma thing dragging on is a pain and really brings the show down for me but it is still a good show

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 07:42 AM)

Last nights BB was another dud. I thought the rewind would be revealed off the bat and they would do all the comps in one night. So stupid to stretch this season of boring people out.

They extended the show a week about a month ago. Not sure why they did another double eviction though.. If they would have made it a regular week we wouldn't have had to deal with the whole rewind thing

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 07:42 AM)

Dude. Go to youtube and google frankie live feeds. He is horrific.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 11, 2014 -> 12:26 PM)
It was pretty good. The Gemma thing dragging on is a pain and really brings the show down for me but it is still a good show

Many think Sutter's going to wait until Episode 13 for all the chips to to be cashed in with Gemma, Juice, Unser and Jax.

Otoh, if you follow Hamlet and MacBeth...it would lead you believe that both Gemma and Jax will end up dead, with Nero and his drug addicted ex taking care of the kids (as was shown in the first episode).

Juice is definitely a wild card...as the preview showed, he doesn't kill Unser, and I read somewhere where Unser will last the whole season and start an uneasy partnership with new sheriff Annabeth Gish's character beginning in the next episode.

Apparently, Katey Sagal has already changed her hairstyle and many are taking that to indicate she's already finished filming her parts as Gemma and that she might be taken out around episode 7-10, although it's all just speculation at this point.

Also, one of the reveals has been that at least two members of the MC will be killed, and I'm assuming that's from Tig/Chibs/Jax/Bobby/Juice and not the lesser members.

Edited by caulfield12