Food thread

witesoxfan

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 02:06 PM)
An ex of mine used to make it for me...trust me, it is worth it...most of it is just giving the dough more time, if I remember correctly.

The recipe i googled called for rye flour and wheat germ, as well as honey or barley malt. As it stands I have one of those ingredients in my cabinet(honey), lol.

i have no problem giving dough plenty of time to rise. I actually have a perfect room to do it in also, my water heater/boiler room. It is constantly between 85-95 degrees in there, so I just put the dough in that room in the morning after I make the dough and forget about it until its time to make pizza.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 01:52 PM)
A bar out here in Plainfield called McBrides has the best $4 hamburger ever (on Sundays). Just awesome.

I've been there but haven't had a burger yet.

Speaking of Plainfield, Moe Joe's has a wild boar burger that is unbelievable. It has pretty much becaome my staple meal when we go there.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 02:52 PM)
I've been there but haven't had a burger yet.

Speaking of Plainfield, Moe Joe's has a wild boar burger that is unbelievable. It has pretty much becaome my staple meal when we go there.

That is the only thing I've had there and it is outstanding.

Second the Edzo's recommendation. Been to the one in Evanston a few times. So good.

There's a Five Guys across the street from where I work, but I think if went there mid-workday I'd die.

And Wite, what are these Scotch Eggs you speak of and where did you have them here in Minneapolis?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 02:06 PM)
Just got done stuffin my fat face with Chipotle. Their guac is the bestest.

Chicken burrito bowl (extra meat), both rice, both beans, mild salsa, roasted chili-corn, cheese and lettuce.

Every. Single. Time.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 02:45 PM)
I'm more of a Qdoba guy myself. But I eat at Chipotle much more often because it's right down the street from me.

Agreed. I like Qdoba way more than Chipotle, but Chipotle is fine. Both of them blow Baja Sol out of the water.

• 3 months later...
QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 6, 2014 -> 01:01 PM)
Yeah I posted this in the catch all thread. Why isn't he selling? Take that lump sum of millions and go retire on an island somewhere.

I bet he doesnt want anything to taint the reputation he has built as people will flock to whatever new thing he dreams up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 6, 2014 -> 01:03 PM)
Profit margins are sooo tiny in the food business.

My friends and I are debating this over email right now.

My arguments: (1) I bet he pays next to nothing for his location, (2) he has very little staff - himself, 2-3 bus boys, 2-3 cooks. I'm sure they're not making much more than minimum wage. (3) it's a cash-only business, (4) the food, while unique, isn't all that complex. It's not like he has to stock an entire kitchen for 40 entrees, (5) he has a 2 hour wait every day he's open, (6) he's been on national TV shows and won all sorts of national awards.

Still, even if he hasn't pulled in that much, surely the place is worth that much. He should have opened up a couple of restaurants by now, but even though he didn't a buyer would. I think he could get several millions easy if he wanted to sell.

Edited by Jenksismybitch