2014 Book Thread

hogan873

So, it certainly seems like there are a lot of readers on this board. I know the yearly book thread doesn't get the same kind of action the TV, movie, or video game threads do, but if we can share what we're reading with each other, why not?

So, what is everyone reading? What have you read? Any suggestions for the rest of us?

I got handful of books for Christmas.

So far I’m about half-way through Horns by Joe Hill (Stephen King’s oldest son). It’s about a dude that wakes up one day with horns growing out of his head and some really strange powers to go with them. He was accused of murdering his GF a year prior but never formally charged. So now he’s finding out who the real killer was/is.

Stephen definitely passed down some writing talent to his son. There are a couple of times in the book where suddenly I’m am reading a flashback with no warning but so far it’s pretty good.

I just finished up Dr. Sleep which is the sequel to The Shining. I really enjoyed it and actually liked it better than The Shining. I ended up re-reading The Shining right afterword and picked up on a number references to it in Dr. Sleep that I had missed because it had been so long since I first read it.

Next on my to-read list are Heart-Shaped Box, NOS4A2, and the Frankenstein series by Dean Koontz.

I read the original Frankenstein book over the summer and then the first DK Frankenstein book a couple of months ago. The basic premise is that both Dr. Frankenstein and his monster are still alive in modern times. The Dr. is attempting to create a superior race of humans and his original creation wants to stop him.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 02:50 PM)
I got handful of books for Christmas.

So far I’m about half-way through Horns by Joe Hill (Stephen King’s oldest son). It’s about a dude that wakes up one day with horns growing out of his head and some really strange powers to go with them. He was accused of murdering his GF a year prior but never formally charged. So now he’s finding out who the real killer was/is.

Stephen definitely passed down some writing talent to his son. There are a couple of times in the book where suddenly I’m am reading a flashback with no warning but so far it’s pretty good.

I just finished up Dr. Sleep which is the sequel to The Shining. I really enjoyed it and actually liked it better than The Shining. I ended up re-reading The Shining right afterword and picked up on a number references to it in Dr. Sleep that I had missed because it had been so long since I first read it.

Next on my to-read list are Heart-Shaped Box, NOS4A2, and the Frankenstein series by Dean Koontz.

I read the original Frankenstein book over the summer and then the first DK Frankenstein book a couple of months ago. The basic premise is that both Dr. Frankenstein and his monster are still alive in modern times. The Dr. is attempting to create a superior race of humans and his original creation wants to stop him.

I enjoyed all three of Joe Hill's books. I liked NOS4A2 the best. There's no doubt, after reading that one, that he is Stephen King's son. By the way, Horns is being made into a movie, and I think it's due to come out in the fall.

I've only read the first Koontz Frankenstein. I thought it was pretty good. I'll get around to reading the others soon. Otherwise, I've read just about every Dean Koontz book. His earlier stuff is much better, but Odd Thomas was a great book. I'm currently reading his latest, Innocence. It's one of his better ones of late, but I still miss his writing style of Watchers, Phantoms, and Lightning.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 9, 2014 -> 03:25 PM)
I enjoyed all three of Joe Hill's books. I liked NOS4A2 the best. There's no doubt, after reading that one, that he is Stephen King's son. By the way, Horns is being made into a movie, and I think it's due to come out in the fall.

I know that it was shown at the Toronto International Film Festival but I haven’t read anything about a US release date yet.