Long Term Manager Plan

rowand's rowdies

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jan 4, 2014 -> 10:11 AM)
I still remember when Bevington walked to the mound to pull a starter, motioned for a reliever but he had forgotten to get a guy warmed up first. Good ole Terry.

It was Robin who suggested that Foulke should go to the mound to warmup, while the real reliever quickly warmed up in the pen to come in the game.

QUOTE (midway @ Jan 4, 2014 -> 04:31 PM)
Before hiring Ventura there was talk of offering Paulie a player/manager position...so is this year a learning experience for him being.. able to sit back with Ventura in the dugout on days off?

That was my theory as well. It is a sort of on the job training, and seeing if he likes the job.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 4, 2014 -> 04:32 PM)
It was Robin who suggested that Foulke should go to the mound to warmup, while the real reliever quickly warmed up in the pen to come in the game.

You know what, you're right. Damn foggy brain from all the beers I used to drink at games.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Jan 4, 2014 -> 10:11 AM)
I still remember when Bevington walked to the mound to pull a starter, motioned for a reliever but he had forgotten to get a guy warmed up first. Good ole Terry.

One of soxtalk was at that game, either ss2k5 or Dick Allen

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 4, 2014 -> 06:32 PM)

I was. Most horrifying thing ever. I was sitting out in RF before they had remodeled the stadium, and had a perfect angle to see right into the White Sox pen where no one was warming up. My "favorite" part was the bullpen coach standing in the door way with his arms in the air like "what the f*** are you pointing out here for, dumbass?"

QUOTE (midway @ Jan 4, 2014 -> 04:31 PM)
Before hiring Ventura there was talk of offering Paulie a player/manager position...so is this year a learning experience for him being.. able to sit back with Ventura in the dugout on days off?

I was listening to a teleconference with Paulie a couple of weeks ago. He has no interest in coaching or managing in the major leagues at least for several years.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 4, 2014 -> 06:32 PM)

I was too but the memory was wrong no doubt. My brother and I used to show up 2 hours early and split a case of MGD's in the parking lot so we were rather drunk before the game even started. I'm thinking this just might be why I didn't remember correctly. Damn beers getcha every time.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 4, 2014 -> 07:48 PM)
I was listening to a teleconference with Paulie a couple of weeks ago. He has no interest in coaching or managing in the major leagues at least for several years.

Are you sure that was Paul Konerko and not Robin Ventura?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 4, 2014 -> 06:51 PM)
Are you sure that was Paul Konerko and not Robin Ventura?

Oh snap.

If anything good comes out of Konerko watching a lot of baseball this year from the bench, he'll probably know if he ever wants to manage someday.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 5, 2014 -> 01:15 AM)
Oh snap.

If anything good comes out of Konerko watching a lot of baseball this year from the bench, he'll probably know if he ever wants to manage someday.

If he's healthy I don't think he's going to be doing a lot of watching. He'll hate it and the team will hate it. I predict if he's getting as few at bats that many of you think he'll be getting, he'll retire at all star break IF team is out of the race already.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 4, 2014 -> 08:26 PM)
If he's healthy I don't think he's going to be doing a lot of watching. He'll hate it and the team will hate it. I predict if he's getting as few at bats that many of you think he'll be getting, he'll retire at all star break IF team is out of the race already.

I honestly think you will be wrong on all of this.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 4, 2014 -> 06:48 PM)

I'd assume he wants to spend more time with his 16,000 square foot house. And I guess his three children too.

Paulie is the "solid guy" type

Let's say Kenny Williams is a big pothead, he and Rick Hahn are bong buddies, always getting stoned in new places, walking around Home Depot all baked looking for parts to make a new bong, etc. Paulie's like the friend since grade school, real solid guy, and when Kenny & Rick are having people over & smoking he's always there, smiling, sipping his drink, not really getting in on the bud at all, bumping fists though, etc. At the end of the day they're all friends, but I don't think Paulie really fits their mold, and I don't think he's going to anytime soon. Solid guy, loyal, everybody loves him, but I think there's a different agenda & soon he'll probably fly fly away and start a new life somewhere else.

I think Paulie would rather be a groundskeeper than a coach or manager.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 4, 2014 -> 10:46 AM)
AJ is Steve Stone's replacement.

Why replace Stone? He is the only decent one... Replace Hawk with anyone else (Wimpy, Darren, etc...), and I can go back to watching the Sox again.

Edited by Whitey

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jan 8, 2014 -> 12:12 AM)
Ugh! Just what we need. More former players turned into managers.

I'm confused as well. Where do want to get a Baseball manager from?

I assume you mean you don't want a former White Sox player making his managerial debut with the White Sox like Robin.

I just assuming that is what you meant...