Predict when the Sox announce Tanaka 's signing

sin city sox fan

Pick the day  

16 members have voted

1. 1. When will it be official that the Japanese phenom will join our staff?

• Sunday Jan 12
    • Monday Jan 13
    • Tuesday Jan 14
    • Later in the week

Its too early to expect a decision. Tanaka's MRI results need to be handed out (any day now), then teams need their medical staff to review the MRI, then allow for time of teams competing in a possible bidding war and then we can expect a decision. I'm going guess Thursday Jan. 23 is when an announcement will be made, hopefully by the White Sox.

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Jan 11, 2014 -> 05:25 PM)
We can get it done by Tuesday. Just send some strippers to his hotel room. If titties don't work, than send chicken wings. No man can resist titties and chicken wings.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 11, 2014 -> 05:31 PM)
So, in other words, just bring him to Hooter's?

Chicago style pizza? Could have really used Dennis Farina on this one!

QUOTE (Whitey @ Jan 11, 2014 -> 06:02 PM)
My ideal scenario... Sox sign Tanaka then trade Sale.

I get trading Sale when he is the only good piece on this team. But put Tanaka and Sale and Quintana in the same rotation and it should make this team a contender in 2015, maybe even 2014 if Detroit struggles. Adding Tanaka make me LESS inclined to want to trade Sale, not more.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 11, 2014 -> 05:48 PM)
I get trading Sale when he is the only good piece on this team. But put Tanaka and Sale and Quintana in the same rotation and it should make this team a contender in 2015, maybe even 2014 if Detroit struggles. Adding Tanaka make me LESS inclined to want to trade Sale, not more.

It would not surprise me if they have a trade ready for Quintana if they sign Tanaka. I would guess for a catcher. I can not see them trading Sale unless it starts with a young established all star position player and then adds multiple top prospects. I just think the Sox love Sale and they would demand the moon and the sun plus a PTBNL.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 11, 2014 -> 06:08 PM)
It would not surprise me if they have a trade ready for Quintana if they sign Tanaka. I would guess for a catcher. I can not see them trading Sale unless it starts with a young established all star position player and then adds multiple top prospects. I just think the Sox love Sale and they would demand the moon and the sun plus a PTBNL.

There's no way Tanaka's not going to the Yankees now that they've cleared $31 million from their 2014 payroll.

QUOTE (timbo @ Jan 11, 2014 -> 08:14 PM)
Money isnt everthing look at choo

Thank you, I tried explaining this in the other Tanaka thread and it fell on deaf ears. This is TANAKA'S CHOICE on who to sign with and not the yanks. Good to see someone else is capable of thinking outside the media box.

QUOTE (timbo @ Jan 11, 2014 -> 08:14 PM)
Money isnt everthing look at choo

That's not a good example because with state income taxes being lower in Texas, he's actually going to end up making MORE money, so you can't just look at the surface value of the contract.

You also have to take into consideration the city/state/local taxes in California (Oakland/Anaheim) as well as Seattle, as that's where a good percentage of their away games are played. Each one of those game checks is assessed at 1/162nd of his yearly salary.

Bottom line, he's going to end up with $8 million more over the life of the contract.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 11, 2014 -> 08:23 PM)
That's not a good example because with state income taxes being lower in Texas, he's actually going to end up making MORE money, so you can't just look at the surface value of the contract.

You also have to take into consideration the city/state/local taxes in California (Oakland/Anaheim) as well as Seattle, as that's where a good percentage of their away games are played. Each one of those game checks is assessed at 1/162nd of his yearly salary.

Bottom line, he's going to end up with $8 million more over the life of the contract.

This isn't a good point either. While it could be true, how do you know Choo didn't make his decision based on hot sun beams per game. 800 billion hotter sunbeams divided over 162 games is significantly more than the Yanks could ever offer.

Or maybe he wanted to go to the team with the most Texas-Rangers-like uniforms?

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 11, 2014 -> 11:28 PM)
This isn't a good point either. While it could be true, how do you know Choo didn't make his decision based on hot sun beams per game. 800 billion hotter sunbeams divided over 162 games is significantly more than the Yanks could ever offer.

Or maybe he wanted to go to the team with the most Texas-Rangers-like uniforms?

Maybe Jason Werth went to the Nationals because he was a history buff, but probably not :)

Seems like a pretty safe default position to take that players go where they're paid the most (or very close). So the burden of proof is on the one claiming that they signed for other reasons. Since Choo went to the place where he got the most money, I'd say it's more evidence in support of the $$$$ camp.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Jan 11, 2014 -> 05:25 PM)
We can get it done by Tuesday. Just send some strippers to his hotel room. If titties don't work, than send chicken wings. No man can resist titties and chicken wings.

I'm afraid that they'll spoil by the time they get to Japan.