2014 TV thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 02:44 PM)
Ray Donovan was pretty good this season. I thought the first season was kind of dull except for Jon Voight. But season 2, he was just as spectacular, and the rest of script definitely picked up.

Yeah I agree. I really enjoyed Season 2.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 29, 2014 -> 04:22 PM)
Conversely, Masters of Sex has had a bad sophomore season, IMO.

I haven't watched the finale yet, but so far I agree. I think the main issue is the B story lines are all pretty boring. And while I enjoy deep character dives, Masters comes off as a prick 100% of the time. I was never really sold on feeling sorry for him for his daddy issues, so this entire season never worked for me. Some flashbacks to his childhood might have helped, but simply being told he was abused by his father isn't enough to show how much that caused his adulthood issues. The amount of time spent on that this season was just way too much.

At the same time, they've basically ignored Johnson's side of the story. The 2nd to last episode story line with her kids finally starts to bring that out a bit, but this entire season is basically her doing whatever Bill wants. The initial "i'm not being appreciated" plot line was nice, but we still don't really know who she is or what she wants in life, other than to f*** Masters in every possible way to make him happy.

Although it's Game of Thrones For Women, Outlander's first half season was surprisingly good. The actress who plays Claire is hot and loves to get dirty. And the dude who played Brutus in HBO's Rome is pretty good in his duel role. It's a good watch with the wifey if anyone is looking for a new "epic" drama show.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 01:49 PM)
I can only hope The League never has as bad of an episode as they had last week. That was brutal and a complete waste of time.

The origin of Rafi and Dirty Randy? It's not saying much, but I though it was one of the better episodes in a while. Had some legitimate LOL moments.

Sadly, this once hilarious show has gone the way of It's Always Sunny - gags are, old, stale and repetitive, and the characters don't even act like real people anymore.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 01:26 PM)
I haven't watched the finale yet, but so far I agree. I think the main issue is the B story lines are all pretty boring. And while I enjoy deep character dives, Masters comes off as a prick 100% of the time. I was never really sold on feeling sorry for him for his daddy issues, so this entire season never worked for me. Some flashbacks to his childhood might have helped, but simply being told he was abused by his father isn't enough to show how much that caused his adulthood issues. The amount of time spent on that this season was just way too much.

At the same time, they've basically ignored Johnson's side of the story. The 2nd to last episode story line with her kids finally starts to bring that out a bit, but this entire season is basically her doing whatever Bill wants. The initial "i'm not being appreciated" plot line was nice, but we still don't really know who she is or what she wants in life, other than to f*** Masters in every possible way to make him happy.

Although it's Game of Thrones For Women, Outlander's first half season was surprisingly good. The actress who plays Claire is hot and loves to get dirty. And the dude who played Brutus in HBO's Rome is pretty good in his duel role. It's a good watch with the wifey if anyone is looking for a new "epic" drama show.

I enjoyed when we were learning about the different ways the body reacts and works during sex, not when we are spending 75% of the season figuring out what triggers will make Masters get an erection again. We get it, he has a sexual dysfunction. I didn't like the time jump in the story either, it seemed to have skipped some plot lines rather quickly. What ever happened to Barnum (was that his name?) and his wife? Or their daughter that the other doctor was dating? Or Pearl?

I just think this season has been real boring so far and really Betsy Brandt and the their cameraman (can't remember his name right now) have been really the only 2 interesting characters so far this season. Mrs. Masters and the black movement has been alright, but every episode they feel the need to remind us that she is white and it's "not her place" to be fighting for them. We get it. They don't have to show an awkward standoff every episode to remind us.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 03:35 PM)
2nd episode of Gotham was great as well.

Yes. I Like.

The Family Guy/Simpsons was weak. Had its moments but just showed me how much better FG is now.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 01:53 PM)
The origin of Rafi and Dirty Randy? It's not saying much, but I though it was one of the better episodes in a while. Had some legitimate LOL moments.

Sadly, this once hilarious show has gone the way of It's Always Sunny - gags are, old, stale and repetitive, and the characters don't even act like real people anymore.

Rafi is good in short bursts. The episode was way too long, didn't involve the other characters, and was overall very weird. Multiple times my wife and I were saying "what the hell is this?"

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 01:49 PM)
I can only hope The League never has as bad of an episode as they had last week. That was brutal and a complete waste of time.

I thought it was hilarious! I was wishing it were an 80 minute movie.

The League is on point this year.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 08:01 PM)
Rafi is good in short bursts. The episode was way too long, didn't involve the other characters, and was overall very weird. Multiple times my wife and I were saying "what the hell is this?"

Agreed.

I thought The League was great again tonight. The hot tub part at the end was awful though, because my limited amount of knowledge on hot tubs still tells me that it is very unlikely that hottubs are connected to your house plumbing system, especially sewage...

But the storyline with the thin pants was great, and the holding hands thing fit in well. I lost interest in the Taco/Mark Cuban thing. I assume he ruined the check before he ever cashed it?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 1, 2014 -> 04:35 PM)
2nd episode of Gotham was great as well.

Just finally got around to watching the first two episodes yesterday and it's got me. It has been fantastic so far.

Blacklist has returned very strongly as well and I have also enjoyed the new show Forever. Not as dramatic as the others but it's been fun

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 2, 2014 -> 06:00 AM)
Just finally got around to watching the first two episodes yesterday and it's got me. It has been fantastic so far.

Blacklist has returned very strongly as well and I have also enjoyed the new show Forever. Not as dramatic as the others but it's been fun

I finally watched Gotham last night and was thoroughly impressed.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 2, 2014 -> 09:54 AM)
The Roosevelt's on PBS was incredible, as is anything done by Ken Burns. Well worth the 13ish hours to watch it all.

I'm upset that I missed it. And it doesn't look like they're going to be replaying it anytime soon.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 2, 2014 -> 10:16 AM)
I'm upset that I missed it. And it doesn't look like they're going to be replaying it anytime soon.

No. I DVR'd it. The last day on Comcast ON Demand is today. They already took the full videos down off of PBS's website.