2014 TV thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 12:12 PM)
I didn't care for it. I thought most of the season was pretty good, probably the best of the series. But the finale just went back to that old formula that sucked - kill someone to shock/surprise.

Pretty much. The season started strong. Thought it just went back to being the same old. bleh.. can't say I'm really looking forward to the return in February.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And really that didn't work because I saw Beth's death coming the last two episodes (not 100%, but it was a strong feeling). Too much screen time + too much talking with Dawn and it became a forgone conclusion to me. The other reason I didn't like it - they just wasted the season. Great build up on Beth, great suspense trying to get her back, and now we're back to square one. Seems like a waste. Kill Dawn, I get that, but Beth? Why? Again, because that's the easiest and cheapest way to score shock points.

When talking about the mid season finale death, Norman Reedus said he got over emotional and couldn't stop crying That pretty much told you the death was going to be Beth or Carol.

My wife (who doesn't watch the show that often) said she knew it would be Beth as soon as Maggie was told she was alive.

Never watched The Walking Dead before two weeks ago and blitzed through the entire series in two weeks or so.

I really hated the second half of last season after the 2nd battle for the prison, and, like others have pointed out....where does the series go from here? (A Maggie and Rosita Bikini car wash fundraiser?)

They did a lot of individual character development in the second half of season 4, and it seems like half of that effort's been wiped out now.

The heart of that series to me is really Hershel and The Governor, those two extremes...with Rick Grimes landing in the middle of the two polar opposites, essentially.

Now that the Washington, D.C., angle has been closed off...just feel the show needs to "get big" again, like the time when they went to Atlanta/CDC and tried to investigate a possible solution to the plague.

When they're traipsing along without a farm, prison, Terminus, Woodbury as the backdrop...the show becomes like another version of The Road.

It's the group dynamics...the utilitarian "greatest good for the greatest number" scenes with Rick struggling for leadership that are the most compelling IMO, as well as fending off challenges from the Shanes, Gareths and Abrahams of the world.

Edited by caulfield12

Would like to see the show jump 10-15 years into the future when Carl, Judith and maybe Maggie and Glenn and their child/dren are running things.

Of course, I've never read a single comic book in my life, so someone else can probably tell me exactly why this will never ever happen I'm sure.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 1, 2014 -> 11:05 PM)
Never watched The Walking Dead before two weeks ago and blitzed through the entire series in two weeks or so.

I really hated the second half of last season after the 2nd battle for the prison, and, like others have pointed out....where does the series go from here? (A Maggie and Rosita Bikini car wash fundraiser?)

They did a lot of individual character development in the second half of season 4, and it seems like half of that effort's been wiped out now.

The heart of that series to me is really Hershel and The Governor, those two extremes...with Rick Grimes landing in the middle of the two polar opposites, essentially.

Now that the Washington, D.C., angle has been closed off...just feel the show needs to "get big" again, like the time when they went to Atlanta/CDC and tried to investigate a possible solution to the plague.

When they're traipsing along without a farm, prison, Terminus, Woodbury as the backdrop...the show becomes like another version of The Road.

It's the group dynamics...the utilitarian "greatest good for the greatest number" scenes with Rick struggling for leadership that are the most compelling IMO, as well as fending off challenges from the Shanes, Gareths and Abrahams of the world.

Very mild spoilers, but in the comics there is still one major setting that they have yet to touch on and also a villain that

makes the governor look like soft

. Also, one of my favorite characters has yet to arrive and he has a pet

tiger!

They have a lot of material to work with still and as long as they don't drag out how to get to some of it, next season has a chance to be really, really good.

My buddy and I went out and got him a 65" Samsung 4K Curved TV. Boy is that thing beautiful. For some reason I was under the impression that those curved TVs curved towards the end, and not throughout the whole body, which is mainly why I thought they were so dumb. I still wouldn't pay extra for a curved display, but it really wasn't noticeable when watching the TV from straight on.

Very dark episode of SOA last night. I usually wait until the weekend to watch it, mainly because it's at least 90 minutes, but I figured I had to watch the last two episodes live.

Two of the deaths I expected,

Juice and Gemma

, but I was surprised they happened in this episode. The third death,

Unser

, was a surprise.

I thought the guy who's been terminally ill for the entire series would be the last man standing.

I still don't see a scenario where Jax doesn't end up in jail or dead. He truly has become the guy he vowed never to be. He's worse than Clay was, in my opinion.

Was thinking that Gemma wasn't going to kill herself...there was that warning sign on the back of her rearview mirror before she met Michael Chiklis.

We all imagined at the beginning of the year that Nero would probably end up with Wendy and the kids on the farm. Looks like that's going to happen still.

If you read the Unser "post character death" interview at ew.com, it's pretty hilarious. www.ew.com/sonsofanarchy

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 01:40 AM)
Eric will be appearing next season on Girl Meets World and Shawn, Feeny, and Eric will have bigger roles in the 2nd season.

I stopped watching after like 3 eps cuz I felt it was not good. Maybe cuz I'm not a 13 year old girl.

The unexpected SOA death was similar to the WD death in that I think it went more to a shock value.

I thought the Juice thing was handled in the same way but that character seemed to always be some sort of interpretative thought from Sutter that never really made sense to me.

I still love that Teller committed a strong armed robbery and ran two cops off the road but it was punching Unser that has him in hot water.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 01:40 AM)
Eric will be appearing next season on Girl Meets World and Shawn, Feeny, and Eric will have bigger roles in the 2nd season.

Well Shawn and Feeny didn't really have any roles in S1, especially Shawn since he wasn't even mentioned so far.

I think Harley and Minkus are the only returning characters I've seen so far outside of Cory and Topanga obviously. I guess you could count the ghost of Feeny too.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 05:03 PM)
Well Shawn and Feeny didn't really have any roles in S1, especially Shawn since he wasn't even mentioned so far.

I think Harley and Minkus are the only returning characters I've seen so far outside of Cory and Topanga obviously. I guess you could count the ghost of Feeny too.

Shawn, Amy, and Alan will be on the episode tomorrow for a family dinner. I assume more will be in it next year more often.