Spring Training 2014

justBLAZE

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 08:35 AM)
I honestly don't think either is a poor justification even if he hit well in the Spring. It's still Spring Training. These numbers mean absolutely nothing. If you can save money and keep a player for a longer period of time by keeping them in the minors for an extra 30-60 days, I'd do it every time.

He did get 50 days on the roster last year, so in reality we are talking about more like the All-Star break, or later, to save that extra year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 09:27 AM)
He did get 50 days on the roster last year, so in reality we are talking about more like the All-Star break, or later, to save that extra year.

We may still see him around June. I'm not sure if the Sox care quite as much about the Super 2 eligibility, but they can manipulate the system enough to actually get an extra year of service time out of him.

It could logically be around the ASB too. I wouldn't be opposed.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 10:38 AM)
We may still see him around June. I'm not sure if the Sox care quite as much about the Super 2 eligibility, but they can manipulate the system enough to actually get an extra year of service time out of him.

It could logically be around the ASB too. I wouldn't be opposed.

Assuming he doesn't make the roster out of ST, a lot of when he comes up may depend on what Gillaspie does with the 3b spot.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 06:14 AM)
Not sure... but I can tell you that Scott Merkin told FS he's going by Micker Adolfo now. Apparently this is a paternal/maternal name thing, but many players from LatAm take on the more American paternal last name when they get here, which he apparently has. So you won't see the Sox using the Zapata part of his name.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 07:08 AM)

Thanks.

Too bad - I like Zapata better.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 12:09 PM)
Zach Stewart to Atlanta for cash.

Raise your hand if you forgot Stewart was still with the Sox organization.

Hi.

I have always wondered how much cash is actually exchanged in these types of deals. I am sure the league makes them give up something, but I bet it isn't even 5 figures.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 08:14 AM)
Not sure... but I can tell you that Scott Merkin told FS he's going by Micker Adolfo now. Apparently this is a paternal/maternal name thing, but many players from LatAm take on the more American paternal last name when they get here, which he apparently has. So you won't see the Sox using the Zapata part of his name.

Micker Adolfo Zapata would be his name, but the Spanish naming custom is First (Middle) Father's Surname Mother's Surname. However, you normally wouldn't call someone by their full name, just first name and father's surname. For example, Dayan's full name is Dayan Viciedo Perez, because his mother's surname is Perez.

Of interest is that it is not custom for women to take on the husband's surname in most Spanish speaking countries. In Latin America, if they do, it never becomes the "primary" surname. If you were Daysi Correa Perez and married Gabriel Abreu Gonzalez, you might change your name to Daysi Correa de Abreu, but you'd still be addressed as Daysi Correa or Senora Correa.

Alejandro de Aza is really Alejandro Alberto De Aza Ceda - at one point in his past, I'm guessing his family name (or, very likely, the family name of the people who owned his slave ancestors) was not "De Aza" but rather something else followed by "de Aza," which would indicate that they came from the town of Haza, Spain. You can tell that this is no longer the intended meaning (beyond the fact that nobody really adds "from Chicago" to their names) because he capitalizes the word "De," indicating it is part of his last name.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 12:19 PM)
I have always wondered how much cash is actually exchanged in these types of deals. I am sure the league makes them give up something, but I bet it isn't even 5 figures.

I think there might be a minimum amount set by the league that is in the 5 figures range for cash trades

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 03:43 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 8m

Flowers, hitting now, still looking like the White Sox No. 1 catcher as of March 10 (and probably beyond)

I think this is the right call. And if Nieto looks capable of handling 150 ABs and not letting too many balls to the backstop, I'd go ahead and keep him and put Phegs in AAA. If Flowers can't keep his head above .200 after a few months, Flowers gets released and Phegley gets called up, probably to become starter

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 02:51 PM)
I think this is the right call. And if Nieto looks capable of handling 150 ABs and not letting too many balls to the backstop, I'd go ahead and keep him and put Phegs in AAA. If Flowers can't keep his head above .200 after a few months, Flowers gets released and Phegley gets called up, probably to become starter

...until he quickly proves he isn't up to it, either. I'm not confident, obviously, but your scenario is definitely plausible.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 03:51 PM)

Making Nieto a backup doesn't make any sense. If you think he's a prospect, you want to make a trade to keep him in the minors where he can actually play and develop. If on the very, very, very slim chance you think he can start in the majors, go for it. If you don't think he's a prospect, he hasn't played above A ball and will be terrible in the majors. There is no scenario where keeping him as the backup is a good idea.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 02:55 PM)
Making Nieto a backup doesn't make any sense. If you think he's a prospect, you want to make a trade to keep him in the minors where he can actually play and develop. If on the very, very, very slim chance you think he can start in the majors, go for it. If you don't think he's a prospect, he hasn't played above A ball and will be terrible in the majors. There is no scenario where keeping him as the backup is a good idea.

But we may need to work the system a bit by making the Nats think we're willing to keep him on the roster, so that they're more willing to trade for very little. A game of GM "chicken", so to speak.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)
But we may need to work the system a bit by making the Nats think we're willing to keep him on the roster, so that they're more willing to trade for very little. A game of GM "chicken", so to speak.

I really don't think the Nats would fall for that sort of game. The whole world realizes the chances of this guy, or any other A-ball catcher, of making the majors, are incredibly slim. Sox just need to decide if they see Nieto as a potential future starter, and if they do, offer a prospect of similar value (someone in like the 20-25 range in our system, give or take) at a different position, and the Nats would likely take it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 03:06 PM)
I really don't think the Nats would fall for that sort of game. The whole world realizes the chances of this guy, or any other A-ball catcher, of making the majors, are incredibly slim. Sox just need to decide if they see Nieto as a potential future starter, and if they do, offer a prospect of similar value (someone in like the 20-25 range in our system, give or take) at a different position, and the Nats would likely take it.

Sure, and that is most likely. But Rizzo may decide to be a prick, and we're semi-punting the season anyway.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 01:06 PM)

Maybe a couple of those 1000 pitchers we have will do the trick.