Rick Hahn approval poll

witesoxfan

How has Rick done?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Please choose one

• Approve
    • Disapprove
    • Not sure

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 03:13 PM)
So if these prospects do flame out and the Sox keep losing 90 games every year, is he still doing a good job?

Exactly. His job description is recognizing and acquiring players that will help you win. If these guys do, he's done a tremendous job. If not, not so good.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 04:12 PM)
Ugh.

Right.

Go back to all the Flowers is better than AJ posts for another version of this. Or Fields over Crede, whatever. On paper ceilings look beautiful, then s*** happens.

Pods stole 70 bases in a single season & stole a combined 212 bases during a 4 consecutive season period *in the Major Leagues.* He also battled injuries. He was also, like Eaton, a CF prospect with questions who had to move to LF because he lacked arm strength for the position. Whatever his perfect world on-paper ceiling was it was certainly much higher than what he actually accomplished, and when you look at what he actually accomplished he did quite a bit, much more than most OF prospects who make it to the MLB level.

Whatever you think Eaton's ceiling is, get ready to be disappointed because it's pretty unlikely you're going to get it. And if at the end of the day Eaton puts up a career similar to what Pods has done, then he's been worth trading for & worth starting.

As far as that projection crap go back and look at our wonderful history of pre-season prospect projections, where guys like Flowers and Anthony Carter and Jon Link etc. play important roles on the team. It means nothing. The DBacks traded a very good LHSP prospect to upgrade over him with a butcher of a K machine in LF, looking for power. Now while it may be easy to say the DBacks are stupid & we're geniuses, I think it's much likelier that they actually know to evaluate their own players & that your expectations of Eaton are unrealistically high.

I'm sorry man, looking at REAL NUMBERS, Podsednik never came close to what Eaton has done at the minors and in Spring Training, and his age 25 season in the majors pales in comparison to Eaton's 23 and 24 year old seasons.

Pods in the minors had a career .692 OPS and .719 in the majors. Not far off.

Eaton's is .951 in the minors. Obviously time will tell, but Pods only had ONE season ever with a WAR above 1.5 and Eaton is projected for 2 or 3 in his age 25 season.

Is it certain that Eaton is better than Pods, nope. Is it highly, highly likely? Absolutely.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 02:52 PM)
Obviously I approve, but around here, popularity is an elevator ride. Even for World champion GMs

The ghost has spoken. LOL The question will soon be asked and that is "what has he done for us lately?" The fans here are very fickle that way

Pods was a no-defense, no-arm, no-power, little-walk, okay-hit, super-fast-until-he-got-hurt-all-the-time player. Eaton is a good defense, strong arm, better hit tool, many more walks, and just as promising but as-of-yet less productive runner. They're really not very similar. Pods should be seen as a floor of Eaton -- productive as a LH speed guy for a few years

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 05:28 PM)
Pods was a no-defense, no-arm, no-power, little-walk, okay-hit, super-fast-until-he-got-hurt-all-the-time player. Eaton is a good defense, strong arm, better hit tool, many more walks, and just as promising but as-of-yet less productive runner. They're really not very similar. Pods should be seen as a floor of Eaton -- productive as a LH speed guy for a few years

^

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)
I disapprove. Until Hahn get a legitimate left-handed middle of the order power hitter and shuts Lillian up forever, he's failed.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 04:04 PM)
As long as he keeps making moves like this, yes he is.

:lol:

Also, Pods and Eaton are as similar as Buehrle and Quintana.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 06:57 PM)
Even if that major league ready talent doesn't turn out to be very good at major league baseball?

even in that case, like i said, I'd still prefer the GM who makes those moves over the one that signs Matt Garza.

every day of the week.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 04:28 PM)

Closer to Darren Erstad than Scotty Pods.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 07:26 PM)
Which trade do you guys prefer? Hector for Eaton or Reed for Davidson?

I think the Eaton trade is a lot safer and there is a good chance we win that one. With the Davidson acquisition, I think it could easily go either way, but if we do end up winning that trade it'll be by a landslide.

Agree with everything you say here. I really like both moves, but I love the Reed for Davidson move and I know we have a high probability of losing the deal. 3B is one of the weakest positions in baseball right now and a huge trouble spot for our organization. Acquiring a 23 year old, major league ready 3B with tons of upside for a non-elite closer just makes so much sense for us right now. Obviously it's a risky move given Reed's major league success and Davidson's huge bust potential (ridculously high K rate), but part of that risk can be mitigated by turning Nate Jones into a solid closer and potentially an attractive trade chip. Regardless, I'll take my chances on possibly filling a gigantic hole with a young player with massive potential at the expense of a closer during what will likely be a non-competitive season.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 07:26 PM)
Which trade do you guys prefer? Hector for Eaton or Reed for Davidson?

I think the Eaton trade is a lot safer and there is a good chance we win that one. With the Davidson acquisition, I think it could easily go either way, but if we do end up winning that trade it'll be by a landslide.

Well, I think the Hector/Eaton trade is low risk/mid reward for both teams. And the Reed/Davidson trade is mid risk/high reward.

I approved but really there's no real reason for him to stop right now. The team is taking shape to be better than last year, unless the defense remains horrible, which is possible, and if the new guys for some reason can't hit a lick.

But with some payroll flexibility remaining and still some bodies that might be tradeable, it'd be nice to see him acquire a catcher of some magnitude and a second baseman who can hit, assuming Semien isn't ready for another year.

We need to upgrade our offense some more, assuming the defense is going to again cost us dearly. The general consensus on this board at least is the pitching should be pretty good again.

Edited by greg775