Eaton called selfish by ex-teammate

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 12:54 AM)
Well, I don't know if it's a jealousy thing, but I also don't know why a former player would randomly make this up. What's the point in attacking Adam Eaton with lies after he left? It makes more sense that this would be true versus it being untrue. But it's also just one person's opinion.

I guess that's what in getting at, there really was no point to the comments in the first place considering Eaton is gone from AZ. I agree with you that this is one anonymous persons perspective and considering this person is anonymous I guess its not worth getting annoyed over in the first place.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 06:20 AM)
Someone posted something on here when he was acquired that basically said the same thing. All that matters is if he can play or not. If he plays like a scrub he will be an annoying asshole. If he plays spectacularly, he is just a focused individual.

Well said. I can hear hawk now referring to Eaton as " Lil Dennis the menace".

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 09:55 AM)
Meh...who cares. Rather have that than another passive blah. Plus...Gibson and the other coaches loved him...which is more telling than some mood ring in the clubhouse who's job/attention felt threatened.

True. Waaay to many blah personality guys in the clubhouse the past few seasons it seems. Even when they've had competitive teams, it never looked like they were having fun.

These are not the 1st reports of this. I mentioned it on the day it happened that AZ was not high on Eaton anymore as they saw him as "an arrogant selfish me type player". This was reported by AM 620's John Gambadoro, a respected sports news source and someone I know personally. He has a great idea of the pulse of the DBacks and when he reported the trade, basically made it seem like Eaton was a throw in (Skaggs was the big piece in the deal) and that the DBacks were done with him, because of his attitude, much like Trevor Bauer.

The Dbacks are being run into the ground by one of the worst GMs in sports, Kevin Towers. They also got demolished by the Dodgers and were weak minded and basically the definition of pushovers. So if someone didn't fit into the "DBacks mold", I'm OK with that.

I don't really get the selfish label. He went deep into counts in the leadoff spot. He plays CF. If he was a free swinging middle of the lineup hitter, say like an Adam Dunn, then I could see him being called selfish for trying to just hit HRs for himself. But in the leadoff spot, and in CF, I don't see a problem with him being a "me" player.

I wouldn't be worried about this, if there is a sport that is more about the individual than any other of the big 4 sports, it is baseball anyway. I still like the move.

Athletes these days can be major p*****s. WTF do you want, you're playing a sport for a f***ing living and you have a shot of earning millions of dollars *even if you suck* provided you get through the first 3 years at the league minimum or thereabouts. You got a team plane, catering, all the best restaurants... me first & selfish? To whoever said that, grow a pair of balls you little girlyman.

We've heard that s*** about AJ & Frank both for years, and if what they say about Eaton is true, and that attitude results in Eaton expressing even 1/2 the level of dedication to the game those guys have, then that is exactly the kind of player I want Hahn out acquiring in the first place and that also is exactly the kind of player I want leading this team. Being obsessed with excellence isn't a bad thing, nor is it repulsive to anyone who also expects the same of himself. Whoever made these comments about Eaton should go hang around with Nick Swisher and do the worm together like little girlymen who have no balls. That's what I think.

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 06:05 PM)
These are not the 1st reports of this. I mentioned it on the day it happened that AZ was not high on Eaton anymore as they saw him as "an arrogant selfish me type player". This was reported by AM 620's John Gambadoro, a respected sports news source and someone I know personally. He has a great idea of the pulse of the DBacks and when he reported the trade, basically made it seem like Eaton was a throw in (Skaggs was the big piece in the deal) and that the DBacks were done with him, because of his attitude, much like Trevor Bauer.

The Dbacks are being run into the ground by one of the worst GMs in sports, Kevin Towers. They also got demolished by the Dodgers and were weak minded and basically the definition of pushovers. So if someone didn't fit into the "DBacks mold", I'm OK with that.

I don't really get the selfish label. He went deep into counts in the leadoff spot. He plays CF. If he was a free swinging middle of the lineup hitter, say like an Adam Dunn, then I could see him being called selfish for trying to just hit HRs for himself. But in the leadoff spot, and in CF, I don't see a problem with him being a "me" player.

I wouldn't be worried about this, if there is a sport that is more about the individual than any other of the big 4 sports, it is baseball anyway. I still like the move.

Not sure I really "respect" any sports radio voice out here...they're all awful if you ask me. Gambo comes off a little "I know and you don't" too much...which many times is just his OPINION on a topic. Maybe Eaton was a little jacked since Towers couldn't get his head out of his ass in terms of the entire outfield situation and not one of them could get a consistent rhythm going because of inconsistent PT since there were too many OFs. Maybe he wasn't happy with his rehab went. Who knows...and like you said I don't get the selfish label (first I've really heard of it) either. Like I said earlier....all I know are guys like Gibson, Trammel and Brett Butler absolutely LOVED that guy...his attitude and how he played. Maybe Gambo is just talking to the same "anonymous" mouth piece....

^I bet every of the 30 organizations has their own little Oney Guillen, i.e. loudmouth little s*** waste of air who is unfortunately privy to normally hushed team information due only to the fact that he's related to someone too important to fire. And I bet these little stains are the ones where a lot of the radio guys get their quotes, same with the Cowley-type beat guys no one respects, they get their info from a bad source because no one of consequence tells them anything.

QUOTE (peppers312 @ Jan 2, 2014 -> 08:48 PM)
for all we know it was former Twin, former Dback, Jason Kubel who made these remarks about Eaton just to stir the pot for no reason. players who don't put their names behind remaks like this are f'n cowards.

So how selfish is it for a guy to take a shot at a co-worker and hide, while not giving the guy a chance to explain himself?

It's OK to be "selfish" in baseball as long as you perform. Pete Rose was considered all about Pete Rose, but that didn't stop him from winning. Frank Thomas was always concerned about Frank Thomas' stats, but that didn't matter. It only matters when you suck and your team sucks. I would imagine Eaton is going to rub some of his new teammates the wrong way, just like most guys, but they really won't care as long as he puts up the numbers and helps them win.