Eaton called selfish by ex-teammate

southsider2k5

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/eaton-...ent-ex-teammate

After an anonymous ex-teammate told a Phoenix-area radio station that Adam Eaton was a "selfish me-type player," the White Sox outfielder said he was surprised by the remark.

"I haven’t heard anything about any of it,” Eaton told AZCentral.com. “I didn’t have any indication. I felt like I left on pretty good terms. I felt like I had a pretty good relationship with most of the guys and the PR department and a lot of the front office people. After the trade they called me and kind of wished me good luck.”

Among the other criticisms levied against Eaton: that he "irked people in the clubhouse" and that his attitude "had a tendency to wear on people." Perhaps this is an instance of just one player having beef with the 25-year-old.

And as Hardball Talk's Craig Calcaterra points out, Eaton was just the kind of player Arizona wanted -- a scrappy, grinder-type guy who always played with energy -- so it's a little weird he's being criticized on his way out.

Eaton sounds like AJ II. I don't care about the players' personalities. I'm sure there are tons of rich assholes in the game of baseball. Who cares? If anybody doesn't like AJ or Eaton, who cares?? They are all in it for two reasons. 1.) the money. 2.) to a very very lesser degree the WS ring.

Sounds pretty vague. Even if entirely true, it sounds like he might be an annoying kid. Big deal. He'll grow up and stop "irking" people... or he won't and he just won't have a bunch of best friends on the team. We'll all live.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 1, 2014 -> 10:41 PM)
Eaton sounds like AJ II. I don't care about the players' personalities. I'm sure there are tons of rich assholes in the game of baseball. Who cares? If anybody doesn't like AJ or Eaton, who cares?? They are all in it for two reasons. 1.) the money. 2.) to a very very lesser degree the WS ring.

Not the hot babes?

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jan 1, 2014 -> 11:26 PM)
This sounds more like a jealousy thing more than anything not to mention chicken s*** for being anonymous. I mean why else talk s*** about a young guy trying to make a name for himself after he's been traded? I love the kids enthusiasm and energy.

Well, I don't know if it's a jealousy thing, but I also don't know why a former player would randomly make this up. What's the point in attacking Adam Eaton with lies after he left? It makes more sense that this would be true versus it being untrue. But it's also just one person's opinion.

Eaton strikes me as a little bit on the cocky side. As a rookie, he probably came off a little too loud, where old school ways is for rookies to be quiet.

I think there's a better chance Eaton is closer to a Swisher type than a Pierzynski type. We'll see.

Either way, play good baseball and nobody will care.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 08:06 AM)
The Phoenix-area radio station that passed along the "anonymous" information in the first place is disgusting. Tell your source to put his name on it or you aren't reporting it.

The report was enough for us to believe and talk about.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 08:44 AM)
The point still remains.

I don't think anyone is questioning what was said, rather that this faceless guy just hurt Eaton's reputation out of cowardice.

OTOH, all the time we see veterans getting praise for trying to teach cocky youngsters how to stay under control. That's enforcing clubhouse discipline or something like that. I'm pretty sure we are spending a couple million on a guy just for that purpose.

Remember when Lastings Milledge hit his first big league HR and started high-fiving the crowd? Who got the positive feedback...the arrogant youngster or the rest of the clubhouse for reacting negatively to it anonymously?

OTOH, all the time we see veterans getting praise for trying to teach cocky youngsters how to stay under control. That's enforcing clubhouse discipline or something like that. I'm pretty sure we are spending a couple million on a guy just for that purpose.

Remember when Lastings Milledge hit his first big league HR and started high-fiving the crowd? Who got the positive feedback...the arrogant youngster or the rest of the clubhouse for reacting negatively to it anonymously?

Big difference between sending a message to a guy still on your team and trashing a guy after he's gone.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 09:12 AM)
If they did it anonymously, then they shouldn't have done it.

Like the anonymous hints we constantly kept getting about him using drugs during the season? Or the leak about the whole "offering up their bats to a blow-up doll" scene?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 08:16 AM)
Like the anonymous hints we constantly kept getting about him using drugs during the season? Or the leak about the whole "offering up their bats to a blow-up doll" scene?

Didnt Cowley leak all of that? Pretty sure he did, because Ozzie wasnt a fan of Swisher, therefore Cowley wasnt a fan

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 07:49 AM)

Wow, there's a name I haven't seen or thought about in a while.