Long Term Manager Plan

rowand's rowdies

Robin Ventura seems like a nice enough guy. I'm not sold he's the long term manager of a successful White Sox team once this reload is completed. So let's assume he heads back to the beautiful Central Cali coast town of Paso Robles after his contract runs out, who is your pick for next manager?

My pick is Ron Karkovice, the brains of our late 80s/early 90s teams.

We all know former catchers make the best managers. Here are some of the top managers in baseball who were catchers (there are a few more, too):

- Mike Scioscia

- Joe Madden

- Mike Matheny

- Bob Melvin

- Bruce Bochy

- Joe Girardi

Ron Karkovice, longtime Chicago White Sox catcher and hero, has been managing the Camden Riversharks (Independent League), with a old favorite of ours as his bench coach, CHRIS WIDGER!

He has had a rough time record wise over 2 seasons, going 116-143, but who the hell knows what the roster/league situation is?

That has to keep Ron on his toes, not knowing which terrible ball player clinging onto a glimmer of false hope, will come through in tough situations.

Ron Karkovice is a legend to us all and would be a great candidate to be a long term manager of the Chicago White Sox.

If Chris Widger is in as his bench coach, forget about it.

#Karkovice2015

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If The Officer brings Chris in as his bench coach he has the support of the Widgenation. Of course Widger left on bad terms with the front office here I believe so that won't happen.

I'm all for Dave Martinez. I think he may have murdered 2 or 3 people however since he has not landed a job yet.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 07:58 PM)
I think the Lyle Mouton/Mike Bertotti ticket looks stronger

Marc Hill manager with Ron kittle as the bench coach, Jerry Dybzinski as the 1B/ base running coach, Ron LeFlore as the hitting coach and Salome Barojas as pitching coach.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 07:47 PM)
If The Officer brings Chris in as his bench coach he has the support of the Widgenation. Of course Widger left on bad terms with the front office here I believe so that won't happen.

I'm all for Dave Martinez. I think he may have murdered 2 or 3 people however since he has not landed a job yet.

Why doesn't Dave Martinez get a shot at being a manager anyways. I'd give him a try for sure, but I don't run the team or pay the salary of course.

Love the Lyle Mouton reference!

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 08:25 PM)
I know this won't be a popular choice but I think AJP would make a great manager after he retires, whenever that is. I'm all for moving on from Ventura though. Great 3B and teammate, not so great manager.

Greg will be thrilled. So there's that. Not as much as Ozzie coming back, though.

Terry Bevington. He wasn't ready when he had the job before, but he has had some more coaching experience and managerial experience on the minor league and independent league levels. He is now ready. Maybe bring in Jaime Navarro as a pitching coach if Coop puts up a stink, and the Sox will be really rolling coaching-wise.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jan 4, 2014 -> 11:07 AM)
Ahhh, OK. Maybe we should retitle this one and use it since its deviated from Karko anyway.

If we renamed every thread when it deviates from the initial subject all the admins would quit due to overwhelming workloads.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 4, 2014 -> 09:10 AM)
Terry Bevington. He wasn't ready when he had the job before, but he has had some more coaching experience and managerial experience on the minor league and independent league levels. He is now ready. Maybe bring in Jaime Navarro as a pitching coach if Coop puts up a stink, and the Sox will be really rolling coaching-wise.

I still remember when Bevington walked to the mound to pull a starter, motioned for a reliever but he had forgotten to get a guy warmed up first. Good ole Terry.

QUOTE (TomPickle @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 10:52 PM)
How about a computer generated manager that makes its decisions off real-time Twitter interactions?

#suicidesqueeze

Computers don't work very well communicating with locker rooms or the media, however I would have no problem with the Sox cancelling all pre- and post-game press conferences and instead handing out a toll free number to the media where they can speak to a young, energetic, female sounding robot which provides game recaps, statistics, and general bits of information like "He's our _____ and we're sticking by him," and so on. They have a system like that currently in effect but the technology upgrade over Rongey would be worth it IMO.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 4, 2014 -> 10:08 AM)
If we renamed every thread when it deviates from the initial subject all the admins would quit due to overwhelming workloads.

Nothing wrong with a little anarchy.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 4, 2014 -> 10:46 AM)
AJ is Steve Stone's replacement.

I would hope Hawks replacement. AJ and Stone would be funny together. Farmer and Stone were very entertaining on the radio.

Back to Karko, has he done anything in baseball since he retired? Just trying to guage if he's a realistic possibility.