Spring Training 2014

justBLAZE

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 03:22 PM)
I view tools and skill to be pretty much the same thing. Different players are going to have different skills that are part of their overall toolset. It's the skill vs. will comparison that will set players apart. Granted, if a guy has little skill, all the will in the world won't help him at the MLB level. But, if you have two players with similar skills and one busts his ass day in and day out to get better, he's going to succeed over a guy who tries to fall back to his "god-given" skills.

Garcia is a guy with the skills to be a great player, but he's going to have to bust his ass.

See I see "skill" as what you develop, tools as something like ability. Like a pitcher may have a crazy good arm, but his path to developing command and control is a "skill."

Avisail has great strength, speed, hand-eye coordination. These are his abilities, gifts, tools, etc. But the "skill" of hitting is pitch recognition, pitch selection, muscle memory, body control, swing mechanics, mental planning, etc.

Anyway I'm not saying I'm the authority on how those words are used, but that's what I've meant when I've used them.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 02:37 PM)
Not fitting the bill on this puts him in company shared by, oh, all but 2 or 3 people in the history of Earth

Don't blame me, blame all 700 players/media personalities who keep comparing him to Miguel Cabrera!

Edited by Eminor3rd

WHITE SOX MAKE SIX ROSTER MOVES

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Wednesday, March 19, 2014

GLENDALE, Ariz. – Prior to today’s game vs. the Angels, the Chicago White Sox made the following six roster moves:

· Optioned C Josh Phegley, RHP Andre Rienzo and LHP Eric Surkamp to Class AAA Charlotte;

· Reassigned RHP Chris Beck, INF Andy Wilkins and RHP Cody Winiarski to minor-league camp.

With the moves, the White Sox have 38 players remaining in major-league camp: 17 pitchers, three catchers, 12 infielders and six outfielders.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 11:03 AM)
WHITE SOX MAKE SIX ROSTER MOVES

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Wednesday, March 19, 2014

GLENDALE, Ariz. – Prior to today’s game vs. the Angels, the Chicago White Sox made the following six roster moves:

· Optioned C Josh Phegley, RHP Andre Rienzo and LHP Eric Surkamp to Class AAA Charlotte;

· Reassigned RHP Chris Beck, INF Andy Wilkins and RHP Cody Winiarski to minor-league camp.

With the moves, the White Sox have 38 players remaining in major-league camp: 17 pitchers, three catchers, 12 infielders and six outfielders.

Phegley, Rienzo, and Surkamp are surprising. How is Axelrod still up?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 11:06 AM)
Looks like Nieto has a real shot VS Hector. Also I find it encouraging that Micah Johnson is still up.

If Keppinger and Beckham were healthy right now, Johnson would probably be gone too. Johnson and Liddi are backing up the backups.

No knock on Micah though. He's going to be a good player.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 03:22 PM)
I view tools and skill to be pretty much the same thing. Different players are going to have different skills that are part of their overall toolset.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 03:30 PM)
See I see "skill" as what you develop, tools as something like ability. Like a pitcher may have a crazy good arm, but his path to developing command and control is a "skill."

Avisail has great strength, speed, hand-eye coordination. These are his abilities, gifts, tools, etc. But the "skill" of hitting is pitch recognition, pitch selection, muscle memory, body control, swing mechanics, mental planning, etc.

Anyway I'm not saying I'm the authority on how those words are used, but that's what I've meant when I've used them.

Eminor covered it. The way scouts speak about this, tools are physical (and mental) abilities, and are the raw variety. Skills are specific to a job, like baseball player, and have to be developed from the tools.

Running fast is a tool, becoming a good baserunner or having effectively good range in the field are skills because you have to add certain mental capabilities and routines. Throwing a ball hard is a tool, throwing it accurately to the right place in the right situation is a learned skill.

How is the Sox defense this spring?

No diss on Robin, but let's say our team is horrible defensively again and full of mental errors on the basepaths again. Do you think he'd be in trouble job-wise, considering the Sox have a lot of young players?

I just hope the Sox make it clear early in the season they are not going to be the patsies of the Central and are gonna show some fight. In fact, maybe a bench clearing brawl early on vs. KC or Cleveland to set the tone? I know some people on here don't like baseball fights, so I will say that in advance lest you think I'm pulling a troll.

I just want some fight in our team this year and I want to see good, fundamental baseball under Robin.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 11:46 PM)

No diss on Robin, but let's say our team is horrible defensively again and full of mental errors on the basepaths again. Do you think he'd be in trouble job-wise, considering the Sox have a lot of young players?

I just hope the Sox make it clear early in the season they are not going to be the patsies of the Central and are gonna show some fight. In fact, maybe a bench clearing brawl early on vs. KC or Cleveland to set the tone? I know some people on here don't like baseball fights, so I will say that in advance lest you think I'm pulling a troll.

I just want some fight in our team this year and I want to see good, fundamental baseball under Robin.

It's looked turrable in the 2 games I've seen.

A fight would be dumb.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 11:46 PM)

Considering Ventura just signed an extension, I'd say he has job security.

And bench clearing brawls are the worst. They are pointless and just end up with players getting hurt and suspended.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 20, 2014 -> 08:40 AM)
It's been pretty bad, from what I've seen.

It really has, but it is hard to determine during spring training games when there is always of mix of regulars and not so regulars on the field. You would think it has to be better than last year. If it isn't, there are going to be a lot of posts wanting the White Sox to lose for draft picks.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Mar 20, 2014 -> 05:06 AM)
It's looked turrable in the 2 games I've seen.

A fight would be dumb.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 20, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)
It's been pretty bad, from what I've seen.

Damn. Our defense is looking lousy again? Still debating whether or not to get mlb.com. I don't think I could stand watching a season where we are owned by those Central Division teams again. If we can hold our own with those Central bums I might buy.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 20, 2014 -> 11:21 PM)
Damn. Our defense is looking lousy again? Still debating whether or not to get mlb.com. I don't think I could stand watching a season where we are owned by those Central Division teams again. If we can hold our own with those Central bums I might buy.

Do you want to see a team that has a chance at winning the AL Central? If so, buy it and watch the Tigers. The Sox likely are not going to be competitive, and it's likely going to be ugly.

If you want to see a rebuilding team with a ton of young talent and one of the best young hitters in the Central, then buy it and watch the White Sox.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 20, 2014 -> 09:21 PM)

Greg if you can afford it no problem get it. There's Abreu, Eaton, Eric Johnson, Avisail Garcia, maybe even Semien and Davidson to watch develop. How could you not want to see Sale pitch ? Spring training is no place to judge defense. The ground is hard and the skies are high in Az. Semien is playing great and since Gordon is sort of injured Semien just might make opening day. Chances are less for Davidson because the Sox might not want to start his arbitration clock just yet and Gillaspie just might develop into a tradeable asset. But Davidson has also had a very nice spring after a slow start.

Besides you're a Sox fan. Forget the bad stuff , forget about wins and losses during a rebuild. Look for and revel in the promise of youth and the exuberance of youth when they have walk off wins and come from behind wins.

There will always be b****ing and whining about stuff . Look for the silver linings and you will be fine.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 08:44 AM)
So that opens up the door for Leury Garcia or possibly Semien.

Sounds like he might be out for quite some time...at least most of April.

If Beckham goes out, I think Marcus breaks camp. If it is just Kepp, I think it is Garcia. I am sure they want Semien playing every day.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 08:14 AM)
Greg if you can afford it no problem get it. There's Abreu, Eaton, Eric Johnson, Avisail Garcia, maybe even Semien and Davidson to watch develop. How could you not want to see Sale pitch ? Spring training is no place to judge defense. The ground is hard and the skies are high in Az. Semien is playing great and since Gordon is sort of injured Semien just might make opening day. Chances are less for Davidson because the Sox might not want to start his arbitration clock just yet and Gillaspie just might develop into a tradeable asset. But Davidson has also had a very nice spring after a slow start.

Besides you're a Sox fan. Forget the bad stuff , forget about wins and losses during a rebuild. Look for and revel in the promise of youth and the exuberance of youth when they have walk off wins and come from behind wins.

There will always be b****ing and whining about stuff . Look for the silver linings and you will be fine.

Well said, Cali. So many development possibilities at the MLB level and in the minors that are key to the future, I may need to get the MiLBtv as well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 23, 2014 -> 08:54 AM)
If Beckham goes out, I think Marcus breaks camp. If it is just Kepp, I think it is Garcia. I am sure they want Semien playing every day.

This may be the most plausible scenario.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 09:22 AM)
I don't know about you, but nothing gets me more excited about opening day being a week away than a picture of Jeff Keppinger.

https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/4481010...4024448/photo/1

He is so bad. He had to roll over and ground out to SS at least 100 times last year.

Just got back from Phoenix:

1. Sox are definitely a work in progress but a fun one to watch.

2. Cubs new park is pretty damn sweet and their fans are ridiculously uninformed. Then again, a Sox fan who claimed to be a season ticket holder for 30 years asked me, "who's that big guy playing first?" It was Abreu.

3. I've never seen so many people so happy to be in 80 degree weather.

4. Marcus Semien is ready to play every day.

5. ASU coeds love laying out in the sun at ST parks and I love that they love that.